“Make-Your-Own-Fun-Adventure Dinner”

Pirates Dinner Adventure Buena Park
Ranked #3 of 16 things to do in Buena Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Guests will enjoy an astonishing display of special effects, aerial artistry, swashbuckling swordplay and dynamic duels while enjoying a delicious, four-course feast, fit for a Pirate King! The action is set aboard an 18th Century Spanish galleon adrift in a 250, 000- gallon lagoon. Our talented crew makes this show possible with brilliant actors, singers and stunt performers. Lads, lasses and scallywags of all ages don costumes to bring the adventure to life. Up to 150 volunteers participate in this epic production, truly making it the "World's Most Interactive Dinner Show!" You won't want to miss this adventure of a lifetime, so come ready to laugh, cheer, and sing along with the show!
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I would give this show a terrible, however I managed to enjoy myself so I think I owe at least that much to people who plan to go in the future.
This is mind-numbing entertainment. It's like watching the old Mark Sommer's Double-Dare only with a fever and vaguely pirate-like costumes hanging off the bodies of heroine addicts, and Disney and Abercrombie rejects that got stuck here - as a purposeless love interests. I'm still uncertain why the pirates were racing eachother and throwing "booty" into nets or climbing a rope. I guess competition leads to entertainment? They must have figured, it worked for Double-Dare, why not!
At some point there was some form of cirque du solis reject ribbon dancing, which I think is the part int he story where pirates need to take a break to shoot-up so they brought a "gypsy" to entertain us. In her defence, she was one of the only 2 people in the entire building with any talent (the other being the female pirate lead woman who's reason for beng there esacpes me, but she had a good voice, props to that). Then, of course, the two Abercrombie an Fitch wanna-be models-turned pirate needed love interests so she could fit in there too... along with the horridly unattractive "princess" who kept singing for no reason and opening doors. Were she shark fodder, perhaps this show could bump itself up a rank...
If you're going to go to this, if you really feel you must, I suggest you keep your mind open and your eyes upon the stage. Do NOT look at your food or you risk going hungry, and PLEASE, suck down the beer they give you the MOMENT they give it because they'll only come back 1 more time to fill it up and if you haven't finished it, you're out of luck.
In order to enjoy yourself, act drunk! I shouted... a LOT! And I was a little obscene, this is a PIRATE dinner, I figure, if the show is too calm even for Disney, the audience is going to have to step it up. "Death to the princess," "Kill her!", "Pirates don't sing!" "The British aren't the heroes!" "Pirate's don't compromise!" "what pirate get's married?!" "Where's the raping and pillaging?!" stuff like that. Go crazy. Shout THROUGH the talking and singing, there's honestly no story so it's not making sense at any point, really, you aren't missing anything, at this show, YOU are your own entertainment. (and don't buy any party extras, unless you want a bandana - that should be given away for free but isn't- $20 to have them say someone's name is hardly worth it)

1  Thank Elorian
in 8 reviews
"great family fun"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed February 19, 2008

I recently (Feb 14th) attended the Pirates Adventure Dinner with my son & husband. I booked the dinner specifically because my son is a 5yr old (self proclaimed) Pirate. We were taking him to California for a weekend of Piracy & I booked anything & everything Pirate. After booking the dinner I started reading the reviews & almost cancelled, but thankfully did not. I am delighted to say that it was exactly what we were looking for.
A quick & easy check in to determine which color Pirate you would be assigned to.
The pre show kept us entertained, while we enjoyed horderves which included, chicken wings, shrimp, ravioli, cheese, crackers, cold meats, carrots & celery sticks & fresh fruit. Contrary to the other reviews there was plenty available right up until we entered the dining hall. The drinks at the pre show were very expensive, $18.00 for a Strawberry daiquiri in a souvenir cup. You can only purchase cocktails in the souvenir cup. Our bill for a pre show drink $34.00, which included a beer, a daiquiri & a root beer. Once you are gathered up by your Pirate, you enter the dining hall. A salad awaits you at your table. While the theatre fills, your Pirates chooses volunteers to participate in the show. Our son, who came outfitted in his “everyday Pirate wear”, was chose to participate. We had excellent attentive service from our “wench”, who coordinated his dinner between participating in the show. Dinner was nice, not gourmet, but certainly not as terrible as the below reviews lead you to believe. The choices are beef (cubes) in gravy & seasoned grilled chicken or a creamy shrimp & seafood medley & seasoned grilled chicken, served with fresh vegetables & rice. Children were offered the option of chicken fingers & mashed potatoes with vegetables. It was tasty & hot. Dinner also included 2 beers (Budweiser draft) or 2 glasses of wine (White Zin) per adult & soft drinks for the kids, which was brought & refilled quite quickly.
Each time our son was on the stage, they gave him a participation certificate. He is now officially a member of “Captain Black’s” crew & has a certificate showing his loyalty to the Princess. Overall, we were extremely pleased with our experience & highly recommend it. ARGHHHHH

4  Thank APiratesMom
Reviewed February 9, 2008

this place is a sorry poor excuse for dinner and a sorry poor excuse for a show i paid the extra money to have the "better" seats the so called captains chair and they crammed me in a bench with 6 adults i saw one person that couldnt sit down sitting in the aisle eating from the side of the bench then they give you the cheapest crappiest food ever who gives you a ranch packet at a restauraunt ? almost all of the staff is rude! there was a couple kind faces and the rest were acting like they want you to do exactly what they say or leave !!! one of the actors asked this woman to come on stage and she said no and he starts yelling at her making her embarrassed he said THIS IS NOT A REQUEST GET DOWN HERE UNLESS YOUR PREGNANT i thought the ladys husband was gonna punch the guy this is ridiculus people dont even waste your time

2  Thank war41
Reviewed February 5, 2008

I didn't pay money to see this show but I still somehow feel ripped off. I guess it's because I expected pirates, dinner and a show but instead got bored teenage employees playing dress up, actors/singers with very limited talent, and a plate of food I would think twice before serving to my dog. The bar is tiny with huge lines... although why someone would wait to spend $16 on a mixed drink is dumbfounding.

The pre-show entertainment is the highlight and you should definitely turn around and walk out the building when it ends. Being ushered into the "dinner theatre" is like throwing yourself head first into your own 6 ft. grave... except nobody is there to pour dirt on you so you have to endure the pain from the fall.

Seating is tricky, the arena is not as big as Medieval Times and for some reason the person in charge of designing the set thought it a good idea to block your view of most of the action on stage. That's fine. I was over it already. I was more busy wondering if the dishwashers could keep it down in the kitchen because I could hear all the activity behind me and nothing from the inadequate sound system. I was also too busy wondering why my feet were sticking to the floor to really care about which colored pirate was winning or losing or if any form of consistent narrative was ever going to begin.

This is a musical dinner theatre although at no point are you told a song will begin every 2-3 minutes. Songs consist of random lyrics accompanied by random music. The best part was when the show ended. The cherry on top was when they started playing Village People's "YMCA" as we exited the theatre. I remember them having an Indian, biker and construction worker but no pirate. I'm truly embarassed for this place.

Instead of spend $50+ on this show, bury the money in your backyard and make yourself a treasure map. You'll enjoy the thrill of digging for treasure and the experience is more authentic than attending this dump of a dinner show. Plus, you'd still have $50 in your pocket.

4  Thank BertoXplosion