“Fun but needs a little updating”

Knott's Berry Farm Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Buena Park
La Crescenta, California
“Fun but needs a little updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

5 years ago we stayed in one of the Snoopy rooms for my son's 9th birthday. This year my daughter turned 8 and wanted to do the same thing. Not a lot has changed and it might be time for an update. We scored a great package deal online. The Snoopy room, tickets to Knott's Berry Farm, vouchers for the breakfast buffet for everyone in the party and of course a visit from Snoopy at bedtime all for under $350. Parking is free, the room is comfortable and clean and the employees are pleasant and helpful. We had a nice view of the pool area which we didn't get a chance to use but my daughter was chomping at the bit to go play in the water play area. The Snoopy room was decorated in the Peanuts theme which was cute but sparse. I'd really love to see an upgrade though. More Peanuts pictures on the walls, a cute table and chairs set for the kids, maybe a fun activities set or games etc. would all be great additions. Also, making the room extra special for birthday kids would be super cool like a little note from 'Snoopy' saying Happy Birthday with a treat or balloon or something similar would make all the difference. Although, the woman at the front desk did give my daughter a birthday button to wear for the day - which she really liked. There are also stuffed Snoopy's in the room that your child can take home at no charge! A few minor nit picky things that I'll add: The coffee maker is placed in an area that is inconvenient to use as I couldn't find an electrical outlet nearby. So I moved it to the bathroom area near the sink even though this was also inconvenient as it took up almost the entire counter area. There were no coffee stirrers so I had to get creative mixing my cream and sugar. Adding a towel rack or hook of some kind in the bathroom vanity area would be super helpful too as the towels kept getting thrown on the counter or floor (not a big deal to everyone, but a minor convenience that's easily enough added). Wifi is free but we did end up getting charged for use of video games somehow. The front desk said you have to click through several screens accepting the terms for pricing but somehow my kids are savvy enough to do this without Mom and Dad knowing and I suspect many others are as well, so just keep an eye out for this. We were also charged $4 for a bottle of water that we supposedly enjoyed but we never received, however the lady in the billing office had no issue with removing this charge once I explained that we didn't actually receive the water to begin with. Snoopy visits the rooms promptly beginning at 8pm. This is both cute and slightly awkward all the same. Snoopy doesn't speak and even though he does motion and hug and tuck your child into bed, it can feel a little confusing to the kids. My daughter was very excited to get a visit from Snoopy even though she felt like getting tucked into bed this early was strange. We don't usually stick to an early bedtime while on vacation. I'm wondering if a change in venue or even a few options to choose from would be better. For example: if my daughter doesn't want to get tucked in by Snoopy, maybe he could sing Happy Birthday instead. Or possibly all that are interested could meet somewhere for a little story or meet and greet or something of the like to avoid the awkward 'why are you tucking me into bed while I'm still in my street clothes and I'm just going to go back out and play again' line of questioning. The hotel is very close walking distance to Knott's Berry Farm and Soak City in addition to many restaurants. The hotel also has a shuttle that I was told goes to Disneyland. The one thing that came up that I was really hoping to get some help with and was ultimately disappointed was when my son broke his ankle and ended up in a cast with crutches the day before our vacation. We were unprepared for this and even though it was easy enough to rent a wheel chair at Knott's and they were kind enough to offer us a sort of 'fast pass' kind of system of getting on to rides, there were no helpful options for getting back and forth to the park/hotel. There was no access to wheel chairs to/from hotel/park nor were they willing to offer shuttle service. There may have been an option to pick up/drop off near the entrance to the park, but these options weren't explained to us therefore my son hobbled back and forth on his crutches which was exhausting. The breakfast buffet at Amber Waves downstairs in the lobby was really very good. Both of my picky eaters found plenty to eat and everyone was happy. There were ice and soda machines (albeit expensive) on our floor close to our room but we were really longing for late night snacks and no snack machines were anywhere to be found. In addition, the downstairs gift shop doesn't have very late hours either. Overall, we did enjoy our stay and would recommend it for families. Hopefully the hotel will invest in a few upgrades to make it even better!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Stephen R, Front Office Manager at Knott's Berry Farm Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
What an awesome review! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed and well thought out review. We are thrilled that you had a positive experience with us and hope that your daughter’s new snoopy doll will remind her of an awesome birthday experience. I have shared your review with my team and feel that several of your suggestions are completely within reach. We will continue to discuss these changes and hopefully create and even better experience on your next visit! Stephen Ruggiero, Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Whittier, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We live close by the Knott's Hotel and wanted to have a final vacation before school starts up again. Our kids are 7, 4, and 18 months and my mom joined us. We got two adjoining rooms on the eighth floor.
The rooms are standard motel size but very clean and revamped, with a nice desk, flat screen TV, and attractive light fixtures. Our rooms were clean and in perfect working condition. The only two bummers in my opinion: no fridges and the beds have those old comforters that probably get washed twice a year. Knott's, it's time to upgrade to duvets that can be washed after each guest stay.
On to all the great things! The hotel is so darn close to the park. We came and went as we pleased, taking breaks when we were tired and never worrying about parking or driving
The hotel pool has a huge lounge area including a special water area for the kids. Our kids preferred it to Soak City across the street! From the pool area (as well as inside the hotel), you can access the clean restrooms, modern gym or, my husband's favorite, the Sauna.
We did not opt for the Snoopy package where Snoopy tucks the kids into bed at night. So we were so pleased to see that Snoopy roams the hotel periodically each day for visits! We saw Snoopy at dinner, breakfast, and even saying goodbye to departing guests in the lobby!
And finally, Knott's employees generally just have this warm, approachable, genuine, helpful demeanor. Everyone was so, so kind to us.

Room Tip: Pick higher floors facing Soak City. You'll have a great view and catch Disneyland's nightl...
Cliffside Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was the second year for my girls and I to stay at the Knott's Berry Farm Hotel. We like the convenience of being on the premises of the theme park and especially love the early access to the rides! Last year we purchased the option of a room with 2 queen beds, breakfast for 2 days and 2 days of park admission. This year, I opted for the 2 night stay with 2 queen beds and 2 days admission to the park. Upon check-in, I was told there was an overbooking problem when I made my online reservation. The staff graciously offerred a king room with a complimentary roll away bed, 2 days of complimentary breakfasts, and they gave each of my girls a Snoopy doll. Although we prefer the 2 queen beds, the king bed was large enough as we were too exhausted from our fun! The room was clean, neat, and everything worked well. We plan to return next year!

Battleford, Saskatchewan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our whole experience at Knottsberry Farm Hotel and Resort was great from check in to check out. The service at the main desk was awesome, they were incredibly helpful with every question we had. All staff were very friendly. Our room was very large. We loved the pool area and made great use of it during our stay. It was great that the amusement park was only a few minutes walk away. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone staing in the area.

Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We are long time visitors to Knott's. This was our first time staying at the hotel. We stayed in the Camp Snoopy room and my kids were thrilled to get the Snoopy dolls and the visit from Snoopy to tuck them in. The park is not that far away and yet you couldn't even hear the roaring coasters or screaming passengers. And the perk of early entry into the park was definitely a plus! The food in the hotel was very good also!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Glos
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

On the plus side this hotel is very close to the resort allowing you to rest during the day.
Unfortunately we found a lot of negatives and wouldn't stay again.
1. Bathroom was very tired- the plug in one bath didn't work and it was very difficult to turn the water and bath/shower settings on and off
2. Air conditioning was very very noisy and windows didn't open
3. The hotel appears to have a policy on rationing shampoo! Both rooms we were using ran out of shampoo - just very bizarre
4. Rooms dated
5. Long queue to check out

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. While I was happy to learn that the hotel’s location was a positive the rest of your review was definitely upsetting. I have brought the concerns regarding the air conditioning unit and condition of the rest room to the attention of both our Executive Housekeeper and our Chief Engineer. I assure you there is no shortage of shampoo so I am not entirely sure why they were not replaced daily but that has been addressed with our housekeeping team as well. I would feel much better about the situation if you would consider giving us another opportunity to provide you with a better experience. If you are interested in discussing this or any future reservations please feel free to contact me directly at 714-243-2006 or by email at Stephen.Ruggiero@Knotts.com. Stephen Ruggiero, Front Office Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Staying at the Knotts Hotel was wonderful. The staff was very helpful and courteous. The room was basic, however, being in walking distance of Knott's and Soak City was priceless. Not to mention Amber Waves, the restaurant inside the hotel. The breakfast was truly delicious. I will always book a room at The Knott's Berry Farm Hotel when planning a trip to the area

• Stayed July 2013