“Very good - not the very best but very good”

Santa Ynez Valley Marriott
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Buellton
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Very good. Not excellent. Very good.

Definitely not the nicest Marriott but good nonetheless.

Nice guest rooms - very clean. Balconies are very small. Beds are very comfy. Upgraded toiletries. Restaurant is alright - not especially exciting but alright.

Fire pits outside are very nice but the noise from nearby Highway 101 really detracts from it being "special"

The pool area is somewhat sad and uninviting.

The lobby is very nice and the staff are very pleasant.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
GExperienceMgr, Guest Experience Manager at Santa Ynez Valley Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Hi MoreFFmiles,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. It is good to hear that you found our guest rooms amenities to your liking and our staff’s hospitality and lobby very pleasant. We are sorry though, to hear that you found our pool and fire pit area not as inviting as possible. Please keep in mind that we would love the opportunity to welcome you back again should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stayed there one night this week. Completely decorated for the holidays, and will get you in the Christmas spirit if you're into that kind of thing. I thought it looked very festive. Nice room, big and comfortable with all the necessary amenities. The bed was very comfortable and we got an great nice sleep. Breakfast was included in our "deal" and it was a very nice buffet with an omelet bar with fresh ingredients. If you're staying in the area you can't go wrong with staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
GExperienceMgr, Guest Experience Manager at Santa Ynez Valley Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Hi regalaone,

We are delighted you chose to stay with us! Thank you for submitting your feedback and sharing your experience with us and future travelers. Nothing make us happier than hearing how much a guest enjoys their stay! It sounds like our holiday spirit, comfortable room amenities, and fresh breakfast offerings made your travels truly enjoyable. We definitely look forward to the opportunity to host you again, should you visit our area in the future.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I'm a big Marriott fan--been brand loyal for a couple of decades. I've seen all the Marriotts from around the world and always had good stays. I do agree with some of the previous posters that this Marriott could be spruced up and apparently, it is going to be. I must say that they have a wonderful fire pit out back surrounded with sofa's and I loved sitting out there with a glass of wine, gazing at the stars. So thanks Marriott for that. However, how I was treated at Thanksgiving was a little odd so I'll comment on it. When I checked in, the day before Thanksgiving, I asked what time their Tgiving day buffet was being offered and did I need a reservation? I was told it was all sold out and not available to me. I explained that I was a guest, and it was just going to be me and my 5 year old son, so I asked if I could be accommodated as we didn't have any other plans. I was told no, I could not be accommodated because they had over 600 people reserved. I explained to the front desk clerk that 600 people, in a 4 hour time frame, for a buffet, isn't really that huge of a deal that one more adult and a 5 year old couldn't be served. I was told no way. So I went down to the restaurant, and saw a big sign telling me to join them at the Tgiving day buffet. I asked about it, and I was told "no more people--we have 600 people coming and we can't take you". (then take down your sign)...By this time, I'm stunned that a giant hotel with a worldwide reputation for meetings, parties, events, etc seem so overwhelmed at 600 people coming to a buffet that they refused me. The next day, Thanksgiving, after breakfast, I asked to speak to a manager and told her that I was a long time Marriott Silver member and I was being refused a brunch. The manager told me I could come at 11:00. I explained since I just finished breakfast, I could not have brunch in a half hour. Anyway, she finally relented and let me come at 2:00. I appreciated that but was kind of put off when she said "But we won't do this for you next year--this is it". Well, no worries because not only will you not see me next year, you'll never see me again." And here is the kicker: I get there at two with my 5 year old son and I get seated in a smaller room with many open tables! So I do a quick peek in the ballroom where there were the majority of tables and there are many open tables there as well. It's not over crowded at all. All this drama being tossed at me and it was perfectly fine and my 5 year old son and I were blips on their buffet. It was very odd customer service. The buffet was very nice though and had many delicious items including a really nice dessert table. The one thing I was surprised to see is the chef that was managing the pasta station had a tip jar out. Kind of tacky and I felt it a little below Marriott's command of customer service. I felt like I was in a Dunkin Donuts. But at least I was accommodated but a guest should never have to beg to eat at a holiday.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HappiTravelerChicago
GExperienceMgr, Guest Experience Manager at Santa Ynez Valley Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Hi HappiTravelerChicago,

We value your feedback and appreciate the time you took to share your travel experience with us and future travelers. We would like to extend our sincerest apology for the situation you encountered regarding the holiday buffet. Please know that this is not the type of hospitality we wish to extend to our guests and we are very sorry you experienced this with us. Your feedback will be shared with management and all of our associates to ensure that these matters are addressed appropriately. We hope you will reconsider a future visit so that we can provide you with the type of stay you deserve.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Clean and comfortable to Marriott standards, but completely lacking in any kind of charm. The room was almost depressing it was so drab. The bathroom was a decent size and the bed was comfortable, and that's about all you can say about it. Granted, you don't go to the Marriott off the 101 at Buellton for a resort experience, but you'd think with the tourists in the wine country (the reason for our trip), they would try to spruce it up a little.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
GExperienceMgr, Guest Experience Manager at Santa Ynez Valley Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Hi redheada1,

We appreciate your choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to provide feedback. We are sorry to hear that some aspects of your stay were less than ideal. Be assured that we continually strive to provide our guests with the best travel experience possible and so we are excited to share that we have plans for renovation to begin in the second half of 2014. Should your travels bring you again to our area, we do hope to get a chance to welcome you back so that we may share our updates with you.

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights for a weekend of wine tasting with my daughters. Let me just say at the outset that this hotel is very dated, decor almost what you'd expect to see at a place during a 60's road trip. Furniture very old and dated, as was pretty much everything else. But the staff here are excellent - friendly and helpful and accommodating. There is no concierge lounge here- so they do give you breakfast vouchers. The breakfast is buffet but does have a great omelet bar. It was always very busy but the staff were attentive. The parking is free, there is a bar on property and a coffee bar off of the lobby. The rooms are large with furniture that was mismatched. There is a fitness room with some limited weights as well as cardio machines. This is right off of the highway and a great location for tasting and exploring. And it was pretty much packed the whole weekend. Over all can't say I thought the place was great , but the employees sure were.

Stayed: October 2013
GExperienceMgr, Guest Experience Manager at Santa Ynez Valley Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Hi lawdogs1,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your travel experience with us and future travelers. It is great to know that our staff’s dedicated hospitality, our location and our breakfast buffet made your stay an enjoyable one. We apologize however, for the aspects of your experience that you found satisfactory. Currently, we have plans for renovation to begin in the second half of 2014. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back then, and to provide you with truly fabulous guest experience.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

This Marriott appears to have been built sometime in the 1980's and doesn't seem to have been updated since. We were upgraded to a suite, which could have been used in a period movie the decor was so dated. The heart-shaped jacuzzi tub was more tacky than inviting. Bed slept fine and pillows were standard Marriott. However, I can't say I would choose to stay here again, at least not until the property underwent a full renovation.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi helsimon,

We value your feedback and appreciate the time you took to share the details of your stay. We are disappointed to hear that our amenities did not meet your expectations. Currently our property is planning a renovation for the latter part of 2014 in order to provide the best possible travel experience for our guests. Please consider a return stay with us in the future so that we have the opportunity to provide you with a wonderful stay.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

As a gold member we were upgraded to a suite. Walked down a long hallway to the last room. On the door it said Bridal Suite. I opened the door for my "bride" of 44 years. Inside was a nice suite and a heart shaped jacuzzi. We enjoyed the large room, but didn't try the jacuzzi. The round table in the room had three chairs. I guess the third chair is for the mother in law.
Hotel is very nice. More open areas than most Marriotts. Lots of Halloween decorations. Lots of meeting rooms. Staff was nice. Small restaurant was good, but we only had breakfast.
We have found other nice hotels in Solvang, but we'll come back to the Marriott the next time.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobReno
GExperienceMgr, Guest Experience Manager at Santa Ynez Valley Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Hi RobReno,

It is wonderful to hear that you were pleased with your special suite for you and your “bride”! Nothing makes us happier than knowing we were able to provide a delightful and memorable guest experience. Thank you for taking the time to submit your review and feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back for many future stays!

Guest Experience Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buellton
Hampton Inn & Suites Buellton/Santa Ynez Valley
Quality Inn Santa Ynez Valley
Sideways Inn
Sideways Inn
#5 of 8 in Buellton

Been to Santa Ynez Valley Marriott? Share your experiences!