We stayed here for one weekend night only, a stayover on the way up the coast. We wanted someplace close to Solvang because we had theatre tickets at the Solvang Festival Theatre that night. (I will try to review that separately, but suffice to say that it is a fun atmosphere, an outdoor amphitheater in the heart of Solvang.) Based on tripadvisor and other research, it seemed as if the Marriott would be one of the nicer properties in the area, and we were able to use Marriott Reward points for a free room.
We did not get off to a good start. When we walked into the lobby to check in, we saw that there was one check in clerk speaking with a man. No one else was waiting, so we just stood a few feet away and waited. Although the clerk saw us she did not acknowledge us and continued with an animated conversation with the man. After a few minutes, it became clear to me that the conversation was entirely personal in nature, not about hotel business. Since no one was offering to help us, I thought it necessary to clear my throat to make absolutely sure that the clerk understood that we were waiting to be helped. She continued to ignore us! I finally had to speak out, "Can we please check in?" At that point, the clerk finally motioned us to approach and checked us in. But she never apologized for her unacceptably rude behavior. This kind of poor customer service by the second person one meets at any establishment (the valet was friendly and helpful) really colors one's views about a hotel.
The room we received seemed standard. it was a decent size and looked clean. But the furnishings looked a bit tired. The photos on the Marriott website make the hotel look nearly resort-like but we did not find it so. The location is also drab. Buellton is just a stop along the highway closest to Solvang. Convenient enough (less than 10 minutes away from Solvang on a nice drive) but nothing to look at otherwise.
The pool area was more functional than resort-like, but it did have lots of chairs/lounges, umbrellas, etc. I don't think most folks would want to spend much time at the hotel and if one's destination is really Solvang, it is better to stay in that town. If one wants a jumping off point for wineries, again, my guess is that there are more attractive options for a similar price.
There was nothing offensive or bad about the hotel (other than the poor check in experience). It was just...meh. If you can get a very good price or you just need a place to sleep along the highway, then you could do a lot worse.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Currently under extensive renovation. Loud noise disturbance from 8am until 6pm seven days a week until approximately October 1, 2016. Sporatic water shut off's Monday through Friday 9am until 5pm. Ultra comfortable accommodations in the Santa Ynez Valley Wine country. Only 3 miles from the Danish town of Solvang.Over 80 local vineyards, wineries and tasting rooms nearby in the Santa Barbara Country wine country. We also offer beautiful wedding, event, and meeting space in the Santa Ynez Valley close to Vandenberg Air Force Base. Our certified meeting and wedding planner will ensure your event is flawless. Plus earn Marriott Rewards Points and promotions with your event. The Santa Ynez Valley Marriott conveniently has a Lobby Bar, featuring Starbucks Coffee and Teas, and the Starting Gate Restaurant. You will also enjoy our gift shop and Hertz Car Rental. For your recreation, our 24 hour fitness center, outdoor heated pool and jacuzzi, with brand new lounge furniture, will keep you fit and relaxed. Established in 1984. The Santa Ynez Valley Marriott in Buellton, CA upgraded all their beds and linens to the Marriott Revive Collection, featuring ultra comfortable beds and luxurious linens. We also feature complimentary Wireless Internet in our guest common areas and in our guest rooms for those guests registered with Marriott Rewards. From September 2015 until approximately October, 2016, the hotel will be undergoing a total and extensive renovation. The new 555 Restaurant and Lounge will inhabit the new lobby greatroom, along with a newly updated double size fitness center. All guest rooms are being completely renovated from the ground up including stand alone tiled showers in 70% of the rooms, luxury vinyl flooring and a beautiful brand new full furniture package. What a way to celebrate our 30th Marriott Anniversary!! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Odigeo, Priceline, Marriott, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Santa Ynez Valley Marriott reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Santa Ynez Valley Marriott Hotel Buellton
- Marriott Santa Ynez Valley
- Marriott Hotel Buellton
- Marriott Buellton
- Buellton Marriott