“Stop here for a quirky souvenir...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Owner description: OstrichLand
San Diego, California
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 148 helpful votes
“Stop here for a quirky souvenir...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

Who knew when I came to Solvang I would be seeing so many unusual critters??? This was definitely one of the most unusual ones. Since my kids weren't with me, I didn't feel the need to pay the $4 to see (and feed) the ostriches up close...but, I did get one heck of a cool souvenir here. I plunked down $30 for an ostrich egg...a real one. Not to grow a baby ostrich (much to my daughter's disappointment), but to feed a family (and then some)! What a novelty...punch a hole in the top, stick in a skewer and stir, insert straw then blow. Make sure the bowl is big. Scrambled ostrich egg is good...and supposedly more healthy than those boring chicken eggs.

New York, NY
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Definitely worth the stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

This place was just a fun excursion to waste a little time before the wineries opened up in the morning... but we were glad we stopped! We were shocked to see the ostriches and emus up close- they were really interesting. Have at least one person feed them (just $1 more) because that was a very fun experience... they are extremely aggressive!

California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ostrich Land-- FUN”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2009

the little shack it is in does not do the place justice. This place is so much fun for adults and kids. We loved it. Definitely recommended if you make your way near solvang. It is inexpensive and cute experience for the family--feed the emus and ostrichs. The staff were very friendly and informative. We were glad we stopped and will stop next time we are in the area.

Los Angeles
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Update as of July 2009”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2009

Revisited Ostrich Land today and they have remodeled some of the outside areas. There was a small pen with young emus, and it was a very warm day but there was still no shade in the area where you feed the animals. It would have been nice to keep feeding them and getting good photos and video but we were too hot.
There seemed to be more souvenir things to purchase, along with frozen ostrich meats. I believe the meat is imported though.
It still costs $4 + $1 for a dustpan full of pellets.
Do not attempt to feed the big birds with your hands. They could easily break a finger with their bite.
This is still a neat place to stop in, get some photographs, read about the gigantic birds and have a little fun.

Santa Clara
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“It's worth a Visit, but wish they would improve the experience.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

The kids will love it no matter how dilapidated the place is. It is one of the few things that kids can do in this neck of the woods, and I’d say it is worth the price. Where else can you feed ostriches and emus?
On the downside, this place has the potential to be a really great tourist stop rather than just a okay one. I wish the owners put some money into the place add some educational or docents to help answer the many questions kids (and adults) have.

So if you have kids or are curious, you have to visit, but don’t expect anything other than a bowl of food and an up-close encounter with the birds.