“Great sushi restaurant for the town of Buellton”
Review of A-RU

A-RU
Ranked #12 of 38 Restaurants in Buellton
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
California
“Great sushi restaurant for the town of Buellton”
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Our sushi dinner was every bit as good as our local sushi restaurant here in San Diego. The fish was fresh and the house sake was tasty. The service was great. Prices are equivalent to the many sushi restaurants we have visited. We highly recommend A-RU.

Santa Ynez, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply the best in the valley”
Reviewed January 19, 2010

There are only two Sushi places in the Valley that I know of. A-Ru is exceptional. The sushi is not pre-cut as in many japanese restaurants. Very fresh! The teriyaki is amazing. They use rice flour and it is very light which I like. If you want greasy teriyaki don't go here. It is a little pricey but, well worth it.

Buellton, CA
“To put it simply; The Best”
Reviewed June 8, 2009

After reading the review by anonymous I have to wonder if he is a competitor or something, because the only truth I read in his review is that there is a yogurt place next door.

I know the fish is fresh, I am a local and I've been there when the owner has been getting back from the fish market in L.A. (she personally hand picks all of her fish), her sauces are wonderful (she makes all of those herself), and her rolls are the best I've ever had anywhere (eight pieces and not 99% rice 1% previously frozen fish like a lot of places) ... maybe his wife ordered a "vegetarian roll", I believe that is 'fish-less'. The teriyaki chicken is fine, but in my opinion, if your kids want chicken, take them to see the Colonel, don't take them to a sushi bar for gosh sakes. As for price; you get what you pay for; fresh fish costs more than frozen.

No, I don't work there, I eat there, and I recommend it to everyone that I know. By the way, try her cheesecake; it is amazing.

Santa Ynez Valley
“The worst meal ever”
Reviewed April 8, 2009

The atmosphere and service at A-RU was great unfortunately the food was not. Recommended to me by a fellow chef I was excited to have great Japanese cuisine in the area. I got the teriyaki chicken combo dinner for my 2 daughters about a 3 ounce portion of flavorless chicken with burnt tasting sauce, 2 pieces of california roll(yeah 2 pieces not a full roll) salad with a weird carrot dressing, veggie tempura bad batter ummmm....it was $20. Now on to my wife and I we started with miso soup, standard...it was room temperature and had no flavor the salmon skin roll I got was about half the size of a standard sushi roll, my wife got two rolls one tasted like a doughnut and the other all you could taste was the sauce no trace of fresh fish in any dish at all. Very disappointing. I am a chef and take pride in the food I prepare, the freshness of my food and satisfaction of my customers none of these basic and essential needs were meet. The high light of our meal was the great tasting water and the frozen yogurt place next door, which is really good! I recommend the peanut butter and dark chocolate combo!

All over the place
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Favorite restaurant in the area, best sushi!!!!”
Reviewed January 23, 2009

You will be surprised that you can find such a great Japanese restaurant in Buellton. I didn't expect it, and I was very pleasantly surprised, that I would like to share the experience with everyone!

The restaurant is not too fancy or big. But the food is fancy. The taste is fancy. Not only the sushi and sashimi, meat dishes were amazing. You cannot find any better Japanese restaurant in Santa Barbara county, it's worth the trip, even if you have to drive from Santa Barbara to Buellton.

I hope everyone will go try the food at A-Ru and be pleasantly surprised as I was!

Been to A-RU? Share your experiences!