“Great Food & Good Service”

The Hitching Post II
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hitching Post II is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 38 Restaurants in Buellton
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Thumbelina
Reviewed July 12, 2014

For a place that uses "Magic Stuff" on everything, you might hate it but it seems everyone loves to visit this restaurant featured in the film 'Sideways"- I was smitten, too, by the food! Excellent grilled artichoke appetizer, delicious fish entree and sides. Services was prompt and very friendly in spite of being totally sold out.

Food is done on a hickory grill and the flavors are unique and very tasty. if you are in the area, Hitching Post II is a must-see. My group and the others we saw there all left full and very satisfied.

1  Thank YaleDad

Reviewed June 30, 2014

An overpriced tourist trap. The Hitching Post is famous for being the center of the movie Sideways (one of my favorite films). But for dinner? No. First, the place is more of a place for "dinner" than for "dining". And when I pay $36 for an entree with a bill of over $100 for a dinner for two I expect dining. The decor is cheap. The bar is small (exactly like the movie) and rather plain. The service was ok, just ok, but this is supposed to be an upscale restaurant. The place is understaffed. It is a tourist trap, no different from the Carnegie Deli in Manhattan ("When Harry Meets Sally"). If you want a REAL Sideways experience go to the other restaurant in the movie--Los Olivos Merchants and Wine... Now, THAT is a restaurant. That is dining. That is something special. Or walk across the street on Grand in Los Olivos and dine at Petro's. But not this place.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

We dined here while touring the wineries in the area. We had reservations and were seated immediately upon arrival. The restaurant was packed. We each ordered different types of steak.
They were all overpriced and not very good. The women's restroom is absurd. It has 2 "stalls" with shower curtain separating them. It is quite unappealing. Our server was good, but that did not makeup for so-so food. Maybe this restaurant is still reaping the rewards of being in the movie Sideways. My recommendation would be to move sideways away from it and eat in Santa Ynez instead.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Was in the area for a little mini vaca. Went there because heard it was good. Made reservations. We got there and it seemed busy. We had to wait a while even though we had reservations. The wait wouldn't have been bad if I thought the food/service was worth it. Restrooms...the 'stalls' were curtains (no solid walls) and were only 2 of them. Always enjoyable to be using the bathroom and a kid in the next 'stall' trying to pull the curtain aside. Ordered a steak with bake potato. That is exactly what you get, nothing else, not even a garnish. Had to try and get the waitress' attention just to get steak sauce. She never even came back to ask how everything was or if we needed anything. The food was ok - nothing to write home about. I think for the price, could have been better...better food, better service. Probably not too many places to eat so that is why they were busy.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

We had to stay in Buellton because we couldn't find a hotel room in SLO for graduation weekend. Decided to take my parents here. Not really many choices in town and yes corny, they could see something from the Sideways movie. Could only get a reservation at 4:45 and glad we did as it was packed by 6:00 when we left. The food was GREAT! One of the best steaks I've had. Lots of food for the price. The place takes you back in time as they serve a relish tray as a free appetizer. We even got another free appetizer (mushrooms which were to die for) since I was the designated driver. How cool is that. Since so many reviews talked about the Key Lime Pie I had to force a piece of that in. While it was good, I've had better. The service and our waitress were wonderful. Very attentive and funny. While the building may not be the most modern, this place is worth going to. I didn't think I would like it but I did. We could make a reservation on OpenTable which was nice too.