“Living on its reputation from Sideways.”

The Hitching Post II
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hitching Post II is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 38 Restaurants in Buellton
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Thumbelina
San Francisco, California
“Living on its reputation from Sideways.”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Does The Hitching Post II want to be fancy with expensive food/wine and tablecloths? Or does it want to be folksy, with servers that joke with you and kitschy decor? It must decide before it can succeed in either way. Quail, filet mignon and rib-eye special were the highlights of the meal - rest was just average. Glad to have tried it since I loved the movie "Sideways" but won't go again nor recommend it.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank B K

• Finnish first
San Luis Obispo, California
“Big Disappointment”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

My wife and I ate at the Hitching Post recently and the dinner was lacking in almost every way. The rice pilaf was cold, chicken was undercooked, and garlic bread lacked butter and garlic. Although I would like to give a positive review to the restaurant because I like the understated atmosphere and it used to give me great pleasure to eat there, either the food has declined in quality or my taste buds have been enhanced. Not recommended.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Traveldudeworldwide
Los Angeles, California
“Quality and charm”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

This restaurant had terrific food and lots of it. It was a value for the price. Their own label wines were great. I drank the Hi Liner pinot Noir, a generous pour for a good price. We were in a large group and the service was attentive. Everyone enjoyed their experience.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Roger S
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Have to visit if a fan of the Sideways movie.”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Ok, so regardless of what you read on my review or anyone's reviews, you have to visit this restauarant if your a fan of the movie "Sideways". It was neat to be there and it looks just like it did in the movie. However, if it wasn't for the movie, I would not recommend it. The food was average and be aware, you better have reservations or your not getting seated. Fortunately, I had reservations, just arrived early and figured I sit at the bar...right...there is a seperate list to sit at the bar. The place was packed and there was no where to even stand. Everyone was fighting over spots to sit and stand. It was chaotic! Worst of all...they took the Ostrich steak which is lean and locally grown off the menu....really?

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Jimking2
Brooklyn, New York
“It's just like you imagine it will be.”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I feel like most times I visit a place featured in a movie I feel like it's totally different, but somehow the Hitching Post is exactly as you would imagine it from Sideways. I wish we had stayed for dinner, but we just stopped for a wine tasting. Sit at the bar and have the tasting. Just a great way to spend the evening.

Visited March 2014