“MH is a warm, welcoming, deliciously homey atmosphere in which to enjoy savory, honest, well priced meals.”

Mother Hubbard's Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 38 Restaurants in Buellton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Family owned and operated since 1978, Mother Hubbard's, has been serving our customers and the community ever since. Located on Avenue of the Flags, in the center of town we’ve seen the ever changing landscape of the area; but throughout the years our commitment to serving the best home made foods has never changed. From farm fresh produce and eggs to hand cut chops and steaks we’re committed to bringing our customers the highest quality meals in the area. A supporter of local charities and organizations we’re as committed to our community as we are our family of customers and as part of this approach we utilize local products whenever possible.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Everything about this place says Home. The staff works well together and is efficient. They make every effort to welcome and serve well. The food is honest, well prepared, jand satisfying.

• Visited May 2014
Jon_McD, Owner at Mother Hubbard's Restaurant, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Hi, Jon from Mother Hubbard's and I just wanted to thank you for dining with us, Being family owned we strive to meet the expectations of our guests, and I'm glad we met yours. When you're back our way, I hope to see you again, and please ask if I'm there. I always enjoy meeting our new guests

Irvine, California
“Closed early - good food”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Staying nearby and looking for a place to eat. Decided to try this restaurant since it was close to the hotel. It wasn't very late, 8pm, but I think they were actually closing. There was nobody in the restaurant. We decided to just order and take our food to go and eat in the hotel room. I was a little surprised at the prices when we paid but when we got back to the room, the food was very good. Maybe we will go in and actually eat in the restaurant the next time we are in that area. Would have preferred to eat here than the Hitching Post the night before!

• Visited April 2014
Jon_McD, Owner at Mother Hubbard's Restaurant, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Hi, Jon from Mother Hubbard's, and I wanted to thank you for dining with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your food, and want to apologize if you felt like you had to take it to go. I'm not sure what night you were in, but on several nights we close at 8, (you might of noticed there's not many people around after that time) but if someone comes in close tot hat time, we're more then happy to have them sit down and enjoy their meal.

Hope to see you sometime in the future, and that you enjoyed your stay in the Valley

La Habra Heights, CA
“Great service, good food”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

In the small town of Buellton few places stand out, since the pea soup restaurants spread out for blocks. Dinner and breakfast at Mother Hubbard's was a nice, relaxing and homey experience, with a friendly waiter that served us fast and chatted giving us information as we asked for. When we returned for breakfast 2 days later he remembered us and came right over. Dinner was good, although the chicken breast for my sandwich was on the dry side. My husband's porkchops were perfectly cooked and the bite I tasted confirmed it. It's unfortunate that like every other older place we visited in Buellton this one was on drab side, with chairs badly in need of a good scrubbing and maybe even refinishing, decor a haphazard combination of whatever, dusty vents and popcorn ceiling. The excessive number of little stuffed toys on every shelf was excessive, and they obviously were not selling so should be removed. Breakfast waffle was good, nice and hot, juicy and sweet fresh strawberries and two kinds of butter that I did not taste since I don't eat butter. I recommend it, and it only got a 3 bc it did not pass my visual cleanliness inspection.

Visited May 2014
Jon_McD, Owner at Mother Hubbard's Restaurant, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Wanted to thank you for visiting us, and for taking the time to write your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your food, but I shall be covering proper cooking on our chicken with my evening cooks, and that includes myself as I cook dinner a couple of nights a week. I also wanted to let you know that twice a year we pull all of our chairs and clean them. We do it in June and November, and it takes about two weeks to do, so unfortunately you were here just before we stated our biannual project. I'll also pass along your kind words to your food server, as we feel it's just as important for them to hear the positive as it is any areas of concern

Again, I want to thank you for visiting us and hope to meet you in the future,

Ojai, California
“Great food for breakfast”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Nice meal, fresh, well cooked. Wait staff was a little too into their private last night drama, so didn't hustle much. Hint to staff: at least bring water to keep the customer occupied. No private talk with coworkers when people are waiting to order.!

• Visited May 2014
Jon_McD, Owner at Mother Hubbard's Restaurant, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
I wanted to thank you for for visiting us, and I'm glad that you enjoyed your meal. I know there's a lot of choices in the Valley, so we're glad you gave us a try. Since we're a small family business we take the contents of these reviews quite seriously, so I'd ask that if you have a moment, would you e mail me at motherhubbardsrestaurant@verizon.net and let me know when you were in so we can follow up with the staff who was working when you were in.

Again, thanks for your business

Irvine, California
“Greta Food, Great Service”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We stopped in for lunch on our way to Morro Bay and we were VERY pleasantly surprised by the gourmet food and fabulous service! I had a wrap that I wish I could reproduce at home. We enjoyed it so much we stopped in for dinner on the way home. We both had chicken sandwiches that were moist and flavorful. Items on the menu are locally sourced (fresh, sustainable) and organic (good for you and the Earth). If we lived in town we would be regulars for sure! Award of Excellence well deserved. Keep up the great work. Hungry just writing this.

• Visited May 2014
Jon_McD, Owner at Mother Hubbard's Restaurant, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Good morning, Jon from Mother Hubbard's and I wanted tot hank you for giving us try and for taking the time to write your review. We've spent a lot of time working with local producers as we feel that the closer we get to the source of our food the better it is so it's nice when that's appreciated. More importantly, we're always happy when our guests enjoy dining with us. As a family operated business we take the satisfaction of our guests very seriously as it reflects on us personally, not some corporate or absentee owner's stature.

Again, thanks for giving us a try and if you're back our way please ask if I'm there so I can have the opportunity to meet you