“Not the privilege they think it is”

Mother Hubbard's Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 38 Restaurants in Buellton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Family owned and operated since 1978, Mother Hubbard's, has been serving our customers and the community ever since. Located on Avenue of the Flags, in the center of town we’ve seen the ever changing landscape of the area; but throughout the years our commitment to serving the best home made foods has never changed. From farm fresh produce and eggs to hand cut chops and steaks we’re committed to bringing our customers the highest quality meals in the area. A supporter of local charities and organizations we’re as committed to our community as we are our family of customers and as part of this approach we utilize local products whenever possible.
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Mom and pop "ain't we just the cutest soup nazis" type place where they let you know right up front they are owners and not just lowly servers (I treat every server with respect and don't appreciate the implication), but even if they didn't tell you, you'd know it was mom/pop from the service: brusque, gruff, loud, unprofessional, humorless (hey, if you're going to slap your coffee pot down on our non-coffee-drinking table while you wait on another table, at least make a joke when you finally retrieve it, like: "Hey, folks, thanks for watching my coffee pot, free water refills for you guys!") ... thinking mom/pop would not tolerate such behavior from a regular employee.

Waited so long for attention after finally being seated (think the line for seating is the same for takeout; someone waiting for one thing shouldn't be held hostage by the other) that we had to order drinks/food at same time.

Drinks early on would have gone a long way toward mitigating the long waits ... they're lucky we're not coffee drinkers; those folks will riot. But maybe they don't delay serving you if you turn the coffee cup over. Unfair, hot tea drinkers are people too! (By the way, is it common practice for restaurants to put the cup upside-down on the bare table? Is that sanitary? Thought in other places I always saw a paper coaster underneath.)

Place was busy but not sure why (but I guess locals everywhere have to keep all handy dining options open, plus you always get the poor unsuspecting tourists). And though it was busy, it was not crazy busy: near half the people were coffee and/or texting lingerers ... wasn't like servers were turning tables around constantly.

The food: Eggs that were ordered medium-well came fairly close to raw. Each strip of bacon was oddly half-overcooked leather, half-chewy-fat raw. Very good omelet with some simple customization, (give the devil his due), but disgraceful hash browns—where they should have been brown and crunchy on the outside they were some color akin to gray and some texture I never saw in my life. Their "white bread" toast we ordered came as sour dough. Not fans.

Finally, if you like old, bitter, cloudy iced tea, they have it. I love iced tea so much I can drink even really bad tea (I only draw the line at sour) but you may not share my tolerance for such.

We were asked was everything OK but we quietly said sure because a) the question, asked late, seemed rhetorical ... and really, it's impossible that no one noticed the visibly raw eggs, b) we were tired of being there even before food came, no time for do-overs, and c) server was so very loud, we were afraid of becoming a megaphoned sideshow if we raised any issues.

Also, spare and complicated restroom situation. Tricky, don't send Granny on a cane or a smaller child back there alone.

1  Thank papertravel
There are newer reviews for Mother Hubbard's Restaurant

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We were staying in Solvang for Danish Days and wanted to try a restaurant in Buellton, other than Andersons. I read the reviews on this sight and decided on Mother Hubbard's, based on its #2 ranking. Sorry to say, if this is #2 in Buellton out of 36 establishments, I hate to think what #36 is like. Not to say it was bad, just very average. Maybe adequate is a better word. I ordered the pulled pork sandwich which came in a hamburger bun, not bad but certainly nothing special. The wife ordered a hamburger, the meat of which she described as tasteless. I tried it and it did taste like ground round, which definitely is more healthy than your typical 85/15 hamburger meat but just not as tasty. The waiter(who I think was also the owner) confirmed that it was ground round steak. Now, some people may prefer ground round hamburgers but we don't. Ground round is so lean there is no grease, and therein lies the taste difference. Just wanted to mention that so you are forewarned. To each his own. Otherwise, service was courteous, altho it did take 20 minutes from the time we ordered to when we were served, and there were only people at 2 or 3 other tables.

2  Thank Buycker
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Kind of a small place and a little hard to find. The visit was worth the effort. Friendly staff, fast with the first cup of coffee and good selection. The chicken fried steak and eggs was a great choice as was the omelet.

1  Thank billkathy88
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Felt immediately at home and attended to. Our server, Phil, was pleasant and fast with accurate service. Food came exactly as ordered. Delicious good old fried chicken!

1  Thank EveSingd
Jon_McD, Owner at Mother Hubbard's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Wanted to thank you for giving us a try, and leaving your review. We take our guests feedback very seriously, and I'll be sharing your comments with Phil when I see him tonight. If you want to stay current on what's happening at Mother Hubbard's, just click the link below to take you to our Facebook page. We hope to see you again, and when you're in next please ask if I'm there, I enjoy meeting our friends from tripAdvisor

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This unassuming little cafe is anything but your typical storefront restaurant! The menu is unique, even though it looks pretty standard. I wanted to try several dishes, but decided on the smoked turkey wrap with aioli sauce. Omigosh! So good! My husband ordered a new item on the menu, the pulled pork with bourbon BBQ sauce....crazy stupid good!

The atmosphere is pleasant and the staff are extremely accomodating! I would eat here again...now!

2  Thank ParisPhotography