“Skip the Walker River Lodge in Bridgeport”
Review of Walker River Lodge

Walker River Lodge
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bridgeport
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Smallest room I've ever stayed in--about 12x12. They tried to squeeze a king size bed in there and a reg double would have more than filled it. Absolutely too small to walk around the room w/o moving chairs or closing closet door or moving other things out of way.

Wall-mounted A/C just inside door was only 8 feet from our heads so running it while we tried to sleep was idiotic. Noise was comparable to having a room next to highway. We tried to cool room down and then turn A/C off when we went to bed.

Room was not clean. Maids couldn't get to the walls due to cramped quarters so they left a 1-2 inch dust track all around floors where they met the bottom of walls. Sink was located in the room because the bath was too small. And the sink was about what you would find in a jail--corner mounted and no area to place toiletries, shaver, etc.

Curtains did not provide adequate closure so outside lights shined in on each side of window.

Receptionist (owner??) seemed to make a big deal of paying in advance. Most places take your credit card at check in and make no big deal of it. Continental breakfast wasn't available until 8 AM when most people are up and out, so this was a throw-away part of our room cost. Rate was way too high in comparison for this town and especially this motel. We stayed at a B&B only 1 1/2 hrs on other side of Yosemite that charged the same amount and was three times the value. Why did we stay there you ask? We were trying to find a place that avoided all the junk we had experienced in Lee Vining in past trips. Bridgeport seemed a nicer place and we decided to try it. Bad decision.

One final comment: Lodge makes a big point of it's river view rooms and charges $10-20 more for those rooms. W. River is an overgrown "crick" by my southern experiences; you can almost jump across it if it wasn't for the weeds and bushes that prevent you from accessing most of it. The lodge BBQ was also out in the sun with no protection. Not a very pleasant situation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JLGIII
Erinn99, Owner at Walker River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Fact - Our absolute smallest room is 16 x 19 - over twice the size stated and we have pelnty of rooms and suites that are much bigger.

Fact - In our smallest room the air conditioner is 15 feet away from where you lay your head on the pillow. Again, twice as far as stated. And again, we have plenty of rooms and suites that are bigger.

Fact - The sink is a standard size with 6 inches on the sides and a shelf over the sink for more toiletries.

Fact - We charge credit cards upon check-in - there are no additional charges the guest can incur - direct dial phones, we do not have mini-bars, etc.

Fact - California and much of the Nation is experiencing a drought - the river is low and the lawn area is cleared to the river.

Opinion - I believe our housekeepers do an outstanding job - the work very hard and our rooms are very clean.

There are newer reviews for Walker River Lodge

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed here for a night en route to Lake Tahoe. The review about bedbugs had me a bit nervous, but we had no problems. We paid extra for the river side room and were very glad we did. Small private patio to sit and watch the sunset. Room was away from highway so very quiet. I was most impressed by the facilities for families. Nice pool area and several bbq spots. Big lawn area behind the river rooms and platforms with sitting areas and bbq. When we were there a large family were bbq'ing and eating outside together.
Room was comfortable and nice rustic decor.
Don't go there if you want 4 star, but then you wouldn't be in Bridgeport if that was what you were looking for. Nice place and we would definitely return.

Room Tip: River rooms are worth the extra cost. Nice sliding door to little patio and large lawn area with ri...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank grandory
Erinn99, Owner at Walker River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Thank you for your kind review. Andjust an FYI, we have never had bedbugs and that is a fact - not an opinion.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is the first hotel you see from 395 and as weary travelers with children,that is the only reason we stayed here. The night was punctuated with the roar of a loud fan that turned on and off every five minutes and ended with three of us covered in bites from bedbugs. I waited until the lobby was empty before letting the manager know about the bugs, so as not to embarrass her. When I let her know about the problem, rather than apologize as a gesture of common decency, she blurted out. "We don't have bedbugs" and called her maintenance man to verify my claim. I was just letting her know that she has a problem, I was not asking for any compensation for the sleepless night for which cost me $150 and massive irritation. She was RUDE and RIGID and her hotel is full of BUGS!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Sarah R
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

We do not have bedbugs. My manager sent our head maintenance man out immediately to check on the room once the guest made the statement. He checked the entirety of the room and found NO evidence of bedbugs.

I would like this post taken down - this is our reputation on the line and this post is false.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Walker River Lodge is on the right, just as you enter town. It is one-story, with outside walkway entrances to the rooms. The grounds are attractive, very clean and well-maintained. The pool looked very nice and was popular. My room was large, with all the extras, small frig, m/w, coffee maker, iron and board. The large flat screen TV worked well and had many channels. Internet was free and OK for emails. The bath was also very clean. It appears that there are also rooms with nice porches overlooking the small river in back of the hotel. I enjoyed my stay and had a quiet, comfortable night.

Room Tip: Check with the hotel about rooms with porches overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank texasrepublichistory
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We had just driven over Tioga Pass which was open unseasonably on December 30th. It was getting dark and we saw the Walker River Lodge--the first motel in town coming from the south on Hwy 395. We decided to stay there because it looked more "mom and pop" than the other open motel in town. I hate the funk in unkept small motels so was preparing myself for the worst, but the rooms were spotless and had a charming western lodge motif. The continental breakfast was adequate. We had dinner at a local diner style bar/restaurant within walking distance from the motel the night before. We were charged $95 for the room which included tax. I had a great time watching Truffaut's classic movie "The 400 Blows" on the TV.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank Fireweed108
Reviewed October 27, 2011

The team at the Walker River Lodge have worked to provide very nice accomodations. I was fortunate to find the Walker River Lodge had an available room at 10:30 at night.

I had toured Yosemite earlier in the day and was not sure where or when I would need to stop for the night. Coming across the Walker River Lodge was a very pleasant experience. The room was clean, modern and well equiped. The shower was fabulous. I wish I could have extended my stay there.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank stanhall123
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We think $134.00 (plus tax) is too high for a standard, basic room..But heh, we were here to enjoy the area and we actually liked little Bridgeport..We walked all around the town at night, (beautiful sunset) and the next morning...Visiting with the locals was a bonus, especially the nice museum lady.
Back to the room....Our room had too many pieces of worn, outdated furniture. It made it quite cramped.....I have a feeling some rooms were nicer than others, check others out if you can...Ours had the largest, old, tube type TV I have ever seen! Breakfast was.....sad......Not good......Staying here really was OK, for 1 night, but we would check out the other places in town next time..

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgeport
Ruby Inn
#1 of 4 in Bridgeport
Virginia Creek Settlement
Virginia Creek Settlement
#1 of 8 in Bridgeport

Been to Walker River Lodge? Share your experiences!