“Quiet, clean and cute”

Virginia Creek Settlement
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed here in May (2013) after spending a few hours in Bodie. The room and grounds were clean and well kept. I got to enjoy the patio sittiing area right outside our room, all while listening to the comforting sounds of the small stream/brook running in the back of the establishment. Please be aware that this hotel is 7 miles from the main street in Bridgeport, so if you don't want to eat at the restaurant at the hotel you will need to drive. Which brings me to the on-site resaturant...the food is amazing, service was great!

Room Tip: If you want to be able to sit out on the patio and enjoy the sound of the stream stay in Room 1 or 2...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ARod74

Reviewed March 22, 2013

The food is excellent, and so is the atmosphere. The people who work there are very friendly and will give the a blow-by-blow historical tour of the place.
Used to be an old Stage Stop.

My husband and I were there on NUMEROUS occasions.
We highly recommend it!

Good if you like spooks too!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank pywackit
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed in Virginia Creek Settlement only for one night in September. The reason for choosing this place was its location – it was the nearest place to Bodie and we wanted to visit the ghost town early in the morning. The suite we stayed in was nice and cozy, overall feeling strongly reminded us of European bed and breakfast places. In contrast, most decorations around the grounds were unmistakably American. The owners are friendly and informative, food is excellent, and I wouldn’t mind going there again in the future, maybe to try out sleeping in wagons! I regret not buying one of the carved wooden bears from the lobby... :-)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cybona
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed in the room above the restaurant. It was small and had a private balcony. It had a shared bath and a cozy commons room w/ a small flat screen tv and refrigerator. Will the space was small it was very comfortable and clean. We had no neighbors to share the bath with and that might have made the difference. The bed was a little squishy, but the pillows were awesome! You can hear noise from the restaurant down stairs in the morning, but nothing to distracting. The owners were very friendly and welcoming, they even gave us directions to the local hot spring. The restaurant was only open for dinner, but the food was good and reasonably priced. We enjoyed our stay and would happily visit again! This is perfect for the couple who just wants a little, romantic, weekend getaway, not for the couple who wants a ritzy, amenity rich experience.

Room Tip: They do have cabins and lodging not connected to the restaurant, but the value is worth it to stay a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed three nights here - two in a self catering cabin and one in a motel-style room. The site is quite small but well located next to a stream (our cabin was right beside it) and attracts a good variety of wildlife.The cabin and room were nice in a rustic way, although any elaborate cooking in the cabin would be a bit challenging. Outside the cabins there's a BBQ area and space to relax by the stream. It's a shame, with all the wildlife around here, that there's nothing in the rooms or on the site to interpret it - in fact it looks like the owners are only interested in shooting things!

The restaurant in the main building serves a good variety of reasonable quality food including vegetarian and gluten-free options.

This must be the closet place to Bodie ghost town, to stay. The road to Bodie (a fascinating visit) is almost opposite the site and this drive, too, is great for wildlife. We saw our first Black Bear here and lots of birds including Common Poorwills on the road at night.

All-in-all a good relaxing place to stay for visiting a really nice area - not only Bodie, but Mono Lake and the east of Yosemite National Park.

Room Tip: I think some of the cabins are away from the stream, so ask for a steam-side one. there is no such o...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PlymouthPete19
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This place is adorable. Nestled in the mountains, there is a beautiful creek on the property. The owners clearly take a great deal of pride in their establishment and have done everthing they can to make their rooms and property comfortable, cute and clean. The most important thing to know about this place is that the family who owns it, takes pride in their property and strive to make all their guests feel welcome and happy.

I have read reviews that complain about dust, lack of amenities, and expensive food. This is a motel and campground in the middle of the Sierras, there will be dust and nope there are not lots of amenities. If you are looking for a 4 star resort, this is not the place. Other reviews have said that the rooms are small and old, yep they are. This is an older motel so the rooms are a little small. But those small, older rooms are clean, cute and charming. There is very little cell reception but they do give you free wi-fi so you can stay connected. They also have more sattelite channels than I do at home. As for the food prices, most entrees are $16-$20. They come with bread, soup or salad, a generously portioned entree, and a very good quality ice cream for dessert. I don't consider that expensive at all but I guess if you are on a super strict budget it might be. It should also be noted that all the food is fresh and cooked to order. But most importantly the people who own this place make it a great place to stay.

As with all my reviews I rate the beds. In the motel room #1 there is some room for improvement. It should be noted that I am so picky about beds and bedding that it is rare for any hotel to meet my standards of bed perfection. The bed was very tall, I am 5'9" and had difficulty getting in and out of the bed. The bedding and sheets were nice and soft which is always a plus. The bed itself was a good semi-firm mattress. It would have been completely comfortable if the mattress didn't sag in the middle. I think the crossbeam on the bed frame needs to be repaired or replaced. The pillows, ughh...I had a hard time with the pillows. There was no loft, they were flat. All this being said, I stayed in a 4 star resort the night before I stayed here and the bed at the Settlement was more comfortable.

The room itself was super cute, there were two little easy chairs to watch tv in. There was also a patio with an amazing view of the mountains. There is no phone in the room but they do provide a phone for guests to use. It is outside and fairly convenient. The rooms are smallish but they are so cute it doesn't matter. The bathroom was pristine, completely spotless. The towels were very nice, I was actually surprised by how nice they were. Very soft and that is rare in any hotel. I do have to say that the coffee maker over the toilet did give me the impression of being unsanitary.

All in all, I really liked this place and recommend it to others. I think the complaints in some previous reviews are unrealistic. This is not a resort, it is a family place. You visit this place to enjoy the scenery, go fishing, relax and hang out. The Settlement provides the perfect setting for that.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Catori76
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The setting and layout of the Virginia Creek Settlement - beautiful and interesting - were a welcome change from the (relatively) characterless motel complexes we've stayed in before.

We specifically asked for motel room one, which is the John Wayne room. He supposedly stayed here once and the wood-panelled room doesn't seem to have been updated since.

Which we were very glad of because of, again, the relatively characterless motels we're used to.

The air-conditioning didn't work, which was a major discomfort at the time, but that's forgotten in hindsight. The Virginia Creek Settlement is bursting of character and that will be our lasting memory.

But it's not for all so please be warned.

Room Tip: Other rooms may be more up-to-date but the John Wayne motel room one is very old-fashioned. Some wil...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LDN_2009
VirginiaCreek, Owner at Virginia Creek Settlement, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

We're glad they enjoyed their experience. The only thing I wish to note is that none of our units have air conditioning, and we do not claim to have it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgeport
Walker River Lodge
#3 of 5 in Bridgeport
Silver Maple Inn
Silver Maple Inn
#1 of 4 in Bridgeport

Been to Virginia Creek Settlement? Share your experiences!