“Cozy and conveniently located”

Virginia Creek Settlement
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed in Virginia Creek Settlement only for one night in September. The reason for choosing this place was its location – it was the nearest place to Bodie and we wanted to visit the ghost town early in the morning. The suite we stayed in was nice and cozy, overall feeling strongly reminded us of European bed and breakfast places. In contrast, most decorations around the grounds were unmistakably American. The owners are friendly and informative, food is excellent, and I wouldn’t mind going there again in the future, maybe to try out sleeping in wagons! I regret not buying one of the carved wooden bears from the lobby... :-)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cybona
There are newer reviews for Virginia Creek Settlement

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed in the room above the restaurant. It was small and had a private balcony. It had a shared bath and a cozy commons room w/ a small flat screen tv and refrigerator. Will the space was small it was very comfortable and clean. We had no neighbors to share the bath with and that might have made the difference. The bed was a little squishy, but the pillows were awesome! You can hear noise from the restaurant down stairs in the morning, but nothing to distracting. The owners were very friendly and welcoming, they even gave us directions to the local hot spring. The restaurant was only open for dinner, but the food was good and reasonably priced. We enjoyed our stay and would happily visit again! This is perfect for the couple who just wants a little, romantic, weekend getaway, not for the couple who wants a ritzy, amenity rich experience.

Room Tip: They do have cabins and lodging not connected to the restaurant, but the value is worth it to stay a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed three nights here - two in a self catering cabin and one in a motel-style room. The site is quite small but well located next to a stream (our cabin was right beside it) and attracts a good variety of wildlife.The cabin and room were nice in a rustic way, although any elaborate cooking in the cabin would be a bit challenging. Outside the cabins there's a BBQ area and space to relax by the stream. It's a shame, with all the wildlife around here, that there's nothing in the rooms or on the site to interpret it - in fact it looks like the owners are only interested in shooting things!

The restaurant in the main building serves a good variety of reasonable quality food including vegetarian and gluten-free options.

This must be the closet place to Bodie ghost town, to stay. The road to Bodie (a fascinating visit) is almost opposite the site and this drive, too, is great for wildlife. We saw our first Black Bear here and lots of birds including Common Poorwills on the road at night.

All-in-all a good relaxing place to stay for visiting a really nice area - not only Bodie, but Mono Lake and the east of Yosemite National Park.

Room Tip: I think some of the cabins are away from the stream, so ask for a steam-side one. there is no such o...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PlymouthPete19
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This place is adorable. Nestled in the mountains, there is a beautiful creek on the property. The owners clearly take a great deal of pride in their establishment and have done everthing they can to make their rooms and property comfortable, cute and clean. The most important thing to know about this place is that the family who owns it, takes pride in their property and strive to make all their guests feel welcome and happy.

I have read reviews that complain about dust, lack of amenities, and expensive food. This is a motel and campground in the middle of the Sierras, there will be dust and nope there are not lots of amenities. If you are looking for a 4 star resort, this is not the place. Other reviews have said that the rooms are small and old, yep they are. This is an older motel so the rooms are a little small. But those small, older rooms are clean, cute and charming. There is very little cell reception but they do give you free wi-fi so you can stay connected. They also have more sattelite channels than I do at home. As for the food prices, most entrees are $16-$20. They come with bread, soup or salad, a generously portioned entree, and a very good quality ice cream for dessert. I don't consider that expensive at all but I guess if you are on a super strict budget it might be. It should also be noted that all the food is fresh and cooked to order. But most importantly the people who own this place make it a great place to stay.

As with all my reviews I rate the beds. In the motel room #1 there is some room for improvement. It should be noted that I am so picky about beds and bedding that it is rare for any hotel to meet my standards of bed perfection. The bed was very tall, I am 5'9" and had difficulty getting in and out of the bed. The bedding and sheets were nice and soft which is always a plus. The bed itself was a good semi-firm mattress. It would have been completely comfortable if the mattress didn't sag in the middle. I think the crossbeam on the bed frame needs to be repaired or replaced. The pillows, ughh...I had a hard time with the pillows. There was no loft, they were flat. All this being said, I stayed in a 4 star resort the night before I stayed here and the bed at the Settlement was more comfortable.

The room itself was super cute, there were two little easy chairs to watch tv in. There was also a patio with an amazing view of the mountains. There is no phone in the room but they do provide a phone for guests to use. It is outside and fairly convenient. The rooms are smallish but they are so cute it doesn't matter. The bathroom was pristine, completely spotless. The towels were very nice, I was actually surprised by how nice they were. Very soft and that is rare in any hotel. I do have to say that the coffee maker over the toilet did give me the impression of being unsanitary.

All in all, I really liked this place and recommend it to others. I think the complaints in some previous reviews are unrealistic. This is not a resort, it is a family place. You visit this place to enjoy the scenery, go fishing, relax and hang out. The Settlement provides the perfect setting for that.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Catori76
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The setting and layout of the Virginia Creek Settlement - beautiful and interesting - were a welcome change from the (relatively) characterless motel complexes we've stayed in before.

We specifically asked for motel room one, which is the John Wayne room. He supposedly stayed here once and the wood-panelled room doesn't seem to have been updated since.

Which we were very glad of because of, again, the relatively characterless motels we're used to.

The air-conditioning didn't work, which was a major discomfort at the time, but that's forgotten in hindsight. The Virginia Creek Settlement is bursting of character and that will be our lasting memory.

But it's not for all so please be warned.

Room Tip: Other rooms may be more up-to-date but the John Wayne motel room one is very old-fashioned. Some wil...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LDN_2009
VirginiaCreek, Owner at Virginia Creek Settlement, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

We're glad they enjoyed their experience. The only thing I wish to note is that none of our units have air conditioning, and we do not claim to have it.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Just got back from this trip yesterday and had to write about it. My boyfriend had been wanting to expose me to the joys of camping and researched long and hard for a place close to both Bodie and Mono Lake. He came across this place and got us lot 3 for five us. 2 couples and a child for a total of 3 tents. The space was very spacious with 3 picnic benches, a fire pit, a prep area, and a hose which came in really handy to wash dishes and brush our teeth. They also provided a generous amount of stacked resin chairs and a small resin table. We had plenty of room for our own chairs and to walk around comfortably.

The bathroom was a very short walk as was the shower, and the water in the shower was always perfect. It costs $2 in quarters for a 7 minute shower which was plenty of time. We arrived on a Friday and left on a Tuesday and found it the perfect place to keep as a home base to all of our adventures. It's very close to the town of Bridgeport if you need to buy groceries (I recommend bringing them in as they are overpriced in Bridgeport) but you can buy ice on the premises as well as firewood for less than in town. It's very quiet at night even though it's by the road. I never really heard the traffic because the sound of the creek washed it out and I slept very well. The 8 year old boy in our group loved fishing in the creek and we all had a very good experience there.

We ate in the restaurant only once and it was excellent pizza. Really huge. A large pizza fed my boyfriend and I for 3 days. We should have ordered the small! Very good crust, and one of the best pizza sauces I have ever had. i could really taste the oregano. They didn't skimp on toppings, either. It was LOADED! We washed it down with a very fairly priced Sierra Nevada pale ale and then headed home. We will definitely be back the next time we want to swim among the brine shrimp and the tufa (a MUST) in Mono Lake.

Room Tip: If you're camping in a tent, choose #3.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We were looking forward to visiting Bodie State Park, and therefor decided to stay close to the state park for one night. After checking out the overpriced hotels in Lee Vining I was happy to stumble onto Virginia Creek Settlement. We stayed in room 1 (John Wayne room) and only experienced one drawback: no airconditioning - we knew this when booking the room but didn't expect it to be that hot outside... Even the girl that tried to help us get the tv and antenna going was surprised how hot it was in the room. At night it cools off so getting a good night sleep wasn't a problem. The room has an okay size, nice bathroom with full bath, tv, fridge, very nice bed and heater + fan. Everything was clean.
The restaurant isn't bad either. We had a nice dinner in the evening. I read on tripadvisor that the restaurant is expensive - I disagree. They do discourage sharing plates (by asking for a supplement) and with every entrée also comes an appetizer and dessert. The price for this is in the region of 15-20 dollars which might be expensive at first look but you do get three courses + garlic bread. Also breakfast was okay. We had half a stack chocolate chip pancakes and french toast. Pancake was delicious, French toast wasn't anything special.
People are friendly and it is close to Bodie. Great find!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nora L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgeport
Walker River Lodge
#3 of 5 in Bridgeport
Silver Maple Inn
Silver Maple Inn
#1 of 4 in Bridgeport

Been to Virginia Creek Settlement? Share your experiences!