Bridgeport Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Bridgeport B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed in the Bridgeport on our way from Las Vegas to San Francisco. The price was very reasonable and the rooms perfectly clean. A nice bustling environment of travellers staying, we didn't eat in the inn but instead went across the road to the Rhino bar and grill. This wasn't anything against the inn's restaurant it was just a personal choice. Would stay here again on a similar journey.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Richard C
Robert P, Owner at Bridgeport Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Thanks for the review. We look forward to your next visit. Bob Peters, Owner

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed at the motor inn portion of the inn, not the cute old building, because we were traveling with a dog.

The motor inn is very cute and retro looking. The rooms are small, very old furnishings but comfortable. There is a nice big TV and free wi-fi in the room. The inn is in an L shape and has a cute wooden walkway with some chairs outside of the units. It is nice to sit out at night, lots of people go by and you can get drinks and food at their bar/restaurant and take them back to your room.

The actual inn was an old stagecoach stop. They have a very cute little lobby, dining room and bar. The office is full of antiques and looks like a living room. Super cute.

The staff is super friendly and aim to please. We purchased dinner and took it back to the room, it was super.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Robert P, Owner at Bridgeport Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Thanks for the review. We really enjoy hearing from happy guests, and believe there is something special about the comfort of our historic hotel building. Bob Peters, Owner

Reviewed August 27, 2013

For a historical hotel in the middle of nowhere, this place was great. The staff helpful and friendly. The prime rib in the restaurant was great and too big to finish (but I did!). Having a veranda where guests can sit and have a cocktail and watch the street was a big plus.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert P, Owner at Bridgeport Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thanks for the review. We always enjoy hearing from a guest who had the opportunity to experience almost all of what we offer. We are proud of our historical significance to the eastern Sierra region of California. Hope you were able to visit our nearby lakes and trails, as well as Bodie Ghost Town State Park, and of course Yosemite National Park. Bob Peters, Owner

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I read about the young lady that committed suicide here back in the 1880's. I stayed here in late May. The night I checked in and went upstairs, I really felt the energy surrounding room 16. I only felt it when I went upstairs, and never felt it down stairs. I even felt this energy on and off in my room. I stayed in room 4 and it seems that this spirit might of been checking on me because I got the chills on and off in my room, but never felt like it meant any harm. It actually was pretty neat. I would also read the story about the young lady named Sara, and always when I got to the end is when I would get the chills. Then on the day during checkout is when the strangest thing happened. I was doing research about Sara and looking up names surrounding her family tree on my computer. All of the sudden, the shades ruffled, The window had been closed, and there was no wind and it never moved once during the night. This scared me a bit when it happened, and it seemed the spirit of Sara might have recognized a name on my computer and was trying to tell me something? I don't know, but I heard of others having strange experiences here. Other than that, I would stay here again, and the food was great.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Craig R
Robert P, Owner at Bridgeport Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Thanks for the review. Many other guests have sensed our residence ghost, but many have not. The story has been passed down through various owners since the 1800.s. There are other ghost stories in our town, and of course at nearby Bodie Ghost Town State Park. We have lot's of good things going on at the Inn and in our town of Bridgeport and the surrounding mountains, lakes, streams, and trails. Bob Peters, Owner

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The room was spacious, out dated, but accommodating. There were two employees constantly disagreeing when we stopped in the office for help several times. None of the staff would say, "good morning or how can I help you" when we came in to get coffee, ask for ice, get a drink from the bar or check out. The garbage cans outside of the rooms were full and never changed in the 2 1/2 days we stayed there. Someone placed dog poop in the garbage can outside our room. When we opened our door, we smelled poop. It was gross!

The INN needs to have a policy on CUSTOMER SERVICE because this establishments is lacking in all areas.

Suggests to improve services:

1) Greet patrons. Be friendly. Staff should NEVER bicker infront of guests or show attitude towards on another.

2)Have coffee pots in room with supplies. Eight people waited in the lobby for service. Not one staff member asked individuals standing around "if they could help them". At different times a few different staff members walked by patrons as if they were invisible. I finally asked if I could get coffee and I was told "I would have to wait" the six other people were waiting to be seated for breakfast. If your not going to provide coffee in the rooms, then set up a coffee bar where you sign guest in so they can help themselves. This would free up staff time and not inconvenience the. No one really wanted to be there working and it showed in your staffs behavior and lack of a welcoming environment.

3)Change bags in trash cans daily.

4)Provide an ice machine so guests can get ice when needed.

Your trying to push patrons to use your restaurant instead of provide better accommodations to guests. We would have eaten at your establishment that is why we choose it, but the lack of your staffs enthusiasm it completely turned us away from wanting to even stay at your inn. There were better establishments to stay at. We will not stay again at your Inn.

Parking was adequate. Shower pressure was good. Bathroom was spacious. Maid service good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JAHNdavis
Robert P, Owner at Bridgeport Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thanks for the review. There is never an excuse for bad service. We're sorry you had to experience that. We will be adding a coffee service to our check-in area lobby. This is a recent change since we went to a computer based reservation system.

We do the best with the facilities that we have, and update parts every year. Keeping the historic experience is a goal we have always kept. That does not include trash cans not empty every day.

Thanks again, Bob Peters, Owner

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed over a busy weekend. Unknown to us at the time, the nearby ghost town of Bodie was having an event that filled the town. Bridgeport Inn had the only room left.

On the plus side, the staff were adequately friendly and helpful. It was busy and the young ladies were working with many people at once. The bar and restaurant seemed to be doing a good business.

The back of the property is a motor court, but we "lucked out" and got a historic room upstairs. Be prepared for an historic experience ! The room was just big enough to accommodate the bed. Our small amount of luggage took up most of the floor, leaving us to step over one another as we unpacked. There are no lamps or usable tables, just an overhead light. And as we found out, there is not a single electrical outlet in the room! Bring a car charger!

The solution was the parlor downstairs. There was a collection of extension cords and travelers jockeying for charging time. This actually provided the historic experience of conversing with fellow travelers. And that provided the nights entertainment. We found a couple bicycling through the sierras, and a father and daughter taking the back roads on the way to school in Davis. We compared notes and had a fine time. There is a TV and reading material in the parlor, but we did not try them out. (No TV in the historic rooms...)

We were given a discount ticket for the restaurant when we arrived. Dinner was over our budget, but we did use it for breakfast. We had a good and filling meal, served by a very polite and attentive hostess. The bill came to about $12 using the coupon, an excellent value.

Overall, I would consider staying again. Bridgeport is isolated and always expensive, so choices are what they are. Another review said the beds were comfortable and bathrooms pristine. That guy must be using a tent cabin for reference. I will say we slept the night, the showers were hot and the bathrooms clean enough.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert P, Owner at Bridgeport Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thanks for the review. I believe you captured the Bridgeport Inn "historic" room experience very well. Next time please make a reservation ahead of time and stay in the other "historic" rooms with private bathrooms, antique furniture, TV, and electric outlets. They are also upstairs in the hotel building. Bob Peters, Owner. PS, we some very affordable comfort dinners.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stopped in for one night in this place. Bridgeport is a prime location for Eastern Sierra hiking, fishing, Bodie, etc. The motel was clean and safe, and was OK for one night. Plus it's right in town in Bishop, walking distance from food and drink. It's just dated, and expensive for what you get. Compare to Bishop or Lone Pine motels, further down in the Owens valley, where I have experienced better quality and price. Maybe it's the isolation?

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nameleftblank
Robert P, Owner at Bridgeport Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thanks for the review. We agree that our motel is clean and safe. And, we agree it's dated. We do update portions of the motel property each year. We don't update the hotel and restaurant because we keep it as close to it's historic (1877) origins as possible. We do constant research on our pricing and believe we are competitive for our location, not the highest, but not the lowest. Bridgeport is a unique town in an unusual area. Bob Peters, Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgeport
Walker River Lodge
#1 of 8 in Bridgeport
Redwood Motel
Redwood Motel
#3 of 5 in Bridgeport

Been to Bridgeport Inn? Share your experiences!