“Lunch review”

Black Angus Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Angus Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 136 Restaurants in Brentwood
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2014

First visit was excellent. Lunch combo of 1/2 sandwich with side options was more than ample and very good. Bloody Mary cocktails were good and garnished appropriately. Service was great also.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Had a very nice dinner at this location. Our waitress Ashley was knowledgeable and very pleasant. Had a couple of their specialty drinks and they were very good. Dinner was tasty and the rice pilaf was superb.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I took my husband to Black Angus the day after Father's Day for a belated meal. We've been wanting to try it since it opened.
We have been to the Pleasant Hill location several times but not recently. We kind of stopped going there when it seemed to be going downhill.
We were hoping the Brentwood location would be better. As it turned out, it was adequate but not memorable.

We started the meal by sharing the Roasted Artichoke ($9.99), which was delicious. The two dipping sauces served with it were also very good, but we had to ask for extra because they only gave us a small 2oz cup of each that were barely 1/2 full. Even though portion size is not a big deal for me, it is for my husband and it was definitely an issue for him at this location. I have to agree that nothing seemed generous.

I ordered the 8oz Prime Rib w/garlic mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus ($19.99) and my husband ordered the large Rib Eye Steak with a loaded baked potato and a Ceasar salad ($28.99).

We finished our meal by sharing a piece of Mud Pie ($6.95) and we also each had a glass of wine with dinner.

My Prime Rib was tender but had a strange texture...almost mushy and it was bright red all the way through even though I ordered it Medium. The outer part was very pale colored. No roasted outer edge like you get when you oven-roast meat.
Another reviewer said the Prime Rib looked like it had been steamed and I have to agree. It just didn't have the integrity of a well cooked piece of meat, like you would get at a good steak/prime rib restaurant.
My husband's Rib Eye steak definitely had a better flavor and texture but the problem was it was kind of tough. Not as moist and juicy as it should have been for med-rare and definitely on the chewy side. He also had it topped with mushrooms, which were also kind of steamed looking as opposed to being nicely sauteed.
The sides were just OK. His Ceasar salad was a good size but lacked flavor and his baked potato was on the small side and the "loaded" part was very skimpy, about a teaspoonful of sour cream and whipped spread (didn't taste like butter) on top with a few other ingredients sprinkled on top.
My garlic mashed potatoes, a small scoop, were flavorless, dry and had a definite crust on top making them appear old. The 4-5 asparagus on my plate were good but came untrimmed so I had to cut off the white bottoms before I could eat them.
The Mud Pie was very good, but it's hard to mess up a cookie crust with coffee almond fudge ice cream. We did enjoy it and it was the only part of the meal we finished. We brought home about 1/2 of everything else. The food just wasn't appealing enough to finish.

Our server was great. Wish I had gotten his name because he was really on top of everything.
I'm beginning to think from a lot of the reviews I've read and feed back from friends and family that the service at BA surpasses the food.

All in all, we had a nice time. The restaurant itself is very attractive and comfortable. Since this was a special occaision meal, for the almost $120 it cost, I think we would have been better off at the House of Prime Rib in SF or even Vic Stewarts in Brentwood. Pretty sure we would have gotten a better meal for the money.

1  Thank Vickiefromca
Reviewed June 18, 2014

The service and food are great. There are a lot of selections and prices are very competitive.The restaurant is big and the noise level is low. A good place to enjoy good food and good company of friends and family.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Happy hour was the bomb..great appetizers.especially the stuffed potato skins which I haven't seen anywhere in ages..great service .