“room not clean and smelt bad”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Brea - North Orange County
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Brea
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I love the location but the last couple of times I've stayed there the room smelt horribly of old cigarettes and the bathrooms were not clean. The toilet was filthy and I had to call housekeeping to come up and clean it. Unfortunate because I do like this location a lot.

Room Tip: When you ask for a non-smoking room, make sure you check it out before getting settled.
1  Thank TammyRick
Russell H, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Brea - North Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay, please let me assure that the way you found your room is not to our hotel standards. Housekeeping must pass an extremely thorough training period and all rooms should be fully inspected prior to new guests arrival by a housekeeping supervisor. I have spoken to the Director of Housekeeping regarding your review, and she has advised me that she will inspect the room personally, as well as speak directly with the housekeeper responsible for servicing that room. I hope the next time you are in the Brea area you will give us a second chance to provide you with the best service possible.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Catering staff went above and beyond to make the event experience spectacular for our guests. Very convinient location for all our guests to get to. Rooms are spacious and clean. Beds very comfortable.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

An excellent location for any activities or events in inland Orange County or southeastern LA County, with shopping and restaurants just steps away. The room and the hotel common areas are well maintained and very clean, and the king-size bed was quite comfortable. The bathroom was immaculate and the toiletries were very good quality. There is a Manager's Happy Hour in the bar, with complimentary beverages and bar snacks - a welcome end-of-day perk. Free underground parking was convenient, with an elevator large enough for lots of luggage. The breakfast buffet (included with the room) was decent, and the service was top-notch. The fitness center had new elliptical machines and treadmills, a complete array of free weights, and we had the place to ourselves.

Now the downside: Unless you're a Hilton Honors gold level member or better, there is a $10/day charge for in-room wifi. It's free in the hotel lobby, but that's not a great solution if you want to work in your pj's. Many hotels of this class have stopped charging for wifi service, but Embassy Suites seems to lag behind. And the hotel will hit your credit card with a $40 hold for incidental charges; they don't actually bill the card unless you charge something, but it's a nuisance to have your available credit reduced for a couple of days until the hold is released.

Overall, our stay was quite pleasant, but we felt rather nickel-and-dimed in some ways.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back of hotel have a convenient elevator and absolutely no street noise.
1  Thank Judith_S_11122
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Located close to downtown Brea, right next to the Brea mall and civic center and across the street from Target. Stayed here to settle a student in to Cal-State Fullerton. Easy access to campus and shopping for dorm things. Beautiful rooms.
-wi-fi is not free unless Gold+ Hilton Honors members but free in business center
-love the manager's reception nightly with free drinks and snacks
- gym has 2 ellipticals and 3 (?) treadmills, weights, etc. and an outdoor pool
-free parking under the hotel
-rooms are mostly quiet. heard muted people next door but white noise maker took care of it. very little traffic noise
- great staff and clean, comfy rooms.
-there is a spa next door- Embassy Court.
-free shuttle to Disney and around the area if needed
-free breakfast! Very nice. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Nice hotel, but I for one am tired of other people using my money, let me explain upon check in I was asked for a credit card for miscellaneous charges. I explained that I would not have any room charges, so their was not need for them to charge my card an extra $50. Which would not be returned to me for 3-4 days.....!

How many $50 charges are they collecting (using) and drawing interest on in a day or week...!

Otherwise nice location, free parking, and great breakfast....

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dacsiv
Russell H, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Brea - North Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at our Hotel. While I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, I was sorry to hear that you were inconvenienced by the authorization processed on your credit card. I understand your frustration with having to give a credit card at check-in, even though you did not intend to have any additional charges billed to your room. Please note, that this is a common practice throughout the hotel industry to not only provide a convenient means for our guest to charge incidentals to their room, but also as a security measure to recuperate losses for any possible damage sustained to the room during the guest’s stay.

I do apologize that you were not properly informed of the pre-authorization before your arrival at the hotel. At the Embassy Suites, we do our best to make the customers aware of the authorization prior to their arrival at the hotel; by posting verbiage on our website above the credit card entry section when you are initially booking the reservation, on the confirmation email that is sent out after booking, and finally by posting signage at the front desk. This authorization would only show as a pending transaction, not allowing the hotel to gain any interest during that time, and would be released by your bank/credit card company within 72 hours after departure. If there is a $50 charge that has been posted to your account, please contact me directly at the hotel so I can discuss this matter.

Thank you again, for the opportunity to respond to your concerns, and I hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I love this hotel! It is very close to all my business needs when I am visiting Orange County. It has great shopping nearby, and great restaurants. I will stay here every time I need to visit the Brea area.

4  Thank ckckckckckck
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Cannot beat for under 150$
Great location - right next to brea mall, we just walked over during the crazy Christmas shopping period without the hassles of finding mall parking.
Close to downtown brea - plenty of restaurants, movie theaters, improv
Free parking in underground garage
Very clean rooms, I don't think we paid for wifi too.
The best part is the embassy suites breakfast for sure. Very good spread and especially the omelet station
Happy hour was great too - pleasently surprised by the decent bar there
Overall, a wonderful experience

Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank SMulay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brea
Chase Suite Hotel Brea
Embassy Suites by Hilton Irvine - Orange County Airport
Extended Stay America - Orange County - Brea
Homewood Suites by Hilton Irvine John Wayne Airport
Fullerton Marriott at California State University
Days Inn & Suites Fullerton

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Brea - North Orange County? Share your experiences!