“Hit or Miss..Too Bad” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brunos Trattoria

Brunos Trattoria
Reserve with OpenTable
Brunos Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 193 Restaurants in Brea
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Brea/Imperial Hwy.
Southern California
“Hit or Miss..Too Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

This is my 4th visit and this place is a hit or miss. Either the food is off or the service!
My friend ordered the ravioli which came lukewarm and I ordered the short rib pappardelle. My dish was far better tasting but the portion was rather skimpy - both the noodles and the ribs, wait there were ribs??? I get the off the bone concept but it was more like a few shreds of beef. A pity as it was very tasty and the papardelle was very good - al dente!
Desserts were ordered and hands down the Budino al Carmelo with chocolate ganache was delish. I love Tiramisu so I order it at every restaurant I go to that serves it. This one came shaped like a ball which was odd. Had a few bites and just couldn't have any more. It was soggy and odd tasting. The mascarpone was not even detectible.
I had an AHA moment on the drive home. It dawned on me that the Tiramisu was shaped like that probably because they scraped up what was left in the pan to make a serving portion, hence size and sogginess? Yuck!
I think I'll be moving on ....

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Anaheim, California
“movie & dinner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

My first review of Brunos was mixed and I said it deserved another visit. After a movie across the street we entered Brunos at 6 pm. It was about 60% full. We were seated quickly against the east wall at a table for two. When we left around 7:30 they were almost full. Our server said they were busier than normal for a Wednesday night and it showed in slow service out of the kitchen and bar.
This place is really noisy and for that reason alone we will not go back. They do have a few tables outside on the sidewalk and I suspect they would be quieter. My wife had Cozze, mussels, garlic in a white wine sauce. It is listed as an appetizer but it is a good sized portion. For her it was good not great. I had a main course Linguini Frutti di Mare, shrimp, clams, mussels and squid. It was a large serving with plenty of seafood, however it was bland. For me it needed some zip. They serve water in a fancy bottle that they leave on the table. They also serve wine in the same style of glass they use for the water. Our server refilled my wife's white wine glass with water. He replaced her wine quickly after we pointed out the error. Our server was pleasant and helpful. In summary, too noisy, my food was bland and yet they seem to be very busy. Not a return for us tastes.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Anaheim, California
“dinner with friends”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

Brunos Trattoria an Italian restaurant on Brea Blvd across from the movie theaters. It was jammed on a Saturday night and very noisy. There were six in our party with reservations. We were seated close to our reservation time at an table against the wall that was fine for our group. We do not see each other that often so we had lots of conversation to get caught up. However we had a hard time hearing each other because of the crowd. Our server was really busy but very professional and helpful. The seafood appetizer was fair, I had a pasta special and it was very good and a bit spicy. They have a limited number of outside sidewalk seats but we were inside. This place deserves another visit on a less busy night to really sample the food.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Nice restaurant, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Came here on a Saturday night with my wife around 1830. Seated right away and service was very good throughout the dinner. As indicated on other reviews, pass on the lasagna, it was average at best. We also had the flat iron steak and it was pretty good for $23.50. Many of the wines on the wine list were from Italy and all priced the same at $28 a bottle. As people filled in, the restaurant got very noisy, so much so that it was difficult to have a conversation for a party of two. All said $83 for an appetizer, bottle of ok wine and two entrees, I would say pass on this restaurant.

Fullerton, Ca, USA
“Not as enthusiastic about Brunos as our friends”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Twice this last month we have dined here with friends who are very frequent patrons. During the week it was much quieter and we received much better service than on a Saturday evening -- as one would expect. During the week they have a reasonably priced special, which includes an appetizer, an entree, a dessert and one glass of wine (or beer) for $30. The first time I ordered the Braciola di Maiale (not on the specials menu), only after I was assured by the waiter that it could be done medium-rare. In France, Italy, Belgium, etc. and some locations in the US, one can get pork prepared without overcooking, so that it remains very moist and tender. When delivered, my pork was very well-done. However, I am used too this, so I just went on with my meal and smiled at my friends. Fritto Misto was very good - if you like lemon. The second time, both my wife and I ordered the Linguini Frutti di Mare (not on the special). Portions and presentation were fine. But, it really seemed quite bland and to be lacking in something that I couldn't really pinpoint nor describe, Of the hundred or so times that I have had this dish in restaurants all over the world, I would place this particular preparation in the bottom 10 per cent. When our friends asked how we enjoyed our dishes, we both responded "fine", because we did not want to disappoint them. Interestingly, when I was talking with my wife at home afterwards, she said that she felt the Linguini Frutti di Mare really "lacked something", which was EXACTLY how I felt. So, to summarize, our friends have had excellent meals and experiences here and are very pleased with everything. We felt it was quite average.

• Visited November 2013