Brunos Trattoria
Reserve with OpenTable
Brunos Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 203 Restaurants in Brea
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Brea/Imperial Hwy.
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My first review of Brunos was mixed and I said it deserved another visit. After a movie across the street we entered Brunos at 6 pm. It was about 60% full. We were seated quickly against the east wall at a table for two. When we left around 7:30 they were almost full. Our server said they were busier than normal for a Wednesday night and it showed in slow service out of the kitchen and bar.
This place is really noisy and for that reason alone we will not go back. They do have a few tables outside on the sidewalk and I suspect they would be quieter. My wife had Cozze, mussels, garlic in a white wine sauce. It is listed as an appetizer but it is a good sized portion. For her it was good not great. I had a main course Linguini Frutti di Mare, shrimp, clams, mussels and squid. It was a large serving with plenty of seafood, however it was bland. For me it needed some zip. They serve water in a fancy bottle that they leave on the table. They also serve wine in the same style of glass they use for the water. Our server refilled my wife's white wine glass with water. He replaced her wine quickly after we pointed out the error. Our server was pleasant and helpful. In summary, too noisy, my food was bland and yet they seem to be very busy. Not a return for us tastes.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Brunos Trattoria an Italian restaurant on Brea Blvd across from the movie theaters. It was jammed on a Saturday night and very noisy. There were six in our party with reservations. We were seated close to our reservation time at an table against the wall that was fine for our group. We do not see each other that often so we had lots of conversation to get caught up. However we had a hard time hearing each other because of the crowd. Our server was really busy but very professional and helpful. The seafood appetizer was fair, I had a pasta special and it was very good and a bit spicy. They have a limited number of outside sidewalk seats but we were inside. This place deserves another visit on a less busy night to really sample the food.

Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Came here on a Saturday night with my wife around 1830. Seated right away and service was very good throughout the dinner. As indicated on other reviews, pass on the lasagna, it was average at best. We also had the flat iron steak and it was pretty good for $23.50. Many of the wines on the wine list were from Italy and all priced the same at $28 a bottle. As people filled in, the restaurant got very noisy, so much so that it was difficult to have a conversation for a party of two. All said $83 for an appetizer, bottle of ok wine and two entrees, I would say pass on this restaurant.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Twice this last month we have dined here with friends who are very frequent patrons. During the week it was much quieter and we received much better service than on a Saturday evening -- as one would expect. During the week they have a reasonably priced special, which includes an appetizer, an entree, a dessert and one glass of wine (or beer) for $30. The first time I ordered the Braciola di Maiale (not on the specials menu), only after I was assured by the waiter that it could be done medium-rare. In France, Italy, Belgium, etc. and some locations in the US, one can get pork prepared without overcooking, so that it remains very moist and tender. When delivered, my pork was very well-done. However, I am used too this, so I just went on with my meal and smiled at my friends. Fritto Misto was very good - if you like lemon. The second time, both my wife and I ordered the Linguini Frutti di Mare (not on the special). Portions and presentation were fine. But, it really seemed quite bland and to be lacking in something that I couldn't really pinpoint nor describe, Of the hundred or so times that I have had this dish in restaurants all over the world, I would place this particular preparation in the bottom 10 per cent. When our friends asked how we enjoyed our dishes, we both responded "fine", because we did not want to disappoint them. Interestingly, when I was talking with my wife at home afterwards, she said that she felt the Linguini Frutti di Mare really "lacked something", which was EXACTLY how I felt. So, to summarize, our friends have had excellent meals and experiences here and are very pleased with everything. We felt it was quite average.

1  Thank JackR46
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Had a great meal on our first visit. My husband loved his frito misto, as it had a very light batter and included lots of shrimp. He was also very pleased with the flatiron steak which he had with roasted potatoes and he is not easily pleased. I had the papardalle which was very good and so filling I couldn't finish. We had to try the Budino alla Caramello dessert which was as yummy as advertised. Our waitress (Sara O.) achieved the right balance between being attentive and not intrusive. So...all in all a lovely evening. Happy to find a new (non-chain) place in our area.