“Good food; good service”

Lucille's Smokehouse BBQ
Ranked #6 of 203 Restaurants in Brea
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This was our first visit to this chain restaurant. We're Southern east coast residents visiting family in CA, and went here for lunch while dropping off our niece at Cal State Fullerton. The food was good and plentiful. There were 5 in our group. We were seated immediately mid-afternoon on Saturday. Advertising as a "Southern" BBQ restaurant, they had sweet tea (sweetened with simply syrup, not plain ol' sugar in cold tea!) which can be difficult to find on the west coast. I like sweetened, but not really sweet, so asked for "half and half". It was very good. My husband and I ordered the 7-oz. sliced beef brisket, which was cooked very well but not quite tender enough to warrant a "5 star" rating. The taste was nice and smoky, but not too heavily so. It is served with a light-style sauce sort of like au jus -- perfect and didn't overpower the taste of the meat. There are also 3 different BBQ sauces available on the table, but I didn't use any because the meat flavor was good without adding a heavier BBQ sauce. I selected the creamy coleslaw and potato salad as sides, and we shared an order of fried green tomatoes. Didn't care for the breading on the tomatoes -- too thick and a little heavy -- but the roasted red pepper sauce served with them was a nice touch. The coleslaw was delicious, and the potato salad was very good. My husband selected the cornbread and baked beans as sides, and said both were good. The beans were served in a small crock on the plate, so didn't flow into the other items. Nice touch. The in-laws shared the 3-meat platter with chicken, ribs and pulled pork, coleslaw and garlic mashed potatoes. It was plenty of food for the two of them to be thoroughly filled, but would have been "way too much" for one person. This happens to be their favorite meal at the restaurant. Our niece had a pulled pork sandwich with fries. It was very large, and she took half with her for later. The servers here work as a team, so you'll have different ones stopping by. All were very pleasant and attentive. They also serve a nice pre-meal basket of biscuits, and whipped butter flavored with apple (and maybe a touch of cinnamon?) This was really good but very filling, so be advised to eat lightly if you want to have room for your meal. Being from the South and very familiar with most styles of BBQ, this was as good as any we've had around home other than the slightly-less tenderness of the beef brisket. We'd definitely stop in again and recommend others do as well -- just be sure you're very hungry or ask for a "to go" box for leftovers! They have a nice dessert menu, but we had no room to try it. They also serve a variety of specialty teas and lemonades, soft drinks, beer, etc. Our niece had watermelon tea -- a glass of tea with a wedge of melon served in it -- which she really liked. I personally felt the prices were a little on the high side, but that is compared to east coast prices which seem to be a bit more reasonable. I personally think the meals would be too large for children under about 9 or 10, and possibly a waste of money unless parents took the remainder home for later.

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

The more times I eat here, the worse it seems to get. The service is impeccable, the atmosphere is great but the food is starting to leave a lot to be desired. The meat dishes are usually all very good. The side dishes are where the problem is. I'll give the rundown of our meal tonight:
Appetizers:
Spinach and cheese dip - A+
Fried okra - B

Soup / Salad:
Wedge salad with blue cheese and crumbles - C-
(Dressing did not taste like blue cheese and there were hardly any crumbles)
Potato Soup- F
(Wife took two bites and pushed it away)

Sides:
Potato salad - F
( I took two bites and pushed it away. Out of baked potatoes at 8pm on a Saturday night??? Your kidding, right??)

St Louis Ribs were not as good as usual. They were not plump and juicy but shriveled and dry. I usually order them without BBQ sauce but had to smother them with it to even eat them.

Last but not least, on the way out I asked where the toothpicks were and was told "sorry, but we ran out of toothpicks this morning".

Really???? You are a BBQ joint!! This is Saturday night!! You think maybe you would send someone down the road to smart and final, a grocery store or someplace to buy some toothpicks??

I eat here because it's convenient. I think next time I will be looking elsewhere.

1  Thank Mestisoboy
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The Mrs. and I had one of those rare evenings where the "kiddo's" weren't around. Just the two of us on a night out. She chose Lucille's (Brea) and I'll never complain about the choice.

We've visited other Lucille's before, but our favorite is the one in Brea on Imperial Highway just East of the "57 freeway."

She loves her baby-back ribs and I always enjoy their brisket. We got there on a Sunday night between 5:30 to 6:00 pm and only waited maybe 5-9 minutes for a nice window seat (booth). When we left... the waiting space was backed with fellow carnivores! I'm guessing the waiting time was maybe 20-40 minutes easily.

Service was great (is there any question about that?) and everything was yummy.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

It was my first time to get there. In general the ambiance is great, but their blues was over the top, really enjoyed the most. Perhaps that settled up the tune and my mood to enjoy the ribs, which were not s great as I expected, but good enough to enjoy and calm my hunger for ribs. I think the meat was not as tender and juicy as it should be (probably already hog and not fresh frozen).

4  Thank idrovoviva
Reviewed July 13, 2013

its ok, not my favorite place but its ok!! not big on BBQ's so not a fair review I guess... sometimes the service isn't very attentive sometimes it's better so just depends I know not much help huh??