“Great facilities and well marked trails”

Big Basin Redwoods State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Towering redwoods meet the sandy beach, offering something outdoorsy for everyone.
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I went on a short hike here and were very impressed by how well kept the park was. There seemed to be a good variety of trails (short - long, easy - advanced) and the park shop had plenty of food and other supplies. Good for all ages and ability groups.

There are newer reviews for Big Basin Redwoods State Park

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Two things probably made me a little jaded during my trip here. 1. I went on a warm Sunday afternoon in August, and it was PACKED 2. I was at Yosemite the day before, so I had just experienced about the best park experience in the world.

If I knew what I wanted to do at the park before getting there, and if I would've arrived first thing in the morning, I probably would've loved it. On a Sunday afternoon there were crying babies and cars everywhere. I saw more pets than actual wildlife. Once I finally found a trail where I could get away from the biggest crowds, the scenery was very impressive. I'm 6'-7" but felt like a hobbit walking amongst the massive redwoods. The first stump I came across was even a foot or two taller than me. It seems geared very much toward campers rather than day trippers. There are camp sites all along the trail I was on, and it was very disorienting. The trails are not well marked in places. Hopefully I will have the chance to try again someday because the forest was really quite impressive.

One last thing: bring cash. It is $10 to park (very cheap considering what you get). The problem is that they only take cash and the ATM is inside the gate. I was instructed to park my car (literally a mile away because if the crowds), walk to the gift shop ATM, then to a different ranger station to pay, then the mile back to my car to display the receipt, then the mile back to the visitor center. It was a nice day for a walk, but that was a bit silly.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Coming from Norway I loved the narrow and sometimes steep road leading to this park! We went via Saratoga, and this road was just like mountain roads at home :-).
Very interesting so see the tall redwood trees, very special and different to woods at home. Not many visitors when we visited the park (mid May), so we had the paths almost to ourselves. Great an relaxing, spent a couple of hours and took a very easy stroll. Just great!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Coming from the east, the car's GPS routed us thru Sarasota. Not the way to go. Very pretty, but so narrow there wasn't even a center divider painted on the road. This is not the route to take! We've visited many, many state and national parks across the country. This was the most poorly administered. Admission is paid at the visitor center, not at the kiosk in the road adjacent to it. The provided map of the park was not comparable to what was provided in the past at other parks. When I inquired about a trail guide as detailed as what was posted outside the visitor's center, I was told to simply take a picture with my phone. When we started on what we thought was a simple, short loop trail starting at the visitor center, a very nice lady overheard my questioning the trail marker. She shared that she had been wondering around in the woods looking for the same trail. We finally found it, but the pamphlet provided with admission was very misleading. No soap and no paper towels in the restrooms by the visitor's center in the early afternoon on a weekday? The whole place was suggestive of delayed maintenance and the lack of funding and staffing. The trees, as these big coastal redwoods always are, are truly magnificent. If you don't have the time to visit the redwoods north of Leggett, this park will at least impart to the casual visitor their majesty.

3  Thank Les J
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in as a planned stop on our way to Monterey. In tow with the kids age 10 and 7. Everyone loved it (being from Chicago). Kids said this was one id the best part of the trip.
Various hikes to accommodate physical fitness or time constraints.
Entry was nominal per car .. Around $10. Roads are windy if you are prone to motion sickness.
It's also dog lover country! Dogs of all kinds allowed in. Clean bathrooms to boot!
Great time!