“Tent Camping is the way to go!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Boulder Creek
Big Basin Tent Cabins
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My family just came home from two nights tent camping at Big Basin. We wanted to experience the redwoods and camping but didn't want to pitch a tent so this was a great compromise. I was surprised at how clean and roomy the tent cabins are with the two full size beds, table and stove. The camp space also had a fire pit, food locker and a nice size picnic table. The restrooms are very nice and clean which was a very pleasant surprise considering we are camping.

The only reason I gave it four stars and not five is that on our first night there was a group of campers ignoring the quiet hours and were having a party up to midnight hours past the quiet hours which begin at 10 PM. The park host had a closed sign on his trailer and there was no ranger nearby so my husband had to drive searching for one. He ended up at the park headquarters over a mile away to use a payphone (luckily he had four quarters in his pocket) to call the sheriff department who forwarded him to the park ranger. Long story short he returned to the campsite and waited until the ranger came which was about ten minutes later and it took two times for the ranger to tell the party goers to be quiet. It would have been nice if they did patrols after 10:00 to make sure that everyone is following the no noise rule so we wouldn't have to get in our car and drive searching because if he hadn't we would never had any sleep. The second night was very peaceful as the party group had left and it would have been nice if it was like this the first night.

Overall, we had a lovely time at Big Basin and my kids loved every minute of it. We will be back in a few months I'm sure since there are some trails we would love to explore but couldn't because we brought our dog. I would stay at the tent cabins again and hopefully it will be a little nicer experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank swithygirl
hpgdiver, Public Relations Manager at Big Basin Tent Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Dear swithygirl, thank you very much for your FOUR STAR review of Big Basin Tent Cabins. We are pleased that you found the cabins roomy and clean and a great alternative. We are so sorry for the noise on your first night. And apologize that your husband had to find a ranger to quiet down the neighbors. We are working with our park staff on patrolling after hours on weekends. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We are delighted that you are visiting again this fall and look forward to your visit! Thank you again. Best Regards, Hollie Potts Gray

Reviewed June 23, 2014

I had been planning to go tent camping as usual, when my friend from Mazatlan, Mexico announced she was coming to visit. She hadn't been camping before, much less in a redwood forest, which couldn't be much more different from where she comes from, so I switched to a tent cabin.

I was glad I did. All of the cabins have ample space, and they come equipped with two double beds, a table with benches, and a woodstove. I brought plenty of blankets and we were plenty warm - we didn't need to use the woodstove at all. I also brought plenty of food, and I was glad I did, since the food in the campground store is amazingly expensive, though we did get lunch one day at the campground restaurant and that was very good, and didn't ruin the budget. Outside the tent cabin was an extra long picnic table, a fire pit, and a bear box to store food in. The bathroom was just a short walk away, it was very clean, and a good, hot shower only cost 50 cents (bring quarters for the shower).

I called ahead and asked the ranger to recommend a space that would be away from other spaces, so hopefully quiet. She recommended space #21 and it was great for us - in a beautiful clearing of tall redwood trees, not too far from the bathroom, but far enough away from that and from other campers that we had a very quiet and peaceful time. Once there, it looked to me as if actually all the tent camping spots have plenty of space around them, and are private enough to be enjoyable.

The park has lots of nice hiking trails. We wanted something easy and fun. We walked the nature loop, and hiked to a waterfall, and did a little driving tour of the park. My friend was amazed at the huge redwood trees on the nature loop. This is such an easy little hike, I think it is even wheelchair accessible, and it gives you a great feeling for the forest, including some really huge, 2,000-year-old trees.

Being accustomed to tent camping, I was a bit horrified at the price of the tent cabins, but what the heck - it gave us a wonderful experience of staying a couple of days in a redwood forest park, in a way that was very easy and comfortable. We had a great stay and a very memorable time.

Room Tip: I called ahead and asked the ranger to recommend a space that would be away from other spaces, so ho...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank HappyTrails12345
hpgdiver, Guest Relations Manager at Big Basin Tent Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear Happy Trails, thank you so much for your FIVE STAR review of Big Basin Tent Cabins! We are delighted that you enjoyed the accommodations, trails and campground restaurant and gift shop. Thank you for choosing Big Basin and we hope to see you again. Best Regards, Hollie Potts Gray, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I don't think I will ever go back to regular tent camping.This was the greatest experience. The camping package is awesome! And so affordable!!!
I was worried about the bedding, but the sleeping bags and pillows were perfect!The staff here, were so friendly and helpful. The campground is in great location and you can hike down to the Gift shop and get a rootbeer float,ice cream and Espresso!!! The cabins are private, bathrooms are near and great
space at each site for
small kids to safely play.
Oh and I Love that the tent cabins have wood stoves to keep you warm at night!
thanks Kerry and William and.... The whole staff for making our stay the most amazing camping experience in the gorgeous Redwoods!

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank Deborah W
hpgdiver, Public Relations Manager at Big Basin Tent Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Wow! Thank you so much for the raving, five star review of Big Basin Tent Cabins. We appreciate you taking the time to write and share your experience. We are so glad you had such a wonderful trip and we appreciate you mentioning our management team, Carrie and William. Carrie has been managing Big Basin for over 20 years and she always appreciates being positively mentioned in a review. It was our pleasure serving you! Hope to see you again.

Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights on a deluxe package. I got locked out of my car on second night and the tent cabin host was very helpful and arrange for help and got me out of the sticky spot!.
We being first time campers we found this place very supportive!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank vjvk

Thank you so much for your five star review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at Big Basin Tent Cabins and pleased that our onsite staff helped you out of the sticky situation! We hope to see you again this summer!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We had a super time! The tent cabin was spacious and clean, even had a little wood stove inside. Our site was pretty good, and from what I could tell all the tent cabins had very nice, large private sites. Incredibly beautiful park-- so great sleeping under a redwood canopy. Park staff were nice and welcoming. Bathrooms were clean, and the showers were above par for a campground type facility.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Elizcole1

Thank you for taking the write such a wonderful five star review. We are delighted that your camping experience was great and we appreciate the positive feedback. We hope to see you again this summer!

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Having never been to Big Basin state park, the wife and I decided to spend a few nights on a camping trip there. The tent cabins were basic but clean with a small wood burning stove which came in rather useful at night and in the morning for this time of year. Trees are plentiful with limited sunshine should you decide to visit or stay in the autumn months. Showers are clean as well as the restrooms. Evening hours bring out the critters. Raccoons and skunks made their way into our campsite while we were sitting around the campfire. They are not shy by any means!

I would highly recommend(if you are camping) to bring plenty of your own firewood, you will probably burn plenty. And plenty of your own groceries. You want to try to avoid their grocery store if at all possible! Their prices are far and beyond outrageous. Like $10.00 for a small bundle of firewood, $6.50 for a HALF gallon of milk. Well you get the idea. Just plan ahead and enjoy the great outdoors.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Siciliandad
Reviewed September 3, 2013

A really nice grouping of camping sites under the canopy of the Redwoods. We had a wonderful time and will return again!

Be forewarned- though these are tent cabins, this is "camping" not luxury camping- only expect egyptian linens, pinot noir and aroma therapy candles if you yourself pack them.

That said- this is a pristine and beautiful park- filled with trails to hike and sites to see! The State park rangers and staff are everything you could hope for; friendly, informative and passionate about their charge.

In the Summer there are daily free programs for children as well as family events near the park's center. The restrooms and showers are spotless!

In you choose a tent cabin vs. regular camping or RV camping I would recommend site #21 or #22. 21 is located in a tree ring, #22 is near the trail head and above the creek. Both are far located near enough but not too close the the restrooms. Here is a site map- note the more private sites

There are great not to far walks along the Shadow brook trail and up to the falls at Sempre Virens.

If you are more adventurous and have a good pair of shoes try the Skyline to the Sea trail! but arrange to have transportation back to the park, unless you plan on an overnight.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Fern River Resort Motel
Chaminade Resort & Spa
Chaminade Resort & Spa
#14 of 54 in Santa Cruz

Been to Big Basin Tent Cabins? Share your experiences!