Review Highlights
Off Road Dessert Adventure

The most fun that we've had in a while. Picking a safe activity during these social distancing... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Egduc
Authentic, adventurous, and unique experience you'll rave about for a while

My boyfriend and I did a private desert tour for my birthday - it was an incredible experience! We... read more

Reviewed June 27, 2020
CaroJStar
New York City, New York

Recommended experiences in and around Borrego Springs
from $153.85
More Info
All reviews hour tour private tour lemon water off road slot canyon anza borrego great tour flora and fauna joe knows his knowledge army truck brownie split mountain fonts point jeep ride knowledgeable guide open air
Selected filters
Reviewed January 4, 2016

This is the second time I have gone to California Overland for a desert tour. The first time was a few years ago and I took my 13 year old son and my 83 year old father. Both had a fabulous time.
This time I went for a wedding and went with all my siblings and my dad. The desert has so much to offer. The panorama is incredible. The trails are great and the trucks are so much fun to travel in.
My sisters, father and I had a picnic in the middle of the desert with refreshing lemon water, nice sandwiches and a dessert with the others on the tour. Everyone was so friendly and it was nice to sit in the shade after the drive out there and get to know them.
I live in Italy, so I don't get this way too often, otherwise I would be here every weekend. There are so many different things to do.
The next thing I am planning is an overnight camping trip, dinner by the camp fire, a night hike and star gazing! I hear it is something I will never forget.
Maybe next time I will bring all my kids and my husband, too.

Date of experience: July 2015
1  Thank valerie r
Reviewed January 3, 2016

Definitely worth doing! We did a group excursion and had a great time exploring the off-road areas of the desert. So much fun!

Date of experience: December 2015
1  Thank Claudia R
Reviewed September 16, 2015

Went for the Perseids Meteor Shower that we enjoyed along with so many other things on this overnight. Had a great tour to Font's Point (what a view) on the way to our campsite. Joe and his staff were wonderful and very informative on Anza Borrego. Food and wine were delicious but the ice cold lemon water hit the spot with the high temps! Dennis Mammana with his expert knowledge and telescope were a special treat. Enjoyed being with our fellow campers by the campfire and under the stars! Thanks Joe for the scorpion hunt- everyone loves those pics!

Date of experience: August 2015
2  Thank dobieowner
Reviewed August 15, 2015

We had a great time on the Celestial Overnight!!! We loved everything about it! The staff, the other campers, location ... the scorpion hunt was a big hit.

Date of experience: August 2015
2  Thank Ahuva123
Reviewed July 26, 2015

Joe, owner of Overland Desert Excursions, provided us (Arlene, Sasha & Benjie Garcia and Thelma and me) a great adventure. The 104° weather was severe but it didn't stop us! We jumped into Joe's all-terrain military vehicle and first visited a box canyon that needed 4-wheel drive to even approach. It was carved into soft sandstone deposited by the Colorado River millions of years ago. Then Joe proceeded to describe the flora and fauna of the area (teaching this old Arizona Boy Scout many things!), the geology (which is astonishingly complex and active), and the history of the area from 10,000 to 10 years ago. We were duly impressed. Joe is amazingly patient and accommodating, fielding questions from novices and old know-it-alls alike with good humor and patience. Then we sat down to a great dinner, fried chicken, potato salad, a green salad, and even watermelon for our Fourth of July celebration. Then we were off to see the BAD LANDS ending up at Font's Point. Check out the amazing images that I posted to my facebook site, and then after the sun set we went to Clark's dry lakebed ---far enough from the city lights to see a beautiful rising of the Milky Way and with Joe's equipment, the Galileo's moons of Jupiter and the crescent of Venus. A beautiful trip. We are planning to return for another of Joe's adventures!

Date of experience: July 2015