Review Highlights
Authentic, adventurous, and unique experience you'll rave about for a while

My boyfriend and I did a private desert tour for my birthday - it was an incredible experience! We... read more

Reviewed June 27, 2020
CaroJStar
New York City, New York
Best tour

Best back country Jeep tour ever. Hope to do it again next year. Drove over roads that I wouldn’t... read more

Reviewed April 2, 2020
wendypendy1950
Truckee, California

Recommended experiences in and around Borrego Springs
from $153.85
More Info
All reviews hour tour private tour off road slot canyon lemon water anza borrego dry lake bed great tour flora and fauna joe knows his knowledge army truck brownie split mountain fonts point jeep ride knowledgeable guide
Selected filters
Reviewed March 15, 2015 via mobile

Wanted to do something different for husband's 60th birthday and this fit the bill. We have visited Borrego many times but this adventure took us to places we had never seen before. Joe was the nicest guy and so full of knowledge. Jeep was very comfortable and provided a fun ride. We took the 2.5 hour private tour and Joe made sure that we got every minute worth of sites and information. Don't even hesitate to experience this adventure!

Date of experience: March 2015
Reviewed March 13, 2015

Joe was very well informed about the past, and present geology. He brought us to places that we could never get to by our car by jeep. We had a nice picnic lunch at a oasis shaded by palm trees. We traversed "Mars" on a sandy road on the way to Fonts Point, an amazing site that is hard to imagine is really in CA, much less Earth. Though we missed out on the splendor of most of the wild flowers blooming, Joe pointed out some impressive flowers and plants as well as how they were used in the past. We had a great day, even with the wind blowing sand. I still got some great pictures!

Reviewed March 8, 2015

We did the 2 hour private jeep tour. Our driver/guide was Joe. I think he is owner or partner. Clark Dry lake and homestead and Font Point. He was knowledgeable on local flowers and general history. Jeep was old but in good repair. Rides like an army jeep.

Interesting animals at Clark Homestead - antelope ground squirrel and quail. Nice flowers in March, after rains. font Point has stunning views of bad lands. Well worth the drive there.

Great excursion. Can't speak to the five hour or overnight outings, although Joes personality leads me to believe they would be well handled.

Tripadvisor list this as an attraction, but it is really a service.

Date of experience: March 2015
Reviewed February 28, 2015

Recently my (2) sons, ages 21 and 16, and I did an impromptu boys only trip from the east coast to California. Flying by the seats of our pants, and after dealing with the madness that L.A. brings, we were looking for some rest and relaxation. By chance, we happened upon California Overland Desert Excursions. In speaking with the guys from California Overland, and being told our options and what to expect, we opted for the Anza-Borrego Desert overnight excursion in the former military vehicle. Although I am not particularly keen on camping, the boys reluctantly talked me into it. After spending a day and a half with the "crew", all I can say is that our adventure was totally AMAZING. From camping under the stars, to cooking on a grate over a flame, to the excursion the following day to Fonts Point, everything was exactly as described. The guys at California Overland were totally professional and knowledgeable which made for an outstanding adventure. The worst part was leaving and having to head back east. The boys continually talk about our camping excursion. We are already making plans for a return visit next winter however, our boys only trip will now include my wife.

3  Thank Gary P
Reviewed February 26, 2015

My husband and I went on the Font’s Point North: 5-Hour Excursion tour provided by California Overland Desert Excursions out of Borrego Springs. We were taken in an old open air truck with cushioned wooden bench seating and wooden planks against the back. Although it wasn't too bad to start out with the terrain is VERY RUGGED and the suspension and cushioning are non-existent making it a severely uncomfortable ride after a while. It seemed that someone could easily get injured and that any one with a bad back would risk injury. That said, we saw some incredible and amazing desert sights. The other thing missing from this trip was a knowledgeable guide or an audio tape or something to tell us what we were seeing when our guide was driving us around. Our guide although very friendly, should have had more knowledge of the history of the area and the names of the plants, etc. One tip especially for the ladies: Be prepared to pee behind a bush or a rock. There is a bathroom stop later in the trip but if nature calls, be prepared.

4  Thank MNMaryMary
deserttourguy, Owner at California Overland Desert Excursions, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2015

Hi, Mary. I’m sorry your experience with California Overland was less than delightful. Our larger excursion vehicles (former military issue) are well equipped to handle the rugged terrain and though we have installed upholstered seats, as with any other off-road company, we would NEVER suggest to anyone with a bad back that they participate! In fact, it’s on the FAQs page of our main website. Due to the drought and other natural conditions beyond our control, the terrain can at times make for a bouncy ride. Please note, however, that in our ten years in business no one, from 3 to 99 years old, has ever been injured while riding in our vehicles. Safety is our number-one concern. As also stated on our website’s FAQs page, we don’t like to use a P.A. system in the vehicles as we want to highlight the silence and solitude of the desert rather than sound like a Universal Studios tour. We think it makes for a more genuine experience and allows for uninterrupted conversation among the participants as well. Our guides instead get out of the vehicles and address customers directly at the various stops along the way or everyone gets out to explore together. Lastly, we make it very clear on our website and online booking page that only some of the tours provide restroom access. Unfortunately, really getting out in nature means not being near man-made bathrooms. I’m glad you at least enjoyed the amazing scenery, and I wish you well on all your future adventures!