“Slum Lords” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Boynton's - Hacienda del Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Borrego Springs
Boynton's - Hacienda del Sol
Los Angeles
“Slum Lords”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2009

We stayed over New Year's and I learned a bit about this place to clarify what others have said. I walked around the property and saw a Hummer and late-model Mercedes sedan parked in front of the largest unit, a cottage opposite the motel building. I said hi and was greeted by the actual owners who were staying for a couple of nights. Apparently they have a fairly decent two bedroom cottage that they keep for themselves. They use the unit as a vacation away from home. The guy that reviews talk about is their manager, and he has been there for many years. I noticed that he had a no-vacancy sign up except for the nights the owners were there. When he put that sign up there were obviously still plenty of vacant units, but the sign magically disappeared when the owners arrived, and then went back up again when they left. We stayed in one of the six motel units. We could see that recently all of the windows facing the sunset were taken out and the wall filled in so there is no cross-lighting or possible fresh air currents through the room. This makes the rooms rather dark, and I can only imagine how stuffy during warmer weather. Two Spanish-speaking ladies drove around during the mornings in an electric maids' cart. They are nice enough, I'm sure, but they did not really clean, only replaced towels. They must clean between guest arrivals because the room was clean when we arrived. Oh, yes, the manager told us to come back at 2pm when we arrived at 1pm. Funny thing is that we hung out and noticed no activity took place around the units during the waiting period, so the wait is only an enforced formality. Maybe we should expect some odd behavior in remote places, I don't know.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Angelin0

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2009

Extremely basic, a notch above camping, I think. Maybe I am in another time zone, but I expect more than this when spending a 120$ a night for a room. Some people might call this old and charming, but spartan is more what comes to mind. I have stayed in many basic places in the Southwest and been happy, but this, to me, is pretty slumy. Honestly, I would be more comfortable primitive camping or in a campground, except that it was cold out. I did not find the management friendly - maybe even hostile. Being in construction, I don't have much tolerance for things like the roof beams and fascia cracking and sagging. I thought someone was walking on the roof all night, and found out the problem the next morning. I think the whole Borrego Motel scene is due for a wake up call - in general, the rates are way too high and people just won't go there beyond the few weeks of flowers. By then, its warmer, and the nice campgrounds have warm showers. I was hoping this place would be an alternative to the pricier places. Borrego still needs a modest, yet nicely basic place. If you know of one, let me know. Its not this place.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EdwardAbbey
Southern CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2009

Fifties motel with nice grounds located in the middle of town. Clean, well maintained, decorated with thrift store style furnishings, not unusual for Borrego Springs. Manager is a stickler for rules, pool closed and locked promptly at 9:30 pm no exceptions. Made us wait outside for two hours untill check in time, even though our room was vacant and ready.

• Liked — You can park your car and need not return to it untill you are ready to leave Borrego.
  • Disliked — Manager can be a weenie.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank daddyoSouthernCA
Midwest
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2009

Dont stay here!
What a dump!
Dirty towels in bathroom
Grime everywhere-didnt want to touch light switches.
Broken light.
Broken window that looked like someone had actually broken
into the room.
Hot water ran out quick in shower.
I expect more for 80$.

• Liked — convenient location
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elwood1
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2008

This is a '50's motel that is getting a little decrepit around the edges, but is still clean and functional.

Notably, we found that its charm grows on you, and that's why I give this motel an above average rating. The courtyard in the middle is very relaxing and comfortable; in fact, we ate our breakfasts and dinners out there. The pool is nice, is a good size, and includes a shaded portion. The location is great: across the street from a small mall, next door to a grocery store, and within walking distance of several restaurants. And it's just down the street from the Anza-
Borrego visitor center. There was a VCR in our room, and the owner has a fair collection of videos you can borrow.

Bottom line: if we ever go to Borrego Springs again, we'll stay at the Hacienda.

• Stayed March 2008
Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

A friend who frequently travels through the desert here suggested the HDS and we took him up on it. It was great! This is NOT a plush swanky hotel with 600 count linens, etc, but a great old motorcourt straight out of the 50's. Sure it's old, but it's well maintained and very clean. The duplex we rented had a very small but very clean kitchen, so eats are cheap too. We didn't see the motel so can't comment on that. Folks at the desk were great fun too. I would definitely return for the clean rooms and nostalgia, not to mention proximity to the wildflowers.

Be aware that although each duplex will sleep 4, folks in the front bedroom/living room can only access the bathroom by going through the main bedroom, so probably fine for families or very close friends...
The owners pointed this out to me while I was making reservations, so they're not hiding anything. We went with another couple and rented side-by-side duplexes, had privacy but easy meeting for evening drinks and dinner. Several restaurants are within easy walking distance as well.

• Liked — Location, nostalgia
  • Disliked — Nothing surprising.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
La Jolla, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2007

We've stayed here many times over the past 36 years, and I am surprised that this motel just recently made comments on trip advisor reviews. It is probably about 50 years old, but kept up. It is a basic motel, mom and pop style, in a hamlet where people ususlly arrive during daylight or early evening hours because of the circuitous access from the west, and in a place where nigt life stops
at 7-8 PM. I am not at all surprised that the managers were sleeping at 11PM, as mentioned in the last review. It is a satisfactory, very basic, and comfortable accommodation, especially in the bungalows. The place is kept clean. It is on about 6 acres of land, which gives a nice, uncrowded feeling, even being in the "center" of town, however tiny it may be.

I like the nostalgic feeling there, and the location. It's just a no frills property.

• Liked — Quiet, spacious grounds
  • Disliked — some older dinged furniture needs to be replaced with the like kind.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple