“Good Burritos but a Bit o' Bigotry”
Review of LOS JILBERTOS

LOS JILBERTOS
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Actually my favorite food here is the UFO. It's basically a tostado with what seems to be a flat deep fried shell. Los Jilbertos is very convenient taco shop and more that is located right off the main drag. You quickly order from the counter, and the place keeps early morning and late hours seven days a week. The prices are fair, though I'm disappointed that when I order my UFO without meat, they won't sub a little avocado for the meat even though I pay for a meat UFO since no vegetarian version is on the menu. I really like that they sell horchata, a sweet rice milk drink that is great over ice on a hot day. While you're waiting you can dig into the pickled relishes.

Nevertheless I think I'm being more than generous in knocking off only a point in that I find it a real drag that they disseminate those nasty and very dated Jack Chick tracts right there on the front counter. I lost count of how many times over more than a year I told the different gals at the counter how offensive I find them (google it if you want a taste of Chick's virulent and mendacious attacks on everybody who isn't a Christian fundamentalist). Once I even went to the trouble of obtaining a bag full of colorful little tracts from the American Bible Society that feature biblical quotes from the Psalms, Sermon on the Mount, and such with lovely nature photos; I handed them to the owner, but maybe she trashed them because only those ugly Chick tracts persist.

Oh well, it is their place and they have every legal right to do that, but like another reviewer said, "there are better places in town if you want Mexican food." I really prefer (and feel very welcome at) El Borrego, a mom and pop Mexican restaurant on the east part of town by the True Value and gas station. The other Mexican restaurants are also quite nice.

There are newer reviews for LOS JILBERTOS

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've been coming to the Anza Borrego Desert since I moved to San Diego county in 1998. The one stop I never miss at Christmas Circle is Jilbertos. Two words: Fish Tacos. Get one - go to HEAVEN. I mean heaven. You will thank me. Just do it. Authentic Mexican take out at its finest, with indoor seating and tables outdoors. I have had 100 different species of fish tacos since "discovering" them on my arrival 15 years ago and Jilbertos is in the top 8 - maybe the top 5. Awesome!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We were a group of 40 that arrived just before noon and we were served in a prompt
manner and all agreed that the food was very good. We had not notified them that we were
coming and they did a super job .

1  Thank Marie O
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The food we had was generic, nothing special. There are better choices in town if you want Mexican food.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Plenty to choose from here and you get a lot for you money. Quite a few salsas to choose from as well. Not a bad stop in a town full of Mexican restaurants.

1  Thank HemisphereRambler