“Which room makes a difference”

Palms at Indian Head
Southern, CA
“Which room makes a difference”
Reviewed December 20, 2006

In general, we would come back to this place. The hottub was excellent and there were great views and a nice pool. This entire hotel was quirky/unconventional but clean and nice staff. I would recommend it if guests are looking for no frills and basic accomodations.

We stayed in a suite for 2 nights. There were 3 adults in our party and we were told the one bedroom suite with a pull out couch would accommodate us. When we arrived we discovered that there was no door between the LR and the bdrm. (not what we were looking for). The room was dark (no real windows and too few lamps) and on the service side of the hotel. Not to mention it was cold and there was no heat.

When I asked if I could see the other style rooms I was pleased to see the reg. rooms overlooking the pool to be cozy and full of light. We did not opt to move but at least I can recommend the other options at this the Palms.

Stayed December 2006
6 Thank travelerinCA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
los angeles
Reviewed June 13, 2006

my wife and i took a motorcycle ride from the south bay of los angeles to borrego springs (approx 3 hours with plenty of stops). we had booked a one night stay at the palms at indian head and from it's website, it looked intriguing.

nice folks at check in and the room was clean and comfortable. a beautiful view out our window and it was time to relax by the pool. and what a pool! overlooking the desert in a quiet, secluded spot couldn't have been any more relaxing after a long motorcycle ride. it's an interesting art-deco hotel with great memorabilia in the lobby. hiking near the hotel looked good too.

we decided to eat dinner at the palms at indian head since the choices in town looked bleak. and what a great suprise... dinner, service and ambiance were fantastic! a nice wine selection too. oh, a nice continental (a bit more substantial than the usual) is included. that one night felt like a week. we're looking forward to another stay here.....

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank divergreg
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 19, 2006

My wife recently made reservations to stay here. Unfortunately, there was a mix-up on the dates. We wanted May 12-15, but unfortunately, we received a call on May 6, asking where we were.

We discussed the mix-up with them a few times. Given that we had plane and auto rental reservations for the following weekend, it was obvious if it was our mistake on our part, it was not intentional.

We were charged their cancellation policy amount for two nights. They told us that they could have booked it for the second and subsequent night, that they had to turn away guests. I highly doubt that since we had called around two week before, and had no problem selecting a place. We ended up staying at the Borrego Valley Inn on our intended weekend.

So what went wrong Well, for my wife and I, I always review our confirmations for flights, auto, and hotels, as a matter of past experience, but we never received a written confirmation in the mail. We still have not received any written correspondence from them.

Phone calls pursued, and finally in the last conversation, the owner was verbally abusive to my wife.

Oh yes, while we were in Borrego, I called to rent some mountain bikes from them. We wanted to go looking at the desert bloom. But, quess what ? "They do not like to have their mountain bikes used off of the road". This was iterated to me twice.

I would highly recommend the Borrego Valley Inn where the owners are wonderfull, the place is beautiful, there is desert bloom before your very eyes, and tranquility reins.

Stayed May 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
knoxville, tn
Reviewed April 3, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Palms for three nights in March and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The owners have done a wonderful job renovating the lobby area and the large pool was a delight. The rooms still need some attention, but were comfortable and clean. The Krazy Koyote Restaurant was located on-site and served delicious dinners. The atmosphere is very laid-back and casual, and we enjoyed talking to other couples in the self-serve breakfast area. The Palms is located at the base of Indian Head Mountain, and is well-situated to take advantage of the outdoor activities in the surrounding desert. My wife and I when on a horseback riding trip with Smoketree Ranch and a tour of the desert with California Overland Adventures both of which we highly recommend. If you're loking for total luxury, the Palms is not the place, but if you seek a quiet, relaxing desert location with good value, then check out the Palms.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank TennesseeTravelers
Sacramento, Ca.
Reviewed December 31, 2005

My wife and I enjoyed one of the two bungalows by the pool. It consisted of a large room, tastefully furnished and included a fireplace. This hotel has been around for awhile and has a few rought spots (cracked concrete, rusting lounge chairs) so don't expect a 4 diamond resort. But if your looking for something a bit more modest with an inviting character of it's own this may be it. Would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2005
10 Thank JayNeil
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 13, 2005

My boyfriend and I just spent a night at this unpretentious, lovely hotel that seems miles from anywhere but is very close to activities in the desert. We rented one of the rooms by the pool (highly recommended). It was spotless, nicely decorated, and quite private. The bed was luscious, with feather pillows and a down comforter. A fireplace and sitting area, good water pressure, great air conditioning (it was 98 degrees that day!)and a wet bar with a few stocked sodas-perfect! Even a couple of good quality walking sticks to borrow. We were given pool towels and visitor information at check-in, then left alone unless we needed something. The pool was spectacular and we spent lots of time there and in the jacuzzi, which has strong jets that melt your tension away. The night was so quiet and dark-the sky was blanketed in stars and we could hear coyotes yipping and howling close by-what a treat! Even the cottontail rabbits came onto the grass at dusk (I doubt the other hotels in town attract such wildlife). The restaurant on the property was not open for the season yet, but the residents in town we spoke to gave it great reviews. Some negative comments were made by past guests about the perpetual state of refurbishment the hotel seems to be in, but my tour of the premises found all rooms to be clean and nice, and the things that are not completed yet are so minor compared to the peaceful and relaxing atmosphere the hotel does offer.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Anchorage, AK
Reviewed October 3, 2005

While this may not be for everyone, (Marriott afficionados look elsewhere) for me it was a night I will always remember, and one I hope to repeat. It felt like a once in a lifetime night, but then I realized that I can go back! Viewing the stars at night by the pool or by the Zen Garden or even better, from the hot tub, was spectacular. Walking into the desert in the morning and exploring the landscape, feeling the extreme heat, and then jumping into the pool was perfect. The room was simple but elegant, nice extra's like refrigerator, microwave, coffee, comfortable bed. I will go back!

• Stayed October 2005