“Wonderful stay!”

Palms at Indian Head
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Spent Labor Day weekend here, first time visit. My wife and I stayed in room 2, one of the rooms formerly known as one of the Starlight Rooms. We had a wonderful time,.. the place is full of history and charm, and has a great staff. Marcella checked us in, and she was fantastic. Our room was spotless, and the pool was excellent. We sat poolside in 100 degree heat drinking margaritas and having a great time. The history of this place goes back to 1947 and there are reminders of its former glory everywhere, even signatures of the original builders etched in the concrete by the pool. Hollywood made it a favorite escape in the 1950's, and old photographs attest to the glory days. The new owners are slowly restoring it, and trying to keep it true to its art deco/modernistic look it had back when. The Borrego mountains surround the property and give it a peaceful, tranquil feeling that is hard to beat. Each day we stayed the staff brought us fresh baked macadamia nut cookies..can you beat that? We also had free breakfast coupons at their restaurant which was wonderful, and each night we had drinks and appetizers at the same restaurant, sitting at the bar and imagining how the Hollywood crowd caroused around in the olden days. The pool is absolutely wonderful, clean, fresh, and huge. We saw hummingbirds, rabbits, and squirrels among the towering palms and beautiful landscaping filing with blooming plants of orange and yellow and purple. Our last day we had the experience of being served by Angela, who came in special for the Labor Day holiday and made sure our last few hours were great. We plan to return, no doubt!

Room Tip: We had room 2. Try to get a room upstairs overlooking the pool. They also have two "casitas&quo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
David L, David and Cindy at Palms at Indian Head, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Thank you for reviewing us! From excellent service, to freshly baked macadamia nut cookies, I'm pleased to hear that you and your wife had a wonderful stay with us.

As you mentioned, there is plenty of history behind the hotel, and we have definitely put a lot of time and energy into maintaining it's splendor—I truly appreciate your recognition of this.

We are very fortunate to have Marcella and Angela on our team, and I know that they will enjoy reading your kind review as well.

It is our hope that you'll stay with us again sometime soon! We love to see a familiar face. Thanks again for your thoughtful review, and take care.

David and Cindy

Reviewed May 15, 2012

this is our 4th time to the palms...and i think this was are best time...we feel like we have found a treasure...but dont expect to do anything...we took are book and just floated in the great pool and read....there is no music...no noise expect the sound of the palm trees blowing in the wind and the sound of all different kinds of birds...We had dinner and breakfast there...there food is was wonderful as always..We are going again next month...Its a must to try if you just want a quite get away....

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank deb45cal2
David L, David Leibert, Owner at Palms at Indian Head, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

I'm feeling relaxed just reading your review! Pleased that you consider us a go-to spot when you need to get away and just recharge. After all, that's precisely our goal.

Thank you very much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor. We truly value your support, and hope to welcome you back soon.

Take care,

Reviewed April 28, 2012

What a strange little place this hotel is. I guess it fits in a bit with this expansive, quirky town that time forgot, entirely surrounded by the Anza Borrego Desert state park. There is some good, and some bad--but one thing's for sure--we'd never return this overpriced place again.

First, the good.

Location location location--if you are in town to visit the Anza Borrego state park (why else would you be there?) then this hotel is in a great spot, just minutes from the visitor center. It is at the end of a quiet street so there are no noise issues. From our second floor room, we had uninterrupted, expansive desert views of the entire Borrego valley. It's great to enjoy in the evening and when waking up in the morning. The night sky in the town is justifiably held in high regard--the stars are spectacular.

From the outside the hotel is a cool Mid-Century modern (albeit painted in a not terribly mid-century palette). They proudly display memorabilia from all the mid-century stars that stayed at the place--however, they don't advertise that the place visited by the stars was actually another building on the same site of completely different design that burned down in a circa 1960 fire. Rooms have expansive glass, clerestory windows, the pool is huge, there is indoor and outdoor dining.

Now, the bad.

While I love retro and mid-century design, the building's architecture is the only thing relatively "modern" about your stay. The lobby and rooms are filled with tired early 90s over-stuffed furniture that belongs in a Motel 8. If they renovated with IKEA products it would improve the look by about 200%. The pillows on the bed are paper thin--bring your own!--and have clearly not been replaced in years.

The bathrooms were remodeled at some point, but need to be remodeled again (the remodel done was the cheap "Home Depot special"). The soap provided to wash yourself in the shower--I kid you not--was Dial anti-bacterial handsoap in a pump bottle. The kind you use to wash your hands after using the toilet--with alcohol in it to kill germs. That's what they put IN the shower. No body wash or a bar of soap (two of the most INEXPENSIVE products anyone can buy, I can't imagine why this hotel can't supply them). The toilet was also not properly bolted to the floor and literally moved around if you pushed it.

The only thing nice about our room was the expansive desert views--luckily, our room was at the end of the hall on the second floor. If we had been in any of the other rooms, people would have been walking by and looking in all the time (each room is really a fish bowl) unless you close the ugly drapes, which defeats the point of staying here. If, despite my review, you chose to visit this place, request this room!

And on to problems a plenty...

First of all this hotel also operates an on-site bar and restaurant which is popular with locals. The employees running the bar and restaurant also run the front desk because apparently it is too much to pay $10/hr to have someone stand there to greet guests. Indeed, after the bar and restaurant close for the night, everyone leaves and you're basically on your own. How ridiculous. After arriving we had to trapse through the place just to find someone to check us in. The girl from the restaurant was unfamiliar with procedures and couldn't make the credit card machine work.

After the lengthy and unpleasant check-in we got to our room. We could not unlock the door, despite the little signs telling us their locks were very "tender" (or some such) and it would work eventually. I had to go back downstairs through the whole place to the restaurant and get the girl to come open the door. Hours later we were leaving for dinner and could not lock the door. Repeat exercise, although this time the girl agreed that the door lock was completely broken and had to call a repairman. We then had to take all of our valuables out of the room to our car when we left for dinner as the repairman worked on the non-locking door.

At night, it was quite cold (in the 40s) so we turned on the heater. It is made a lot of noise but did not work. We shivered all night long and got little sleep. The next day, at check out, we told the guy at the desk about the heater. He didn't offer an apology, or even really care. We ate breakfast poolside which and it was decent--then we got the heck out of there.

The worst part of this whole experience? The cost. $185/night for one the the LOUSIEST hotels I've ever stayed in. And at these rates they can't even update it?? I could have stayed at a great place anywhere on the coast in California or in Palm Springs for the same amount of money.

And the other benefits I mentioned earlier--nice stars, close to the park, etc apply to every other hotel in Borrego. After reading Trip Advisor reviews of this place, it seems like a lot of mixed feedback so I wasn't sure but took the plunge. I should have saved my money!

Room Tip: end of the hall on the 2nd floor!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank TheTravelMasta
David L, David Leibert, Owner at Palms at Indian Head, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

I am disappointed to hear that you were less than impressed with your stay earlier this year. Our hotel attracts a lot of guest purely because of the history associated with it. This is something that sets us apart from other places, and we are committed to preserving this unique aspect. I think that if we were to add Ikea furniture, for instance, it may diminish this quality.

Due to it's age, it actually costs quiet a bit to maintain the hotel as well. We try our best to keep everything up and running, but it's inevitable that we'll face a few bumps here and there, solely because the hotel is older.

That said, I really do appreciate all of your feedback, not only about the hotel itself, but the service. We rarely have people complain about our service, but I can assure you that I will be checking in with the staff about your visit. I promise we'll try and avoid situations like these again.

I can understand why you would be frustrated, and would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further. Please feel free to contact me (760) 767-7788.

All in all, we'd really love the chance to welcome you back. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

This is a secluded quiet place, right next to the mountain, in the heart of the desert. It is perfect for peace and tranquility. Beautiful pool and hot tub surrounded by panoramic views of the desert. The casita we stayed in was quiet and private, very clean and well equipped. Restaurant on site offering excellent food and is popular with the locals. Staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PamUK99

"It is perfect for peace and tranquility"—that's exactly what we aim for, so thank you. Did you get a chance to explore the surrounding mountains? I think they help make the whole place that much more special.

I'm truly pleased that you enjoyed your visit earlier this year. The next time you need to relax and recharge, you know where to find us. Thank you, and take care.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

This is a fabulous place to stay while visiting Borrego Springs. The owners have given attention to every detail to make The Palms exude the atmosphere of the '50s. My wife and I stayed for a week during the third week of March, and we were completely comfortable and happy every moment of our visit. The restaurant was also first-class. Clearly the people working in the kitchen understood the food they were preparing; it was always imaginative, fresh and tasty, I can't wait to visit again. I won't mention which room we liked the best for fear that someone might book it at the time of our next visit. Seriously, I don't think I've ever stayed in more comfortable place. Extensive kudos to owners and staff for providing a top-level experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank FourQs

Thanks for the "extensive" kudos! From the food, to the '50s atmosphere, I'm happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us back in March. I will make sure to pass along your compliments to the rest of the staff—they'll appreciate them!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Maybe sometime this August? Thanks again, and take care.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed here for three nights near the end of March. It is the only place we have stayed in Borrego Springs so I can only compare it to the place we stayed in Palm Springs for a similar price.

First the good parts. If you have a room on the second floor, the view is great especially the sunrise. The staff were very friendly, The room was clean. It was nice having a restaurant on site and the food at the restaurant was decent. We enjoyed eating breakfast outside every morning.

Now the average or not so good parts. This place needs to be better maintained. It has a very nice size pool but the water in the pool was very cold. There was only one person we saw who swam in it while we were there and he thought the temperature was 67 degrees. I don't know if it was that cold but it definitely was way below 80 degrees. The owners should consider solar heating the pool water or at least buy a pool cover to put on at night to retain some heat.

The electrical outlet in the bathroom did not work and the first day the bathroom sink's cold water didn't work.

If you like your privacy, then realize that if you have a room on the second floor, anyone can walk by and look in if you don't have the curtains closed.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank TommiNW

I am sorry that your stay this past March didn't meet your expectations. The hotel attracts a lot of guests primarily because of it's incredible history—a history that we've put a lot of time and energy into maintaining. We believe that this history is what sets us apart from other places, and many of our guests value this unique quality about us. Yet unfortunately, as things get older, they also get harder to upkeep, so I apologize if you experienced a couple hiccups with the water and electrical outlets. Again, we try our best to keep everything working in tip-top shape.

Also, because we are in the desert, we like to keep the pool at a colder temperature. Nonetheless, we are always looking to improve, and I will take your feedback into consideration. I like your idea about the solar heating cover! If you have any more suggestions, please feel free to share them as well.

I hope that you will give us another shot to impress you. With some improvements, I know that we won't disappoint. After all, that sunrise view is pretty unbeatable. Thank you for your review, and take care.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

My wife and I came upon this hotel last month while in Borrego Springs for the weekend. We ate here at the Koyote Steakhouse and the food and service were excellent. I had sashimi and an 8oz filet that was prepared perfectly. My wife had the spinach artichoke dip and the texas rib eye which was also perfect. We shared a bottle of Cline Syrah and had a delightful creme brule for desert. To our surprise there was also a gentleman playing the grand piano in the lobby and singing. The performance was wonderful and made for a truly romantic evening. He went through a long list or ballads and standards and even broke out the boogie woogie at the end of the night. We could not resist dancing. Definitely recommend this place if you are looking to get away or experience a truly romantic jazz lounge/dinner atmosphere. The lighting decor and vibe are straight out the 50s very classy, very civilized. If you make it out there say hi to the pianist from Henrey and Ashley. Check him out at www.wheelerrecords.com. If you call him in advance he will put flowers on the piano and prepare your favorite songs.

Room Tip: The Casitas have fireplaces and look out at the pool. Evening lighting and the stars are superb.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple