$80
$108
$105
$175
Hotels.com
All reviewsanderson valleyhotel barsmall townquiet eveningthis lovely hotelthe main hotelsipping wineapple farmsitting roomback porchlocal winebeautiful groundsa lovely stayroad tripwineriespinotmendocino
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Yah, Yah, it's all of that which the other "reviewers" describe, and without mention of The Apple Farm connection in Philo! The Schmitt/Bates family definitely has 5 bronze stars in the good taste department.

And they never talk about the really good stuff. You have to find that out for yourself! Visitors grumble that they've taken away TV's. Out with the "box of lies". As it should be!

I frequented the Hotel several times a month when in town. Sometimes I slept over at the Hotel. One night after dinner, I went to room 5 for bed. I was a bit wound up from the evening of good food, wine, fun and friends, and decided to work on my computer for a bit before bed. When I tired, I put the laptop away. Between the time I closed the lid and went back to bed to tuck in, I heard someone wrestle their way through the screen door at the back of the hallway to the rooms.

It sounded as though it was a sturdy man's boots pounding on the hardwood floor, entering through the upstairs rear wooden screen door entry. The screen door hit the frame, and he walked down the hallway. I could hear rustling, and it sounded like a large bit of heavy canvas. He wore what sounded like cowboy boot heels pounding heavily on the hardwood hallway floor. In fact, the impression I got was that of a cowboy wearing a stiff full-length duster which rustled as he walked. I could "feel" this person on the other side of the wall. And then, all sound in the hallway stopped. Nothing. No room key jiggling, no luggage set down, no breathing sounds, no nothing. Between rooms 3 and 5 it just stopped, and there was no more sound. I assumed the person was just standing there trying to find a key from his pocket.

Curiosity finally got the best of me and I opened my door to inspect what had happened. There was no one in the hallway. It was quiet and empty. There was carpet on the floor with a heavy pad; no hardwood floor, and the screen door had been replaced quite some time ago with a duo-pane heavy duty security door. Glass; no screen.

That was it. No threat. Nothing scarey. Just the cowboy working his way down the upstairs hallway. Some regulars know about him, and he doesn't bother a soul...

The Hotel is very old and has a colorful history what with the huge Rodeo town Boonville was. Much of the history is unknown because someone probably shot the guy taking notes! Grab the local AVA newspaper if you don't believe it. Mendocino has some sad and bloody history. It wasn't always food and wine tourism. The etheric visitors in the Hotel seem to be from rougher times - that era of pistols and cowboy boots. Not to worry. All the cowboy era visitors are harmless and not interactive! Adds to the charm, and what with NO TV...

Room Tip: Bungalows in the back are the best for comfort, quiet and secluded. Upstairs porched rooms facing street are nice, but noisy on a weekend night. Go for rooms in the back over the garden if you sleep upstairs.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Jillian R
Reviewed May 8, 2012

The hotel was very cold as well as our room. We inquired about heat and was told it was on. The hotel room had a funkie heat/radiator on the wall which never really got warm much less heated up the room. Bedding was sparse. For dinner, we asked to be seated near the fire place - but that spot had already been taken. It was extremely cold - the fireplace was for looks, not heat. Everyone complained about being cold. No response was ever given by the staff. All in all an expensive unheated hotel - although in summer - warmer and nicer.

I might add that the dinner was excellent as was the service. We had eaten and stayed at the hotel the previous summer and hoped the food would be as good - it was.

Room Tip: Chose a room with a good heater in colder months. The hotel/restaurant has poor to no heating, bring a warm sweater.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mary B
Reviewed March 30, 2012

This hotel is comprised of an old, but re-done hotel, with a number of newer "out" buildings with simple, inventively-designed interiors. These look out onto grassy terraced areas which lead to a circular vegetable garden. If you look on their site under "entertainment", they have a picture of hammocks and their cat, "Gus". And that is what you get--a lovely, charming, calm, aesthetically pleasing environment with a cat that will share the room with you, or not, depending on your preference. The outdoor restaurant, that was closed during our one-night stay, looked as if it would be a really terrific place for parties/events. And--although it may be for the "non-TV set" (no pun intended), they did have very fact internet service! The yogurt, granola, cut orange, great coffee breakfast really hit the spot. Service--casual and friendly.

Room Tip: There are upstairs rooms in the hotel that looked very nice. But the "out buildings" had porches and easy access to the lovely grounds. We stayed in the "pumphouse" and really liked it. Other outbuildings also had sitting rooms as well as bedrooms.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cassandra635
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Most of our previous trips to Anderson Valley had been day trips or camping. Now that we live in So Cal I was very pleased that my huband booked this trip for my birthday. Anderson Valley is one of the most beautiful wine regions in Northern California and the Boonville Hotel is a great place to stay for daily outing to the local wineries. Our room was charming and very comfortable. We had a huge balcony and would love to try to get one of those rooms in the summer when you could enjoy it more. The staff was friendly and helpful. The restaurant is very good and you should definitely have dinner there at least one night if it is open. They provide a light breakfast with homemade granola and fresh scones. I think my only ding on this place is that I think it is slightly over priced but then I thought the dinner was great value for the money.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2011

This was a great little place in small town Boonville. It was recommended by a winery from Sonoma and we're glad we followed it. It is very easy to get to and we got a room for one night with a balcony though we didn't sit out on it. The room was very clean and quaint with a full size bed. We asked to tour the rooms in the main house and we noticed that none of the rooms had a TV. We thought that was very nice, but it honestly felt weird. We caught ourselves a few times trying to look for a remote, but again I thought it was great not having one. We filled in the time with other (romantic) room activities. The hotel has a restaurant, but we decided to eat across the street at Lauren's which we highly recommend. The grounds in the back looked very nice, but it was a little chilly for us to walk around. In warmer times it would be great to sit out there, especially in those hammocks we saw. The only gripe and this isn't just this hotel but we've noticed that hotels are switching to just having a heavy comforter as your covers and it gets either too hot to sleep well with it over you or too cold to sleep without it. Again, this applies to many hotels I've stayed in not just this one.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple