“A wonderful splurge!”

Terrapin Creek Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Terrapin Creek Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Bodega Bay
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We were looking for a special treat to celebrate Bert's birthday and Cheryl being with us. Trip advisor pointed us to Terrapin Creek Cafe.
I've never been to a Michelin rated restaurant. I don't even know who does the actual rating.
But I'm thinking it means to have food that you've never had elsewhere. To have food that melts in your mouth with so much flavor. To enjoy a simple caesar salad that makes you shake your head that it can be so good.
We're lucky to be here on here on the off season. We had 5:30 reservations and were the first ones there. I had the mushroom soup which was delicious in flavor, but I'll chose the salad the next time. Bert, Ron, and Cheryl had their salads. Each claimed theirs to be the best.

I had the scallops which were perfected cooked and seasoned. I wish I'd had the polenta with it instead of the mashed potatoes. Cheryl had the short ribs and she loved it. Bert had the lamb and pasta - pass on this dish. It's mostly pasta. She loved the butternut squash and wished there was more of it. The lamb was shredded so you don't really get the full flavor.
Ron had the duck with kale and black rice. We all tasted each other's dishes and agree that the duck and scallops win best of!

Cheryl and I also had 2 oysters each. I could have gone for a dozen myself. They were awesome.
You can also order their bread with olive oil. I think our taste buds are not sophisticated enough - we wanted balsamic with the oil. So we used the butter instead.

Drinks - we wanted to save ourselves for the food, so we had hot tea. They have a wonderful individual ceramic teapot w/stainless lid. It kept my tea nice and hot. It was adorable and I went online and ordered one for Cheryl.

Deserts - I order the banana cream pie w/coconut, chocolate and caramel swirls. It was okay
Cheryl had the pann cotta which is the winner! The couple next to us ordered it after they saw us enjoying it so much and they were as happy with their selection.

We dined for a couple hours - it was just a most wonderful experience. The owners were about and the atmosphere was light and warm. Not stuffy and pretentious.

Definitely - we will return again. It is a true gem!

1  Thank roleen s

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Bodega Bay: population nine hundred fifty something-- or anyway, that's what the sign has said the last twenty five or thirty years. Bodega Bay-- known principally for being the setting of Hitchcock's "The Birds"-- seems about the last place you'd expect to find a Michelin starred restaurant. Yet, there it is, tucked unobtrusively into the corner of a shopping area you can easily miss, off the main drag a bit, next door to an art gallery. Cozy and casual, it's a restaurant which can throw you for a loop, with its immediate friendliness and total lack of self-consciousness. From the moment you enter, you know these people CARE about their clientele-- not just about the food and the wine, but about the entire dining experience. They want you to be comfortable and to enjoy a low-key, relaxed experience in their establishment. And they succeed completely.

We started our meal with a bit of confusion. No problem, said Andrew Truong, who happened to be waiting our table (and was humble enough never to have introduced himself as the restaurant's owner). He came back with a glass of wine he wanted us to try and a second suggestion when that wine turned out not to be to my liking. The second choice was spot on, but had it not been, he made abundantly clear that he'd make things right. Wow. For no particular reason, we opted to sample the sardines for our starter. Even though my previous experience with sardines has been the canned-in-oil variety, something told me I'd be in for a treat. I was not disappointed: served with gossamer thin breakfast radishes, avocado and cabbage in a curry and lime vinaigrette and cilantro garnish, these were sardines which started out good and got progressively better as we continued to eat.

We never did decide which we liked better: the pan-roasted cod over sauteed green beans and shiitake mushrooms with a black bean sauce or the muscovy duck breast fanned out over black forbidden rice, scallions, carrots and the barest sprinkling of English peas? The duck jus was tremendous-- and the entire ensemble of meat, rice and vegetable absolutely outstanding (OK, you can tell which dinner I had!) My husband, however, maintained that his cod was the best he'd ever had and the beans and mushrooms were to die for. This, quite naturally, did not preclude him from periodically dipping his fork into my rice and abducting huge mouthfuls. For whatever reason, I didn't remember much about dessert other than remembering that it-- like everything else at Terrapin Creek-- was delicious. A quick email to the restaurant came back with the response that that day's selection had been Caramelized Apple and Corn Meal Cake, along with a note from Andrew Truong, thanking us for dining with them.

I guess I should have written back to tell him that the pleasure had been all ours-- because believe me, it was.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

We were lucky to get a table at this popular place - thankfully, the rain resulted in a last minute cancellation, so I'm glad we called! The food was delicious and we tried a variety of small plates (oysters, crab cake, shrimp, local cheeses) instead of getting entrees. Service was attentive, and while the tables were rather close, we struck up an interesting conversation with diners at the next table. This place can be a little difficult to find (perhaps it was just the rain), but should definitely be on your list if you're in the area.

1  Thank nancyolah
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Andrew Truong and his wife Liya Lin go out of their way to provide great service and excellent food. Even with all the wonderful restaurants where I live in Healdsburg my wife and I try to visit Terrapin Creek at least once a month. As another reviewer reported the squash soup, Dungeness crab cake and rotelle pasta with lamb and feta cheese are all really special as is everything else on the menu. Great wine list with good selection by the glass. The restaurant has one Michelin star, however I think Andrew and Liya could care less----they do a terrific job in all aspects with or without the star----again "Not to be missed" if you are in Bodega Bay.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

While most of the food fare around Bodega Bay seems centered on the more touristy dimension of the Bay's fishing and crabbing industry, the fare here would have fit in any of the trendier Napa or Sonoma restaurants. We enjoyed brilliant Kabocha squash soup, Dungeness crab cake salad and rotelle pasta in a quaint, setting on top of the hill from the bay. A nice alternative if you're not in a crab chowder mood.