“OK but no better”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The beautiful setting and views at the Tides Wharf Restaurant will be the highlight of your visit to the Sonoma Coast. You'll enjoy our bright and airy dining room, large menu and attentive table service. The Tides is a favorite of first-time visitors and locals alike. Our Clam Chowder is house-made from scratch every day. Great for families or a romantic night out! Serving Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner 365 days a year Espresso Bar open daily at 7 a.m. Fresh Seafood Specials, Clam Chowder, Fish & Chips, Local Crab and Salmon (in season), Burgers, Pasta, Steaks, Vegetarian Children's Menu Food-to-Go House-Made Desserts and Pastry Shop Gift and Souvenir Shop Fresh Fish Market, Gourmet Grocery and Wine Large Groups Welcome
Reviewed August 3, 2010

The view is gorgeous. That's it for the plus side.
On the minus side, the food is average to good (I had halibut which was fine but I felt a small helping at the price), and the service is quite slow even though the place was far from full on a weekday evening.
For a place with such a large fish market I'd somehow have expected better fish.

Reviewed July 29, 2010

Had dinner there and ordered a mahi mahi seafood dish with potatoes and asparugas. The mahi mahi was supposed to have a crab sauce on top but it was more like a watered down cream tomato soup. The wine came in at $7.00 a glass and covered the bottom one inch of a goblet. The fish had no tast, was small in portion and I know I could have prepared something better by going to a local store and cooking it myself. Way too much money for the food. The scenery is great but that is the only attribute.

Reviewed July 29, 2010

I am a big supporter of Bodega Bay, a native to the general area, and I just cant get over the 3 disappointing times I've eaten here, I finally give up.
This place holds romantic signifigance for my husband and I. We ate our first dessert here on our first date, 10 years ago. Every other year or so, we make it to this place to relive our first date. And each time we choke on disappointment.
We've been lucky enough to get a table on the window several times, which is really a great view, I like watching the sea lions eat and frolic outside. But that is where the fun ends.
This is horrible quality bar food. And I actually like bar food.
My husband decided not to order the $30 steak and shrimp, cause the waitress mentioned it has only 2 shrimp. So he went for the safe "shrimp and chips", for $21 he only got 5 badly tasting shrimp and his plate was 3/4 covered with big steak fries, and that was it.
The wine glasses were super small servings, but we liked the wine selection well enough.
I ordered the "Calamari Grande", which said pan fried in Parmesan. The waitress warned me it was a red sauce, which was fine. The Calamari steak showed up completely breaded (which isnt on the menu), slathered in marinara sauce, covered with big slabs of mozzarella (again, not on menu) and sprinkled with said "Parmesan". This was Calamari Parmesana, and it was nasty. The Calamari was also mushy. I've had overcooked tough before, but not mushy gooey. I was so disappointed I couldnt even put it into words.
Our waitress was friendly enough, although distracted and curt. When she asked how my food was, I explained to her Parmesana, and that the menu should mention that. I was very nice, but never again did she ask how our food was. Also, after we finished our bread basket, we refused bread refills twice, and couldnt get them to take our bread plates and empty bread bowl away. They must have been eager to refill the bread, knowing that would be the best part of our entire $70 meal.
We'd loved our dessert from 10 years ago, but skipped it this time, there was nothing special on there.

2  Thank andeegoofy
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I know this restaurant doesn't get very many good reviews, but you just can't beat the location and that all seats have a wonderful view of the bay. Lately we have been having terrific service (that had been a problem for us in the past - not bad service, just not very friendly waiters). Our meals were very good, but we've had so-so in the past so it seems to be a bit of a crap shoot. But. . . I don't care - it is so worth the great atmosphere! Enjoy.

Reviewed July 19, 2010

My husband and I went to this restaurant because it was across the street from where we were staying. When we walked in we greeted and given our seat, not in the regular dining room, but in the bar area. Granted there were few people in there and we still had a view of the water, but I felt that I wasn't getting the intimate dining experience I had hoped for.

Then we get the menu and I looked at the prices. Yikes! I say this because I think they needed at least $10 for everything including a bowl of clam chowder which was, you guessed it, $10. All the entrees avereged $20 , which honestly would not be that bad if they tasted great. My husband got the surf and turf. The steak was actually good, though he ordered med. and ended up with med. rare. The lobster was bland and the sauce for the lobster didn't really help it. I ordered the fish cioppino. It was just really bland (I could be biased because I love my spices), Before we ordered our food, I ordered a long island. It was not very good. It was very weak and they put too much sour mix, or something in it.

On the good side, the server we had was reallly nice and served us to the best of her ability.