“Tired, a little mildewed, but being renovated soon”

Bodega Coast Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bodega Bay
Reviewed October 24, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for five nights as part of an Elderhostel program that was based here. Overall, the experience was fine. The room was huge by motel standards with a king sized bed, sofa, two chairs, TV desk, microwave and refrigerator.

My main complaint with the room was the bathroom. Very dated wallpaper was mildewed in numerous spots and this is something that a little TLC would take care of. The grout was also mildewed in some places due to the cheap plastic shower curtain that allowed water to escape the shower. The blanket on the bed was scary looking, but I asked for a sheet and just put the blanket between the two sheets.

In fairness to the Inn, the manager did say they are doing a complete remodel. In fact, while we were there, new microwaves and refrigerators were installed in each room one day. I would imagine that removal of the dated wallpaper in the bathroom would also be included.

The room itself was very comfortable, as was the bed. No problem with the TV or phone. The hot tub outside was wonderful and well attended by the "hostile elders". Continental breakfast pretty typical except for the Belgian waffles. Perhaps a second wafflemaker would make the wait for waffles shorter.

I don't have any idea what the cost of the rooms are due to the fact that this was included in the program cost, so cannot comment on the value. All things considered, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank virgenia

Reviewed April 14, 2006

Read the reviews of this motel carefully and don't dismiss the negative reviews.

We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and know the coast area very, very well. We have stayed in this motel. We were completely dissatisfied with our accomodations. The room was in very shabby shape. The furnishings were awful. There was mold and the place wasn't clean. The room was a dump. We travel a lot and this motel rates as the worst hotel/motel we've ever stayed in. We politely requested a room change which they said they could not accomodate.

We would NEVER stay in this motel again. We're don't like leaving a negative review but people deserved to be warned against this place.

Please note that rates here are high so one would expect quality at this rate.

Honeymooners or Couples: If you are looking for a romantic place, DON'T stay here!!!

19  Thank SFOTravel
Reviewed April 6, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Bodega Coast Inn for a weekend getaway in March 2006. The room was ok, nothing special. That's alright since we were there for the location, not the room. My main complaint stems from what happened after we left the hotel. I accidently left a pair of jeans, (my favorite, of course) and called the hotel looking for them. I called twice, before I spoke with Deidre and she informed me that my jeans were there. I asked if they could be mailed to me and she said she would check with the manager to see how he wanted to handle it. After a couple of days I called back and spoke with Mr. Keller, the manager. I asked him if he could mail my jeans to me and he said he could send them COD. I told him that because of my job, it would be difficult to pick up my jeans at the post office. I asked if I could give him my credit card number and have my jeans mailed to me. He said yes. The next day I got a notice that the jeans had been sent COD. I took off of work and went to the post office and I was told that it would be $19.91 to send a money order to the hotel to cover the cost of shipping $8.96 and a $10.00 "service fee". I am angry about the fact that the hotel is asking for a profit to send me back my jeans. I left them at the post office. I would be very interested to know if anyone else has ever been charged a "serivce fee" to have something mailed back to them. The manager assured me that this was standard procedure in every hotel he's ever worked at.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't believe customer service should end as soon as the customer walks out.

I will not be staying at this hotel ever again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone either.

• Stayed: March 2006
13  Thank FloandDon
sacramento, ca
Reviewed February 13, 2006

Unfortunately I did not look here before I stayed at this hotel. There were a lot of problems with the hotel which I would have been willing to overlook had the staff not been so rude. I still thought well that is just an employee so I sent a letter and filled out a comment card. I gave them 3 weeks to respond before I came here to warn others.

First off we were quoted one price and on check in the price was $150 more, which was corrected. The spa did not work the whole time and when I checked out I mentioned this and the response was "well it works now", pretty rude in my book. The TV did not work without lots of static and the phone cord had to be held while making a call.

I love Bodega Bay and wanted to like this place and I would have overlooked the flaws if the management acted like they cared. Now that I read these reviews I see that the management came on here and accused others of making things up, I wish I had read here first.

• Stayed: January 2006
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 6, 2005

This place was wonderful...My boyfriend took me here for our 4 year anniversary and I couldn't have been any more pleased...Our room was right next to the huge hot tub which we loved. Also we loved all the perks of staying here like the free champange and if you go to the golf course down the way you get a free bottle of wine just cause you stay here...I will love to come back. This is a very romantic place so make sure you have someone you love with you...

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Palm Springs, CA
Reviewed October 9, 2005

We always read "trip advisor" before we book a place. After reading the mixed reviews on this place we decided to WAIT and have a look (even if it meant we'd have to drive elsewhere) before we stayed.
We arrived pretty early (around 11 am) and, to tell the truth, were pleasently surprised. The place looked a little weathered (as MOST coastly properties do) BUT was extremely clean. The person at the front desk (later found out it was Tom, the manager) was very helpful and went out of his way to let us look at the rooms that were available. Again, very surprised! The rooms were very spacious and CLEAN. We picked one that had a "great" view of the bay with vaulted ceilings and VERY, VERY LARGE. We could not have been happier! We decided to stay for three days!
We did take the time to look at the other hotels/motels in the area, and in OUR opinion the "Coast Inn" is BY FAR the best value! A helpful and deliteful staff that went out of thier way to make us feel comfortable!
The breakfast is FAR more than continental! Lana, Tom's wife (and the real boss here, I believe) told us one afternoon that they had expanded it alot in the last year! NO MORE just "donuts and coffee"! I recommend it to ALL!
We have already decided to return. We had a wonderful time and would advise everyone to try this place out!
Thank-you, again, and see you all soon!

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed May 23, 2005

Where to begin....the filthy room? The standing water? The mold? The condomns under the bed? No, this wasn't one room..this was THREE and even at the end of all this the owner REFUSED to refund my money. I was there to spend my birthday and anniversary. It was shocking how rude and nonchalant the owners were. I spoke directly to him and he merely said sorry no refunds. He agreed to a free nights stay but truthfully, i did not ever want to stay there again. There was no apology. One of the most unkind humans I have ever encountered. What's worse? There was no management on sight. A 17 year old behind the counter with no forwarding number to reach management? In short, total nightmare.

• Stayed: March 2005
21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded August 30, 2005

I remember this incident. As you can see from OTHER responses this was a "fluke" and NOT a usual occurence. The complaint was about ONE room NOT three, and we did apoligize for our housekeepers oversite, they are a hard working group and sometimes mistakes happen. After talking to the "compainer" numerous times we DID allow her to speak directly to the "owner" of the property, and he went out of his way to try and rectify the situation by offering all that he possibly could including a "free" room upgrade. He didn't offer to refund the money BECAUSE THEY STAYED - THEY DID NOT LEAVE. About the statement of a 17 year old being on the desk with "no way" to contact the management (me) - totally FABRICATED! If I am off site (sight???) I ALWAYS have my cell phone with me and can VERY easily be reached. PLUS, the youngest person we have working for us is 18 and a high school graduate! Mis-information? In any case, we take "PRIDE" in our establishment, and each and every one of our employees are proud of the "job" they do here. Thank you for taking time to read this rebuttal, and hope this helps clarify our position.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodega Bay
#1 of 1 in Occidental
Fountaingrove Inn
Fountaingrove Inn
#4 of 24 in Santa Rosa

Been to Bodega Coast Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!