“Don't Dismiss the Negative Reviews!!”

Bodega Coast Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bodega Bay
San Francisco Bay Area
“Don't Dismiss the Negative Reviews!!”
Reviewed April 14, 2006

Read the reviews of this motel carefully and don't dismiss the negative reviews.

We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and know the coast area very, very well. We have stayed in this motel. We were completely dissatisfied with our accomodations. The room was in very shabby shape. The furnishings were awful. There was mold and the place wasn't clean. The room was a dump. We travel a lot and this motel rates as the worst hotel/motel we've ever stayed in. We politely requested a room change which they said they could not accomodate.

We would NEVER stay in this motel again. We're don't like leaving a negative review but people deserved to be warned against this place.

Please note that rates here are high so one would expect quality at this rate.

Honeymooners or Couples: If you are looking for a romantic place, DON'T stay here!!!

19 Thank SFOTravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Sacramento
Reviewed April 6, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Bodega Coast Inn for a weekend getaway in March 2006. The room was ok, nothing special. That's alright since we were there for the location, not the room. My main complaint stems from what happened after we left the hotel. I accidently left a pair of jeans, (my favorite, of course) and called the hotel looking for them. I called twice, before I spoke with Deidre and she informed me that my jeans were there. I asked if they could be mailed to me and she said she would check with the manager to see how he wanted to handle it. After a couple of days I called back and spoke with Mr. Keller, the manager. I asked him if he could mail my jeans to me and he said he could send them COD. I told him that because of my job, it would be difficult to pick up my jeans at the post office. I asked if I could give him my credit card number and have my jeans mailed to me. He said yes. The next day I got a notice that the jeans had been sent COD. I took off of work and went to the post office and I was told that it would be $19.91 to send a money order to the hotel to cover the cost of shipping $8.96 and a $10.00 "service fee". I am angry about the fact that the hotel is asking for a profit to send me back my jeans. I left them at the post office. I would be very interested to know if anyone else has ever been charged a "serivce fee" to have something mailed back to them. The manager assured me that this was standard procedure in every hotel he's ever worked at.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't believe customer service should end as soon as the customer walks out.

I will not be staying at this hotel ever again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone either.

• Stayed March 2006
13 Thank FloandDon

Travelers are raving about these Bodega Bay hotels

Reviewed February 13, 2006

Unfortunately I did not look here before I stayed at this hotel. There were a lot of problems with the hotel which I would have been willing to overlook had the staff not been so rude. I still thought well that is just an employee so I sent a letter and filled out a comment card. I gave them 3 weeks to respond before I came here to warn others.

First off we were quoted one price and on check in the price was $150 more, which was corrected. The spa did not work the whole time and when I checked out I mentioned this and the response was "well it works now", pretty rude in my book. The TV did not work without lots of static and the phone cord had to be held while making a call.

I love Bodega Bay and wanted to like this place and I would have overlooked the flaws if the management acted like they cared. Now that I read these reviews I see that the management came on here and accused others of making things up, I wish I had read here first.

• Stayed January 2006
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 6, 2005

This place was wonderful...My boyfriend took me here for our 4 year anniversary and I couldn't have been any more pleased...Our room was right next to the huge hot tub which we loved. Also we loved all the perks of staying here like the free champange and if you go to the golf course down the way you get a free bottle of wine just cause you stay here...I will love to come back. This is a very romantic place so make sure you have someone you love with you...

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 9, 2005

We always read "trip advisor" before we book a place. After reading the mixed reviews on this place we decided to WAIT and have a look (even if it meant we'd have to drive elsewhere) before we stayed.
We arrived pretty early (around 11 am) and, to tell the truth, were pleasently surprised. The place looked a little weathered (as MOST coastly properties do) BUT was extremely clean. The person at the front desk (later found out it was Tom, the manager) was very helpful and went out of his way to let us look at the rooms that were available. Again, very surprised! The rooms were very spacious and CLEAN. We picked one that had a "great" view of the bay with vaulted ceilings and VERY, VERY LARGE. We could not have been happier! We decided to stay for three days!
We did take the time to look at the other hotels/motels in the area, and in OUR opinion the "Coast Inn" is BY FAR the best value! A helpful and deliteful staff that went out of thier way to make us feel comfortable!
The breakfast is FAR more than continental! Lana, Tom's wife (and the real boss here, I believe) told us one afternoon that they had expanded it alot in the last year! NO MORE just "donuts and coffee"! I recommend it to ALL!
We have already decided to return. We had a wonderful time and would advise everyone to try this place out!
Thank-you, again, and see you all soon!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 23, 2005

Where to begin....the filthy room? The standing water? The mold? The condomns under the bed? No, this wasn't one room..this was THREE and even at the end of all this the owner REFUSED to refund my money. I was there to spend my birthday and anniversary. It was shocking how rude and nonchalant the owners were. I spoke directly to him and he merely said sorry no refunds. He agreed to a free nights stay but truthfully, i did not ever want to stay there again. There was no apology. One of the most unkind humans I have ever encountered. What's worse? There was no management on sight. A 17 year old behind the counter with no forwarding number to reach management? In short, total nightmare.

• Stayed March 2005
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, General Manager at Bodega Coast Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 30, 2005
I remember this incident. As you can see from OTHER responses this was a "fluke" and NOT a usual occurence. The complaint was about ONE room NOT three, and we did apoligize for our housekeepers oversite, they are a hard working group and sometimes mistakes happen. After talking to the "compainer" numerous times we DID allow her to speak directly to the "owner" of the property, and he went out of his way to try and rectify the situation by offering all that he possibly could including a "free" room upgrade. He didn't offer to refund the money BECAUSE THEY STAYED - THEY DID NOT LEAVE. About the statement of a 17 year old being on the desk with "no way" to contact the management (me) - totally FABRICATED! If I am off site (sight???) I ALWAYS have my cell phone with me and can VERY easily be reached. PLUS, the youngest person we have working for us is 18 and a high school graduate! Mis-information? In any case, we take "PRIDE" in our establishment, and each and every one of our employees are proud of the "job" they do here. Thank you for taking time to read this rebuttal, and hope this helps clarify our position.
Denver, CO
Reviewed May 2, 2005

I agree that this place was "a little tired", but not really in a bad way--it's got that kind of beach community well worn character.

The only really annoying thing was I had a tough time moving my screen door along its track (eg opening and closing it) without quite a bit of effort, making it a challenge to enjoy my balcony (room 35). But, the room was large, comfortable, and reasonably clean. I had a fireplace with a Duraflame log, but they didn't provide matches, and I didn't feel like trying to obtain any, so I couldn't use it.

My view was nice, and I found the place to be pretty quiet which is saying a lot, considering I am very sensitive to noise and have spent many nights trying to get ANY sleep in some hotels.

My room did smell of cleaner or air freshener--some artificial fragrance. It wasn't quite so bad I had to move rooms (after airing it out), but for those of you (like myself) who are sensitive to artificial fragrances and cleaning products, be aware they do use some fragrant product in the rooms.

Keep in mind, the view here is of the bay, so don't expect the wild, open ocean. My view was not the best possible, as I was set back in the corner of the building, but I still thought it was nice.

Continental breakfast was of the typical bagel/cream cheese, muffin, toast, cold cereal variety, BUT with a twist. They also had a Belgian waffle maker out along with individual cups of batter so you could pour the batter into the waffle maker and make your own waffle. I was a little worried about how long the batter had been sitting out (raw eggs, etc), so I passed on that.

• Stayed May 2005
#1 of 3 in Jenner
Bodega Harbor Inn
Bodega Harbor Inn
#2 of 5 in Bodega Bay

Been to Bodega Coast Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!