“Ya gotta go there!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Every once In awhile, I go to Bodega Bay to recharge myself from the combination of ocean air, checking out Ren Brown Gallery, and eating great food. The last time I went, I decided I only wanted a little snack and the Spud Point Crab Shack was recommended to me. I was told of their great crab sandwiches and excellent chowder. Sounded good to me.

As I drove out to the Shack, I realized that I had passed it many times when going out to the ocean point, and each time there were lines of people waiting to order. After I stood in line, got my sandwich and chowder, drove out to the ocean overlook at Bodega Head, and started eating, I totally understood why. This food was fantastic. The sandwich had just enough sauce to kick-up the flavor of the crab, not overwhelm it or mask it. And, the amount of crab was amazing. The chowder was wonderful too; thick enough to know it is chowder without feeling like you are eating wallpaper paste or a couple of tablespoons of flour. Sitting on a wood bench, looking at the mighty Pacific Ocean, eating chowder and a crab sandwich-life can't get much better than this!

Reviewed January 17, 2013

At the suggestion of a conference attendee, we drove out to Beodega Bay and the Crab Company. Had chowder and crab. Relaxed and very casual, eating on picnic tables outdoors. No alcohol unless you BYOB.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had eaten here sometime back and have recomended it often, last night being the latest. They only have outside seating but is worth the effort to dress a little warmer and enjoy it! Nothing better than clam chowder on a refreshing day! It is worth the drive from the valley for the food, sights and sounds.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

This place has the best clam chowder, even won awards for it!! The crabs are very fresh and reasonably priced. Worth visiting for lunch.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Loved eating the delicious chowder out on the picnic tables. We are New Englanders and fussy about our chowders-this was excellent. A nice touch was a musician playing some ballads while we ate.