Review Highlights
Wonderful Ranch,scenic trails, experienced guide...made my day!

Reviewed September 19, 2018
MizCamille
Franklin, Tennessee
Best Ride Ever!

Reviewed July 6, 2018
BadgerDave
Libertyville, Illinois

All reviews great ride well taken care horseback riding state campground rescue horses expert stables riders dunes tent saddle teacher beach blast trail coast campsite
Selected filters
Reviewed September 19, 2018

Being a former trail guide, I would never ride at a ranch that does not take good care of it's horses. I saw Chanslor ranch from the highway and pulled over to take a look at the beautiful horses. They were grazing in a large pasture and they all looked healthy and happy. I called from my hotel and booked a 3PM ride on the Salmon Creek Trail.

My (huge) mare, Grace was anxious to get out and I went with Anyel on Piper. The ranch is very scenic and the trail led down to the creek and up into the headlands with a beautiful view of the ocean as well. Anyel is a skilled rider and fantastic and thoughtful guide. She kept looking back to insure my safety, which was clearly a priority.

Anyel was fun to ride with and extremely knowledgeable about the area, especially the wildlife. She has great stories about the horses and a wonderful personality. I would absolutely ride here again. The horses are well cared for and happy, with healthy feet and teeth. The facility and entire area is well run and beautiful. What a lovely afternoon in the fresh California sunshine! Thanks Anyel!

Date of experience: September 2018
2  Thank MizCamille
Reviewed August 6, 2018

We are car campers and usually stay at state campgrounds, but decided to give this private campground a try, lured by its location on the coast, and the fact that we could get a reservation without booking 6 months in advance. First off, we stayed in the "Vale" tent site for 4 nights in July and it ended up being pretty cold and foggy most of the time, despite an otherwise good weather forecast in the area. Going to bed in cold foggy/windy weather and waking up in the same conditions everyday made me happy to go home at the end of 4 days. Driving 5-10 minutes north, south or inland offered a respite from these conditions, so we enjoyed exploring Bodega Bay itself, and the inland towns of Occidental, Freestone, Duncans Mills, and of course the Russian River itself. The Vale site was suppose to be less windy than the other sites, and this is why we chose it, but when the wind kicked up, it was still plenty windy, even in this "protected" spot. We really didn't enjoy hanging around camp and cooking as much as we usually do. The ranch itself is beautiful and has some lovely views and we did enjoy a hiking around the ranch, seeing the roaming cows, the horses that come through with riders and watching wildlife along the creek, but in the end it wasn't really worth paying extra (2X as much basically!) when compared to a state campground. There was a fire ring and a picnic table but the table was noticeably smaller than a standard picnic table at state camp grounds and the slats on the benches on one side were a bit out of whack so it made sitting on that side uncomfortable. It was hard for us all to sit and eat at the table even for our small group of 4. We had a porta-potty close to our site (and it was well serviced) but I noted that campers in other sites would have considerably farther to get to one than we did. I think a chief complaint I have was that water was only available at the main registration area at the front end of the ranch, so we had to get big water jugs and drive back to fill up there. On the third day when I finally went to take a shower (there are hot showers and flush toilets at the registration area) the bathrooms were not very clean. Chanslor is a good launching off point for day trips in the local area, but given the private ranch pricing, I would expect better facilities in the site, and a higher standard of service and upkeep in common areas. It feels mostly like a horse ranch making majority money on horse rides and glamping, with tent sites as an afterthought. None of this ruined the trip and the staff were very nice, but I would likely not choose to camp here again (perhaps especially in July) with the wind, fog and prices they charge.

Date of experience: July 2018
1  Thank Lwingard
Reviewed July 6, 2018

We were a party of five on the beach ride. It was just us and our wrangler Anyel. Anyel was excellent at making sure everyone was comfortable on their horse and with the entire experience. The ride to the beach by a campsite and through the dunes was interesting. We came across two deer in the dunes. Anyel quickly came up with an alternate route so that the horses didn't have to go too close to the deer. The beach is interesting. There were several large temporary structures built of driftwood but we were virtually the only people on the beach.

Date of experience: July 2018
2  Thank BadgerDave
Reviewed May 14, 2018

Husband bought this for my bday gift since it was on my bucket list of things to do. I loved it! We got there 30 minutes early and since we were the only guests on the ride, they took us early, which was much appreciated. Our guides were great, Charles & Anyl (probably spelled her name wrong! She was so sweet!) were both easy to talk to and knowledgeable ! I'm no expert, but the horses looked to be very healthy and well cared for. I felt very comfortable with the horses. I loved the beach they took us too, we were the only people/animals on it! We weren't rushed or hustled during the entire 2 hours and I appreciated that. Highly recommend Chanslor Stables and looking forward to doing this again!

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed April 10, 2018 via mobile

Sarah (I hope I remember her name correctly young dark hair) was our guide on the beach ride and was great! You check in at the office and then they truck the horses to the dunes where the ride starts (you meet them there) I’m a beginner my hubby has just a touch more experience than me. I thought you got to choose your horses (what do I know) but they assign them to you which was fine. I’m a bigger girl so I had a big horse named Madonna and hubby had ET. My horse definitely had a personality she wanted to keep stopping to eat grass lol but the horses are well trained and guide very helpful. You start in the sand dunes then come out into the mostly deserted beach. Beautiful and fun ride. We got too close to the water and my horse started to run away so I had to use my newly learned skills to stop her lol it was fun and a great experience! I would definitely go back to this company for more riding maybe for one of the different rides! I don’t know how my butt will feel about that though lol!!

Date of experience: April 2018