“Wonderful Birthday and Valentine's Day Trip to Wine Country”

Sonoma Coast Villa Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Bodega B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2011

My husband and I travelled with our good friends to Sonoma Coast Villas from DC for our 50th birthdays and Valentine's week. The Chef/Owner, Johannes, and his wife, Ingrid, were both gracious and accomodating. The food was delicious, the resort and grounds were beautiful, the rooms were very comfortable, and the spa was nice and quiet. Although the weather was not cooperating, Johannes was very informative about the wineries, sites, and all types of attractions. He made all of our reservations for the wineries, oyster farm, and limo rides. Originally, we planned on eating at several restaurants for dinner, but changed our minds when we tasted and experienced Johannes's creations. Every dinner was a 3-course meal with full wine service and the food was delicious. We highly recommend this small resort for its beauty, its remote location (away from commercialization and traffic), its accomodations and the food. It looks and feels like an Italian countryside manor.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dana_DC

Reviewed January 29, 2011

We stayed here before christmas in one of the villas. Cute but way over priced. The food was horrible that was prepared by the nice but not overly warm and friendly inn keeper. Our fish was dried out and the side boring. The salad dressing was good. The breakfast in the morning was rolls...muffins and yogurt boring! The worst was their "spa" it is a rental hall converted into a spa. A random table with a chair is the checkin desk. Then you change into a robe in one of 2 bathrooms. I had to change after I waited for a man to "finish" using the bathroom. It was so gross.

• Stayed: December 2010
4  Thank nannergrl44
oakcreekmanor, General Manager at Sonoma Coast Villa Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2011

Dear nannergrl44,
Thank you for your comments, We are always surprised that we hear comments after 6 weeks stay, If the food would been so horrible, I would brought this to the Management attention on the some day upon check –out. We are sorry about the dissatisfaction. We buy the freshest quality of seafood from our local area on a daily basis. The side dishes were roasted fingerling potatoes, sweet roasted peppers, grilled zucchinis squash and portabella mushrooms,
In terms of Breakfast, we do not serve rolls, or nor muffins,
The breakfast consists of, selection of three cereals, assortment of homemade jams,light and regular yoghourts, poached apples, cottage cheese, hot boiled eggs, fresh berries and fresh sliced fruit, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese, home made croissants, pastries, and bagels, and oven baked frittata with spinach., selection of coffee, tea and juices.

We do have two changing rooms in the spa, we always that hotel guest can change in their guest rooms and use our luxuries robes. This is our first comment to hear that our spa is a rental hall because of the changing rooms.???

Reviewed December 19, 2010

My fiance and I stayed here for a weekend getaway. We really wanted to like this place, but it falls short in several areas:

- The comforter on the bed was lightly stained in a few spots.
- The room heater took a whole night to warm up to a comfortable temperature.
- The bottled water in the room cost $ 4. Considering the price we were already paying to stay in the deluxe villa room, it didn't feel good to pay such a high price for bottled water in the room.
- Breakfast was from 9 - 10 am only, a narrow time slot that was inconvenient.
- Breakfast had no hot foods, only cold fruits and pastries/breads. It would have been nice if there were hot items as well. Also, considering everything was cold, I wonder why the inn couldn't serve breakfast for longer than just 1 hour.
- We had a deluxe villa room, which was spacious and comfortable. But we passed by regular rooms that looked more beautiful than our deluxe room. We wished we had gone with a regular room instead of paying more for a deluxe villa that really didn't seem as nice.
- The inn was in the middle of nowhere. There are better places to stay elsewhere in the area, in towns or by the water.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank shinywings
oakcreekmanor, Front Office Manager at Sonoma Coast Villa Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2011

Thank you for your comments. We are always happy to hear from our customers. We do offer special imported waters in the minibar, which are larger bottles for example: Evian or Perrier water, We also offer local waters in the mini bar for less. The breakfast is served in our dining room from 9:00 am to 10:00 am daily. We do offer room service for guests would like to Breakfast earlier or later in the morning. We are surprised to hear about the Villa rooms, which are beautiful designed with radiant floor heating, fireplace jetted tubs and private courtyard with fountain.
Thank you for your comments and hope to welcoming you very soon.

Reviewed July 6, 2010

Sonoma Coast is a place that is a little hidden from the road, so you may pass it without even knowing it is there. You will definitely not be disappointed in this place. The grounds are absolutely fabulous. The food, service and atmosphere was nothing but the best. I traveled with my college roommate and two daughters and all of us could not say enough about Sonoma Coast. Johannas (owner) couldnot have been more attentive to everything we asked for. The horseback riding was spectacular. I was so impressed with everything about the place that my husband and I are going to go there in October. I really wanted him to see how beautiful this place is. You will not be disappointed in your stay!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed July 1, 2010

Just a note to pass on a great weekend get-a-way that my wife and I discovered this month. The place is about 1 hour 20 minutes north of the Golden Gate, 5 miles south of the golf course at Bodega Bay on Highway 1. This Mediterranean-style Villa has only 18 rooms/suites but it is relatively inexpensive compared to some of the other venues around (Sonoma coast) Bodega Bay and Healdsburg. The Austrian owner, Johannes, trained as a chef in Switzerland and provides gourmet meals delivered to your room (very cool). The place is away from the ocean a bit, but it puts you in striking distance of the over 150 wineries along the Russian River and around Healdsburg. The grounds are nicely kept and the rooms immaculate. Though they do weddings and events/retreats, when we were there the place was calm, secluded, and awesome if you like quiet. Per the spa - wife loved it. One more thing, there is a very cool pond with Adirondack Chairs in the back next to the horse back riding stables. Very bucolic. Have fun.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2010

My husband and I, along with our best friends, arrived at this hidden gem and wondered what to expect. A little off the beaten path and much more than a bed and breakfast, yet more intimate than a large spa. SCV&A is a personal experience that we found ourselves talking about for the rest of our trip! Wish we would have stayed a bit longer! Johannes' service was impeccable and European -- in a good way! He had the right balance between friendly service with a personal touch and yet we never felt like he was intruding. We had space to relax and enjoy our beautiful surroundings which were obviously tended to with love.
Personally, I wish we would have splurged on an upgraded room - hindsight is 20/20 - however the smaller rooms we rented were well appointed, decorated, and clean. The bathtub looked like you could take a bubble bath in it if that is your thing! We opted for the golf package which only one of us used and requested a horseback ride for the other which was gladly substituted. Both activities were wonderful experiences. Tracey at the stables loves her horses as much as Johannes loves his Inn.
The food -- to die for! Johannes is a trained chef that prepares a meal like he is courting a woman. We opted for dinner and also enjoyed the complimentary breakfast. Don't skip the food! Order drinks and eat the cookies!! And PS -- tell only your dearest friends about this place - the ones that will appreciate the finer things in life without being pretentious!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2010

My boyfriend and I wanted to go somewhere new to celebrate our anniversary and my birthday. We had not spent much time in Sonoma County, but have traveled on getaway weekends all over California. We happened to see Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa through the trees while driving north on the Bohemian Hwy to Bodega Bay for my birthday lunch.
Although we had reservations for Friday night, we decided to keep the rest of our long weekend open. We stopped in, met Johannes, the owner and he graciously showed us three different villas. I couldn't believe it!! We were both totally impressed and couldn't wait to stay there! We LOVED the quaint, quite, peaceful tranquility that it offered! And, we couldn't wait to enjoy one of the nice bottles of Pinot Noir we had just purchased at the nearby winery in front of our inviting fireplace. It was a beautiful night so we also enjoyed the patio area that looked onto the pool outside our room. In doing so, we had an opportunity to chat with Johannes and get to know him. Johannes is a complete professional and has an intense attention to detail. He personally made it his goal to guarantee that every aspect of our stay was beyond our expectations.....and he achieved that goal!! So much so, that we decided to return two weeks later!!! This time, we decided to experience the dining and the spa. Johannes is a professionally trained chef, and therefore prepared our meals. I had the halibut and my boyfriend had the steak! The presenation was inpeccable and the flavor was out of this world!!! The roasted vegetables were deliciious and what we really enjoyed was the temperature of the food!! The plates were served hot to the touch and truly the food melted in your mouth!!!
The next day we decided to try out the Spa. We both had the 100 minute Full Body Massage by Carl and without a doubt, hands down the best massage I have ever had in my entire life!!! My boyfriend does not treat himself to massages as much as I do, so this was an "out of body experience" for him!! We both would request Carl again when we return.
I did a lot of research prior to our trip and quite frankly...could not have dreamed this place in my mind. If you are looking for a quiet, peaceful and relaxing experience, at a reasonable price...THIS IS THE PLACE!!! In fact...if my boyfriend and I ever decide to "tie the knot"...this is EXACTLY where we would have our wedding and our reception!!!!
Personally, for the price....I loved it just as much as Ventanna in Big Sur!!! Obviously, on a whole different scale...but also on a whole different price point!
One more thing....since there are only 18 villas....we think it would be an awesome place for a girls weekend, guys golf weekend, or even a small family reunion.....you could literally have the place to yourself!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GingerSanMateo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodega
Bodega Bay Lodge
#1 of 1 in Occidental
Bodega Harbor Inn
Bodega Harbor Inn
#2 of 5 in Bodega Bay

Been to Sonoma Coast Villa Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!