“Pros and Cons to this hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Bodega B&B and Inns
Corona
“Pros and Cons to this hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

I received a travelzoo deal on the Sonoma Coast Villa and Spa, and was eager to use it immediately. The website looked charming, and it seemed like a great stay for my boyfriend and myself. I would have to stay that I was a bit disappointed with my stay, but do not get me wrong-the area was absolutely beautiful.

PROS:
Located a few miles from the beach
Wood burning fire place for a romantic night in
Quiet enviornment where you can relax and enjoy your stay

CONS:
Breakfast buffet--basically an upscale motel 6 buffet. I was very dissipointed by the buffet.

Smell-The inside office that we had to walk through daily smelled like an old lady; however, our bedrooms were fine. Just coming into the hotel to get to our room I would plug my nose.
Bed-was pretty hard

The water was turned off in the middle of the night. I was unable to use it to take a shower, brush my teeth or even flush the toilet #ewww. The owner proceeded to tell me, "things happen." Did not want to give me back any of my money on my $250 a night room. The only thing he reimbursed me for was my resort fee. Really?

Would I stay there again-no. However, for the right deal, it is a pretty stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kristin H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2011

My husband and spent one night here with a bloomspot gift certificate. It was a nice getaway from San Francisco. The grounds are very relaxing and the rooms are nice. We did a massage which was nice but I do not think it was worth the money. I would have rather lounged and participated in the wine tasting. We ordered dinner from the restaurant which they served in our room. At first I thought that would be a little weird but it was nice and the food was excellent!! They offer horse back riding on the beach, but we did not partake because of cost and wind but I bet it is probably really nice. Breakfast was good- better than I thought after reading the reviews and we had a blast playing some of the trivia games they had in the sun room.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank banananut
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

The grounds are lovely and the room was adequate, with nice comfortable beds and a stocked wood-burning fireplace, also convertible to gas. The shower was large with lots of hot water, but the sink water was not drinkable (?!) and the temperature control system did not work; the room never warmed above 60 -- very cold on a chilly night in mid-November 2011. The friendly young fellow who checked us in and showed us to our room did not know much about the room features (how to light the gas fireplace pilot, for instance). The owner Johannes and his wife did not put any focus on guest services and did not smile, thank us for coming, invite us to return, ask how we enjoyed our stay -- he was completely focused on how much I owed. He is the chef and she was seen doing housekeeping and between the two of them they handle all jobs, but the major focus -- hospitality -- is completely missing. The breakfast buffet was better than expected (granola, two hot quiches, pastries, fresh fruit) and we heard good comments about the expensive multi-course dinners available in the restaurant, but we chose to go to the excellent, more reasonably priced waterside restaurant at Inn at the Tides and enjoyed crab cakes and fish stew and a gorgeous sunset.

Overall, we felt this property has tremendous potential but needs updating and an influx of cash to turn it into something like the Kenwood Inn, a comfortable mix of casual and lush. The elements are all here, but the owners need to put more of an emphasis on friendliness, helpfulness and hospitality. Guests are their livelihood, not a bother.

This inn was in a great location and has so much unrealized potential -- but we would probably not choose to return.

Room Tip: Make sure the heating system in your room works!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Barbara S
Corona, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

The SC Villa is a beautiful property 5 miles from the ocean. I could imagine that in it's day this would be a great hideaway from any busy lifestyle. This is what we expected by the reviews we found online. What we found was a property that could use some TLC & updating, a unfriendly environment and ammenities that didn't match the images online. Maybe the owner, Johanns, isn't by nature a very talkative person, but he should try to make his guests feel welcomed. We were there three nights and the only time he spoke to us was when we checked in, at breakfast when he asked what kind of juice we wanted and "thank you" when we left. Never asked how our day was or if there was anything that would make our stay better. The unfriendly atmosphere created by the staff seemed to spill over among the guests. One of the best features of staying at a smaller inn is that the owners are more intimate and make the guests feel so comfortable. Otherwise, the grounds are clean and the rooms are spacious. The fireplace was nice and helped "warm" the atmosphere. We didn't get any description of the property and we weren't sure what areas were open to the public or off limits so we just stayed on the path to our room and the dining room. Would have enjoyed the stables if we were told about them. Breakfast was plentiful but don't expect "gourmet". My suggestion is to serve fewer but better quality items. Maybe serve a different breakfast dish each day for variety. Table service is always a must in such a small setting. I hope to see improved reviews during the upcoming year so when we return to the area next year we would consider giving it another try.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

I just left the inn this morning and I have to say that I am simply speechless. We were quoted a rate of $175 for Thursday and $225 for Friday-Sunday night. We had the first night charged to our room up front ($175+tax). When we checked in, the owner showed us the rate for the remaining nights to be $225. Upon check out, he changed the overall rate to $260 per night! With alot arguing and name calling on his part, I finally got him to refund the difference back to my card. Also,another matter, which I did not address, is he charged us $70 for a $55 bottle of wine...the additional $15 being a "cork" fee! The property is beautiful but I WOULD NOT recommend this establishment to anyone. Such a shame.

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank Debbiepez
Santa Cruz, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in September 2011.

Coming up the driveway, we were greeted with lovely gardens and huge sunflowers. Our room was lovely - a large room with slate tile floors, king size bed, living room area, fireplace, flat-screen TV, refrigerator, fresh ground coffee and coffee maker. Our room was one of about 6 that are located next to the small pool.
The fireplace in the room is a nice touch - the staff cleans out the ashes daily, and sets it up so it lights up fast and easy with a single match.

The innkeeper, Johanns (not sure if I'm spelling his name correctly), is not a man of many words. We weren't sure what to make of this initially, but after a short time came to realize that he is a very pleasant person, just not always very chatty. As it turns out, Johanns is also a very busy person as it appears that he also prepares the buffet breakfasts, hosts wine tasting hour in the afternoon, and prepares the dinners.

Speaking of meals, both nights we stayed we ate in the dining room at the inn. Each day, there is a menu for a 3-course meal with a choice of about 8 or 9 different entrees. You call at least an hour before you would like to eat dinner to order your meal. It can be served in the dining room or your villa. Each course was outstanding - the freshest salad, piping hot entree with fresh vegetables, and a delectable desert. Bravo! It was really great at the end of a long day to just walk steps to the dining room for a great meal, rather than drive around to find a restaurant.

The breakfast buffet was also fantastic. There was an assortment of pastries, beautiful fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal and a hot entree (the days we were there it was quiche or fritatta).

By the way, we had a Groupon - no one there ever gave us any issues with this (maybe they learned from another person who posted a review). We will look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sweetflowers
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

I was uncertain of the Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa due to past reviews. However, we were pleasantly surprised as began our stay. The owner is a very stoic man, but by no means should it be intrepreted as rude or not caring. His wife is very friendly. They both were attentive to our needs from helping us get our bags brought to our most beautiful rooms to getting us clubs and balls for the putting green. We hike around the property and saw nearby cattle with new born calves. Two very friendly kitties were near the stables where we met a very friendly woman who takes folks out on horses. We did not go, but next time I would, she does horse rescue and was brushing down one of they very good looking healthy horses. It was a treat walking around the property.

Our breakfast was very good with quiche, fresh fruit, yogurt, cheeses, meats and more. The owner brought us a variety of juice and the coffee was good. We did not have supper, but I heard from other guest that is was excellent. It was our first time to Bodega Bay and it won't be the last! The Spa was great and there is a beautiful pool. Everything is very neat and clean.

Room Tip: We were further away from the pool and had a lot of privacy although most of the rooms looked wonder...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodega
Bodega Bay Lodge
#2 of 3 in Jenner
The Continental Inn
The Continental Inn
#1 of 1 in Tomales

Been to Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa? Share your experiences!