“Convenient to get a quick meal”

Courtesy Coffee Shop
Ranked #2 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Blythe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Southern California
“Convenient to get a quick meal”
Reviewed October 25, 2008

OK, I had read all the awful reviews but my husband and I were exhausted after driving and touring all day through Arizona and wanted something close to the Hampton Inn. We started to walk to Carls Jr. but said, "How bad can it be?"

We went into the Courtesy full of bad expectations and were pleasantly surprised. The waitress practically followed us to our table with two glasses of nice cold water and menus. She left us alone for no more than one minute and came back to take our drink order. We had our drinks moments later.

Then she waited until we had put down the menus and looked ready to order and she was there quicker than I could say, "Let's order." I ordered the Grilled Chicken Salad with their homemade blue cheese dressing and my husband got a grilled ham and cheese. His reasoning was "How can they screw up a ham and cheese?"

My salad was darn good although I probably could have done without the cheese over the top. It had a handful of olives, a mess of pickles, sliced beets, freshly-grilled and diced chicken, lots of fresh lettuce and a sliced hard-boiled egg. The dressing had chunks of blue cheese in it and was tasty. Our waitress saw that I had downed my first glass of water and immediately replaced it with a larger glass of equally cold and delicious water. She sensed that I was thirsty. My husband's sandwich was a bit overdone and a tad greasy but had plenty of ham and cheese all well melted. His Pepsi was never empty.

We didn't venture into the bathrooms so I can't comment there but the tables were spotless as was the counter and the decor, although definitely older, 50's style diner was familiar and comfortable. There was a back section that was a "Dining Room" which appeared dark and probably had a bar in it where we did not venture. Their special for the night was Prime Rib and the table behind us was enjoying their food as well.

Go in with low expectations and you might be as surprised as we were. I can't say Above Average but Average was about right. However, we don't mind 50's kitsch so if you're looking for a modern, upscale restaurant, just don't look in Blythe. I have heard that the Sunset Grille is good though we didn't feel like getting back in the car to go there.

1 Thank Karin1234

Porterville, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never again!”
Reviewed April 20, 2008

It was like going back in time! The people, both staff and other customers, were strange. The food was only okay and was way too expensive!

1 Thank longredhair
Oregon
“Not eating at all is a better option.”
Reviewed January 20, 2007

Awful. My omelete was covered with orange plastic cheese and the toilets were filthy. Avoid.

1 Thank The_RV_Goddess
Falisolle, Belgium
“Try somewhere else”
Reviewed November 23, 2006

We have had lunch at Courtesy Coffee Shop, on a long drive between Phoenix and Palm Springs.
We had chosen this one, based on some positive reviews found in the web.
Bad luck for us.
This small restaurant was just OK to get something quick to eat before contuining our trip.
Waitress was not very friendly. Some patrons were a little bit strange.
Food has nothing special, and is not so cheap for what it is.
We would have better gone to Denny's, Taco Bell or Jack in The Box.
And that's what I advise for travellers.

3 Thank Jean-Luc44