“Cosy dining”

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Circa is a long narrow restaurant (that used to be Diva) which gives it lots of atmosphere. The new decor is moody which gives it a more intimate atmosphere. Great place for couples of foursome. Food great, hand made pasta gives it an authentic flavour.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

We went to Circa mid week for a celebratory dinner and found it disappointing. We use to love Diva Restaurant that was in this location and were looking forward to eating in the renovated Circa but we found the food was not the quality you expect at these prices.

This is what we ordered and what we thought of the dishes, the main meal servings are small :

Tiger Prawns entrée $19.00 - 7 prawns arrived on the plate with a mixture of lettuce and a dipping sauce. The prawns were overcooked, dry and a little chewy. They were salted a little too much, better to salt less and allow the customer to add more salt if that is their taste.

Duck parfait with pear and apple relish $18.00 - This was a generous serving for an entrée but the relish was dry and hard to spread. I felt that the relish was too strong for the duck parfait. The parfait was served like a pate.

Beetroot ravioli $26.00 - I found the ravioli pasta a little chewy and the flavours quite mild.

Ricotta Gnocchi $24.00 - The gnocchi was cooked well and the sauces quite nice, the best dish of the night but not to die for.

Chocolate Mousse dessert $14.00- This was not what I expected. It arrived made like a sandwich with the mouse between 2 cake type biscuits and a scoop of chocolate ice-cream on the side. The mousse was not light and fluffy it was a thick heavier texture. We shared this dish which was very rich, I couldn't eat the whole dish on my own when it was so rich.

With 2 beers $8.00 each and 1 glass of red wine $9.00 the total bill was $126.00 for the 2 of us.

The service was good but we felt we were being pushed along a little being asked straight after each dish if we were ready for our next dish.

The restaurant was not at all busy so dishes came out quickly, a good thing if you wanted to eat and run to the Astor Theatre.

The food presentation was very good but unfortunately for us quality did not match.

The menu is not huge and can be found on various websites. This restaurant does not have its own website.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

It's difficult to find food in Perth that is value for money but it's possible at Circa. Four of us had 3-course meals and everyone was very happy with entree and main. The dessert was disappointing - chocolate mousse that was more like a fudge, way too rich. The decor and atmosphere was great only the music was way too loud, turned up over the conversation. If the dessert and music was not a problem this would have got 100% rating from me.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I went to Circa on a recommendation from a friend. We were greeted and seated quickly, and were impressed by the decor which is dark and elegant. We began with the duck parfait which is served with bread and a kind of fruit relish. It was very tasty, although the bread was slightly over toasted. My friend ordered the spaghetti, with crab. I had the duck breast. The duck breast was served in a most interesting way-there was a carrot mash with some blood orange juice mixed in, and a piece of chicory (like endives). The duck itself was quite rare and nicely seared. I did find it a little chewy, but on the whole it was quite good.

For desert, I enjoyed the deep-fried custard which is served with a blood orange ice cream. It is a very innovative desert and one I would happily have again. My friend had a fruit crumble, and they were very accommodating in serving it with ice cream at no extra charge.

The service was always attentive and polite. I would happily return.

1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My friends and I went to this restaurant a couple of weeks ago after it was recommended to us by another friend. The food was delicious! Had gnocchi, mac & cheese, squid and polenta chips. They also have a huge selection of wine and the service and atmosphere was great. The serves were a little small, but plenty if you get a few things and share. Will definitely be going again, maybe next time I'll get to try the arancini!