“Making the best of what we got...”

Vagabond Inn Bishop
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Bishop
Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

Having planed for a year a 12 day trip with my 87 yr old dad who wanted to ride a train from Carson City to Virginia City. We rented a travel trailer from a local co. in Tucson, AZ. Close to the end of our 2nd day out, the trailer broke an axel and from then on out we were left with staying at hotels as we tried to "make the best of what we got...."
This is the first hotel we stayed at. Being labor day weekend the town was pretty much booked and there were few rooms left.
Positives: there was a grilling area at the pool and we were able to grill some of the food we had brought for camping. The room was a nice size. I didn't see any bugs! The room didn't smell funky!
(I'm tying to find some good here... Zeesh) The breakfast was okay.. The coffee was good.
Negatives: There was a huge stain on the ceiling from what looked like water leaking in the upstairs bathroom. It covered the bathroom area out to the beds. The beds were very soft and I had a hard time sleeping as did my father.
If I had a choice... I would rather not stay here again. Especially at the price we paid.
The sad thing is as I write these reviews this motel did not end up being the worst of the ones we stayed at.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed September 7, 2012

The inn was fine for staying the night while traveling. The room was average in size and had some wear and tear. Though the carpet looked relatively new, it had a number of dark stains on it. The bed had hard pillows and was missing any kind of cover on the bottom mattress, which gave the bed a cheap, unfinished look (assume that was only temporary). Breakfast was basic continental. Easy walk to various restaurants, which was convenient. We enjoyed dinner at the Upper Crust Pizza, half a block away. The place was fine for convenience and a quiet night's sleep.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is a nice stop if you are on your way to Mammoth or other Sierra locations. The rooms are very modest, but very clean. Perfect spot to regroup and start next day's journey. They have a basic morning breakfast--also there is a Denny's restaurant adjacent to the hotel. The free wi-fi in the rooms was a nice extra perk.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mark9585
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at the Bishop Vagabond Inn after a long drive through the Death Valley, before continuing our road trip through the Yosemite National Park. The hotel was very nice, overall the standard was a little bit higher than the other budget hotels on our trip, but the price was also a bit higher. The room wasn't perfectly new, but it was clean and well cared-for. We arrived very late at midnight, but the room was waiting for us, and the receptionist was very nice. There's a Denny's restaurant just next to the hotel, and guests get a discount (yet, the restaurant was just mediocre). The breakfast was better than expected. There's also an enjoyable swimming pool next to the parking lot area.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobertTravel
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I literally walked into a room here and walked out. Where to begin? Old school, little rabbit eared tv and rusted, barely working airconditioner wall unit chugging loudly and ineffectively away. Dingy furniture, nasty smell, NO bedspread or comforter on bed (why, I ask is that)? A rather suspicious stain on the carpet. Sign next to room says that there are cancer causing agents on premise-that's conducive to a great night's sleep for me!
So, I went to the front desk and informed the woman behind the desk that the room was unacceptable and that we wouldn't be staying. She said that since it was after 3pm (it was almost 4pm) I was not going to get a refund for the room. The whole time she's hammering me about "what's wrong with the room"? I was trying to be polite as there were other guests in the lobby, but she kept at me with "what's wrong with the room"? I said, "I'm sorry if this causes a problem for you". This charmer actually said to me "No, you're not". That's when I decided I would list the room's faults for everyone in the lobby to hear. And then I left for the Whiskey Creek Inn down the road. I'm very glad I did! it was clean, nicer pool and jacuzzi and the staff was helpful and civil. I had to pay 79 bucks NOT to stay at the Vagabond. It was worth it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank breathleslie
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Was there for one night. This place was not new, but you can tell the owner is taking good care of this motel. Clean enough. Very friendly atmosphere. The front desk lady is nice and friendly. The pool is big enough to enjoy. Free coffee, soft drink, popcorns and etc. anytime. Free wi-fi, 10% discount for Denny's right next door. Vons right behind the motel. I'd definitely stay again if I go to Bishop.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sleeper24hr
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We really enjoyed our short stay here. Very friendly welcome, comfortable, well-equipped room, good, central location just off the main road. The breakfast was decent, but VERY busy when we went down (around 8.45-9am, I think) - we had to stand for a while until we eventually got some seats. The receptionist told me it had been quiet earlier, but there's often a rush at around that time. Free popcorn.
Pool area pleasant, quiet, well-kept.
No problem parking.
The only small problem was that we also (as others have noted) had some ants in the room. No big deal for me, and I appreciate that it must be a difficult problem to deal with, but it would be better if they were not there...
All in all, despite thos two problems, pretty happy with our stay here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family