“Poorly maintained, at least our room”

Red Roof Inn Bishop
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Bishop
Reviewed October 20, 2013

While I did not expect a high-end experience at a budget motel, attention to basic maintenance would greatly enhance customer satisfaction. There were no guards on either sink or shower drains, it was a straight-shot down. The shower head was not adjustable, and so low-flow there was inadequate pressure for washing/rinsing below chest level; even had hecka trouble rinsing out shampoo! The light fixture on wall between beds did not work - at all. It was plugged in, I also tried switching bulbs with a working light, that wasn't the problem. The remaining lights shone directly into the face of sleepers. My traveling companion retires early, so I had to use the very cramped toilet/shower room in order to read & journal - not comfortable at all!

The room had a mini fridge, microwave and coffeemaker. There is a carb-heavy continental (no protein) breakfast offered. The apple juice was awful, had to pour it out. Also a pc in lobby for guest use, but slow connection.

Our room 142 was non-smoking, with no odor of smoke :)

Will very likely visit Bishop again, but definitely not this motel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I dont think anyone would be planning an extended stay in Bishop, probably just a night. In that case, my room was suitable, appeared clean enough. Thats about all I can say about the room. The breakfast was ok. They had a coffee maker in the room..I actually liked Bishop. They had quite a few dining options. All in all, no problem with my stay here.

Room Tip: no elevator, so prearrange a downstairs room if stairs are a problem.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The hotel itself is dated but that's no real problem, it is also one of the cheapest around. Rooms are clean, swimmingpool is OK and service is very friendly. So good enough for passing through... On the room a fridge, microwave and coffemachine. Bathroom is tidy and clean. What else can we expect from a medium hotelroom for a low price?!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I reserved this hotel online the same afternoon, and when I arrived I had evidently chosen the next day by mistake (still don't understand how that happened). Anyway, they said we have no rooms, and you are booked for tomorrow. I asked them to cancel my reservation and could I use their internet to look for something else. Then they said "oh, we do have a room that could be ready in 20 minutes, but it will be 20-30 dollars more because it has two beds". I looked online, couldn't find anything, and told them ok (this took about 5 minutes). Magically, our new room was ready. So, you judge for yourself. A little bit dodgy in my opinion.
Part 2: For the price we paid, you would expect much better. I would have paid at most $40 dollars to stay here. Skip the breakfast at any price. Also was woken up at 6am by people tramping around upstairs.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay in the Bishop area, you better book ahead and avoid getting shafted by plac...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I would not recommend staying at this hotel! The carpet was so dirty that we had to wear something on our feet or they would turn black. The walls had stuff splattered on them. Tub would not drain. The breakfast was suppose to be served at 6:00 but was served 20 minutes past the posted time. The person at the front desk did not care that he was late. I would not keep your luggage unlocked in your room when you are out and the maids haven't been in to clean yet or you might have things missing.
I will never stay there again. Sometime you get what you pay for!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This hotel was horrible. The rooms were clean enough, although very old and dated. The beds and pillows were very uncomfortable. Breakfast was pretty basic. Not many options and the staff didn't bother refilling anything than ran out like coffee and orange juice. Those things I can forgive because it is a Rodeway Inn after all. You get what you pay for. Service was not good. They staff doesn't seem to care at all about their guests. I overheard another guest ask the front desk clerk a question and they got "I don't know" as answer. No "let me find out" or anything remotely helpful, just "I don't know'. I was not impressed with that. But I have to say the absolute worst thing about this hotel is the pool. We have two young children and this was our first stop on our cross country move. Our kids were looking forward to the pool. We got them all suited up and walked out to find a dirty, disgusting pool. It obviously was not cleaned in days, if not weeks. There was a bowl floating in the pool along with a bunch of dirt and debris. The tables were dirty and had cupcake wrappers literally stuck to the table. There were also beer bottles laying on the ground. Absolutely unacceptable. Do yourself a favor and stay some place else!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My wife & I differ on this hotel. I thought it was fine for an old hotel. It had newer (albeit ugly) carpet. The walls had a fresh coat of paint. The beds were old but firm. Our room had a small microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, and a refrigerator that was bigger than I've seen in high end hotels.

I thought it was ok.

The shower / toilet room had maintenance issues in that the bulb was burned out & the toilet handle stuck down. The fixtures were old but did their jobs. There was no clock/radio.

Our door was steel & we didn't see any bugs (I looked under the mattress) or experience their bites.

To sum it up: Picture staying at your grandparent's house built in the 50's.

• Stayed: December 2012