“We left after 1 hour”

Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Bishop
sd
“We left after 1 hour”
Reviewed August 27, 2009

We stopped in Bishop unplanned and did not know where to stay we picked this place because it had a pool (stinky and cold), was off the main street (true) and we thought it would be inexpensive ($90 +tax) . When we first entered the room it smelled strongly of cleaning solution. Somewhat fresh . . just thought it needed to air out a little (we thought.) We took the kids directly to the little pool which was very cold and overly chemical smelling. When we returned to the room we noticed the cleaner type smell was gone and instead there was the underlying set of urine. We each noticed this independently, so I went to talk to the manager and was offered a second room. The next room I went to check out and it has the same strong cleaning solution sent as the first and I was worried that in a little while it would smell as bad as the first. So we asked for a refund less $10, for the use of the stinky cold pool. At first they we very unwilling since we had already used the bathroom, then she offed a refund less $30. If it were not that it was a busy summer evening and there were prospective guests trying to check in I do not think they would have refunded anything. The owner yelled at me that we stayed two hours, but I checked my receipts and it was only 1 hr from payment to refund. All in all I think we paid $30 for the about 20 minutes we were actually IN the room and we were very happy to leave! The Holiday Inn Express down the street is great!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank thanksforallthefish
abvibishopca, Webmaster at Americas Best Value Inn Bishop, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Esteemed Guest,

Thank you for choosing the ABVI during your recent visit to our area.

We also appreciate your review and observations.

Based on your review, the following steps have been taken and we shall see that all our guests get the best hospitality and services at the Ramada.

a) Hotel upkeep staffs have trained to confirm that all amenities are perfect and functional.

b) Necessary steps have been taken to maintain the pool in a perfect condition.

c) Housekeeping staff received additional training in properly check and confirm the cleanliness of the rooms and amenities before inviting the new occupants.

The next time you visit our area, please choose to stay at our hotel again and enjoy a new experience of hospitality. We are sure you shall appreciate the change.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 11, 2009

On the way back from visiting Grandma, we camped every night but one. That night, we stayed at Americas Best Value Inn in Bishop.

We itched like crazy all night. It was so bad, we got up and checked the sheets. Lo and behold, little brown bugs were skeedatling. I caught one and put it in a cup of water.

We took it down to the office in the morning, covered in bites, and the lady (a new mother) was kind. At first she said she would only give us half a nights refund. I went down instead of my wife and let them know just how I felt and that I was going to stay in town until the Health Department inspected this in person - and I got a full refund.

The bed was on a very rough and beat up piece of wood - it looked like barn wood. A bajillion places for bedbuggers to hide.

We spent all the next morning washing everything we had. Nevertheless, we took them home. It has since cost us at least $9,000, by my estimate, to get rid of them.

Americas Best Value. $70 and save a few bucks, or get bedbugs and get your $70 back but pay an extra $9000?

It isn't worth my time to sue them, but if it were I would.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the ABVI for your visit to Bishop.

We are sorry that it wasn’t the pleasant experience as you expected.

Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated.

Upon receipt of your review, the cleaning and maintenance staff has been instructed to check the amenities and hygiene level and to ensure that they are in the best condition.

We have also taken pest control measures to the entire property.

We take our reviews very seriously and hope to see you again.

Hotel Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Bishop hotels

Brea, CA
Reviewed September 22, 2008

Get your rate in writing!! I called the property directly and was quoted a price, made the reservation based on that price and when we arrived Mr. "Best Value Inn" increased the price by $12.95 per night. He would not honor the price he quoted me on the phone and kept saying "Swear to God" "Swear to God" this is the price. Unfortunately, we paid the higher rate because our alternative was to go find another hotel late on a Friday night - not too appealing...

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank QuadTraveler
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at the ABVI, Bishop CA.

We have noted your review and observations.

We have investigated the issue related to the higher charge and sorted it out.

We have ensured that such confusion is never caused again.

We would be glad to have you as our guest again.

Red Bluff
Reviewed January 26, 2008

I was traveling to Bishop for a family funeral and I got stuck in a bad storm and could not get there. I called Americas Best "worst" Hotel in Bishop the morning I was to be there. Told them I was stuck in a snow strom and asked for a refund for that night or even give my room to my relative who was staying there to. They DID nothing for me...DID NOT care and would even give my room that I paid for to my family.

Please.... give me back MY money or at least a credit of some kind. You need to care about your customers...things happen and IT WASNT my fault I was stuck in this storm. Bill Hepburn

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Did not care...NO help.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelerRedBluff

Thanks for the review.

Please note that we have investigated the issue already and the needful has been done.

We understand our guests and what they look for.

Visit us again and check our hospitality.

Ventura, California
Reviewed January 22, 2008

When we finally found the place, we were very worried...it is down a scary looking street, so we had a hard time finding it and the worn down exterior appearance had me prepared for the worst. I was proven wrong. Where as the property is older, the room had been renovated and was very clean. The manager was extremely accomodating and there was even in-room coffee--awful coffee---but in room coffee. But at the price you can't beat it. The cheapest by far in Bishop and beats the heck out of some of the other motels in Bishop....it was a pleasant surprise.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable room
  • Disliked — The location is awful
  • Stayed January 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tGypsyMomma
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 30, 2007

Among similar franchise motels, the Bishop America's Best Value stood out as worse. The heater didn't work well (we were cold), the room was not very clean, and the hot water was intermittent. The folks running the place seemed like they were trying, but for the price ($110 for one night on a holiday weekend), they might have done a bit better.

Stayed December 2007
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at the ABVI Bishop, during your last stay.

We have referred your review and appreciate your observations.

We shall take it wholeheartedly for improvement.

We have carefully checked the points like cleanliness and the amenities.

Please note that we have checked and improved upon all the observations and you can be assured of a better stay next time.

Please do visit us and we shall be more than happy to serve you.

San Diego, CA
Reviewed February 27, 2007

We needed an inexpensive stop-over motel room to stay in on our way to Mammoth, and needed two rooms to accomodate our teenagers. For the price, it was very comfortable. We got two queen beds. Our room appeared to have been "remodeled" with low quality granite and ceramic tile in bathroom, but hey, it isn't the Hyatt. (It also initially stunk of strong pinesol.) The heater worked nicely and the bedsheets were clean - mattress was a bit firm. The room had a small fridge and microwave also. If you need just a quick stopover that is substantially lower in price than some other motel rooms in the area, this place is for you.
Of note - the pool area was basically a trashy discard area for old remodel items - matresses, junk yard stuff. We didn't mind although it was rather of an eye sore! Not sure if they clean this up by summer months or not.

Stayed February 2007