“This inn actually makes Bishop an attractive vacation destination -- who would have dreamed it?”
Review of Joseph House Inn

and 1 more site!
Joseph House Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Bishop B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 15, 2009

My family has been driving north and south on highway 395 for fifty years. Over the decades, we've stayed at every motel along the route. This year, based on the recommendations I read here, I decided to stop at the Joseph House while driving my very elderly parents from the desert to there summer residence. What a suprise!!! This place is wonderful. It is, I am sure, the most immaculate hotel in the U.S. (Miriam is Swiss. It shows.) The rooms are delightful and incredibly comfortable. Miriam is a dream. When I realized there was no heat at night, I became very concerned for my parents. Miriam brought them four extra blankets. Miriam even called the (excellent) local Japanese restaurant and made sure they seated us at a quiet table and offered to make my folks anything in the world they wanted. The breakfast was divine, though my folks probably could have done without the communal dining table. (I, on the other hand, loved it. I always do.) After breakfast, we sat near the pond in the stunning gardens for an hour and enjoyed the sun and the ducks. It was perfect.

At breakfast, two of the couples told me they had come to Bishop for an entire week of hiking and enjoying the Joseph House. My sister was incredulous when I told her (I mean, Bishop?), but the Inn makes Bishop a destination.

It was all an absolute delight. I will go back (alone) and enjoy the Inn for a few nights.

And if any of you reading this were the people my mom woke up when she knocked on your door at 4:00 am because she couldn't remember my room number, I'm really sorry about that.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Tsippi

Reviewed April 17, 2009

The Joseph House Inn (bed & breakfast lodging), was beautiful inside and out. Every window captured a pleasing view. The breakfast was colorful and marvelous as were the afternoon appetizers and beverages offered to guests. The hosts were warm, friendly, attentive, interesting, and helpful, which made us feel comfortable with them and the other guests during our stay. We felt like we couldn't wait to return, both to the Inn and the gorgeous area. In fact, we didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FallbrookCaRetired
Reviewed September 18, 2008

What a surprise find! We drove up to Bishop, Ca on our way to San Francisco via CA395 and read about Joseph House on TripAdvisor and was not disappointed.
The property is located off the main road, it is a beautiful property, well maintained and built on very large property. Our host Mariam was very interesting person and very knowlegeable of local history.
This was our first experience stayimg at B/B, but we felt right at home, after we checked in to our room. Nice size room, comfortable bed and view of beautiful yard with duck pond. There were many ducks, but we didn't hear them at night and just a little in the morning. I would much rather be awakened by ducks than roosters any day. We had dinner at a restaurant suggested by Mariam and it was fine. But her breakfast was amazing, especially her omelets. We were the only couple there that night and it was a very restful stop over in Bishop.
Thank you Mariam.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 22, 2008

This is a wonderful B&B. Myriam, one of the owners, greeted us with warmth and showed us around the property, including our impeccably clean and nicely decorated room. Later that evening she brought us wine and hors d'oeuvres in the garden while we watched a mother mallard and her crew of ducklings in the pond. Myriam offered wonderful advice regarding where to have dinner and made our reservations (you can walk to most any restaurant). She also gave us great advice about our daytime destinations (Bristle Cone Forest, etc). And of course the breakfast was wonderful – fresh and homemade.

Myriam in the reason folks stay in great B&Bs and pay a little more…she truly made our trip relaxing and wonderful.

BTW - there is a video library and a nice collection of natural resource related books.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aarski_8
Reviewed October 23, 2007

Delightful experience all around. Chose to stay here two nights while touring the surrounding sights. Well located for that purpose. The Inn itself is delightful. Our rooms were comfortable, with all the usual amenities. Sitting out back in their wonderful backyard while we were served wine and nibbles, was a special treat. The owners are very friendly and accommodating. Breakfasts were very tasty and served in a a lovely room. They seemed most willing to accommodate any special dietary needs. All in all a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 23, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Joseph House Inn for just one night in Aug '07. Because this attractive Inn turned out to be such a wonderful gem I felt it deserved another positive review.

The property consists of manicured lawns w/ plenty of chairs, lots of mature trees (and believe me, shade is a very welcome thing in the hot desert!), and a pretty pond.

We immediately felt welcomed by Myriam, Hilde and Max, the gracious owners of Joseph House Inn. After settling into our very attractive cottage (the Green Room) we decided to sit outside under the shade trees. Before we knew it, Myriam arrived with wine and freshly baked appetizers - a welcome sight after our loooong 6+ hour drive!

The Green Room was spacious, comfortable, nicely decorated, quiet, and extremely clean. This cottage also had a shaded patio with its own private entrance.

An unbelievablely scruptuous breakfast was served out on the main patio the next morning. My husband and I both felt it was the best breakfast we have ever had -- ANYWHERE!: coffee, fresh squeezed OJ, freshly baked banana nut bread, scrambled eggs, homemade bratwurst, hash browns, toast, large platter of fresh fruit... simply amazing!!

The Joseph House Inn is more than just a B&B - it is a place where you really feel at home. This family shows a real interest in its guests without intruding on their privacy. They go the extra mile and it shows.

This was just a one night stopover for us but we could have easily stayed there an entire week. Thank you Hilde, Max, and Myriam!

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank JLHCalif
Reviewed August 4, 2007

We stayed at the Joseph House Inn for one night at the end of May. The Inn is in a lovely peaceful setting within walking distance of the main street of Bishop with its shops and restaurants. The gardens are beautifully maintained with a patio area and pond complete with ducks! We stayed in the Green Room with its comfortable king size bed and direct access to the garden. Myriam made us feel so welcome and was more than happy to provide helpful information for our trip. We enjoyed cheese and wine on the patio in the afternoon sun and a delicious breakfast the following morning before heading off to Yosemite. We will definitely return to the Joseph House Inn.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Chatham Park