“Great Food”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Temecula, California
“Great Food”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My family and I have stopped a couple of time for lunch in Bishop at the Holy Smoke Texas Style BBQ. Both times the service was great, warm and welcoming and the food was served hot. The price is higher than the Carl's next door but we think it is worth the money. We plan on stopping again the next time we travel to Bishop!!

• Visited September 2013

Santa Ana
“Love the portions!”
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Loved this place. Friendly people, family feel and fast service. Ask for Alexis and Macala as they were very friendly. I had the Texas Ranger which is a tri tip sandwich on a French roll with plenty slices of meat. My daughter had the Lil tex which was a perfect portion and fresh. Also had the corn bread that they did not skimp on. Definitely will stop again.

Visited January 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Hungry”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We were HUNGRY when we arrived in Bishop late wanting food. Holy Smoke was the answer.

Although as others have said eating off disposable plates etc. isn't all that great (not to mention pretty damn poor for the environment) however, the food more than made up for it.

Nice portions, good barbecue sauce (although hot could do with being a bit hotter IMO)

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Paul B
Los Angeles, California
“What happened?”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We stumbled upon HS Texas shortly after they first opened. It was nice and clean and the lunches we had were tasty and had potential. The most "off-putting" thing was eating off of plastic trays with paper. It does not lend itself to cutting and gives a impression of not being very sanitary, but that's the way they still do it, so...

I revisited HS Texas and the pork ribs I ordered were not that good. Now, BBQ fans are very hard to please, to begin with, but these ribs were dry and chewy. If I were to speculate, I would say they were cooked a while ago and then warmed up or kept warm for a long time. The only thing good about them was the glaze and the appearance, but not much else stands out. The Cole Slaw was rather plain tasting and the toast could use a toasting. Lastly, the portions were good, but the taste and dryness do not make it worth the price.

On a good note, the place continues to be clean and the servers are very "cheery" and probably the brightest part of the dining experience. I may try this place one more time in a few years to see if things improve.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank srarakawa
MESA
“BBQ with pizzazz”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I'm sure Holy Smoke has all the traditional BBQ faves, but I'm always one for trying unique combinations, and they deliver ... deliciously! (Dieters beware...don't think anything we tried would qualify for a heart-healthy, lo-calorie meal plan.)

Visited November 2013