“A fun dinner”

Holy Smoke Texas BBQ
Ranked #2 of 61 Restaurants in Bishop
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is really fun place to have dinner. The meat is excellent if you like smoked meat. Good salat, great atmosphere. Worth going there.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

The meat was amazing and served like it should be, with the sauce on the table. White bread and all the fixin's too. If you ever find yourself in Bishop, be SURE to eat here

1  Thank Jeff K
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I want to tell you this is the BEST BBQ shop ever! YOU HAVE TO STOP THERE!!! The meat was so tender and so testy! It was melted in your mouth. The BBQ smoke was unbelievable good! Prices are very good! One meal is enough for 2 people easily ! We were full from one Big Bubba !!!! YOU HAVE TO TRY IT!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Sometimes, vacationing in a small town, you eat good food and because it’s decent and there’s not much competition, you like it by dint of relativity. Not the case with Holy Smoke. I lived in Manhattan for 17 years and in DC for almost as long, so we’re familiar with what they fob off as BBQ. Moreover, my parents live in North Carolina, home of a lot of BBQ, and our daughter goes to college in Texas, so we have our bases covered.

Folks, this is the real thing.

My husband and I checked out this newbie after our 7-mile hike around Bishop Pass, at which point I was ready to eat anything short of mud. Husband went to Holy Smoke and picked up tri-tip beef, “Big Bubba,” and a rack of “High on the Hog Ribs” plus sides. All I can say is that I inhaled this food on our hotel balcony: good thing it was dark and the folks in the pool couldn't witness the scene, because I stopped eating only long enough to breathe. When it was over, all I could think of was how it was 23 hours until we could return to Holy Smoke, and we did. It was fantastic the next night too.

Food for two, with two sides, runs about $40. You can spend less – they have sandwiches running $7-$10; a quarter chicken with a side for $9; and a salad with meat for $10. The most expensive item on the menu is a full rack for $19, which will carry you through for leftovers unless you’ve been on a desert island since 2009.

There are tables inside and out – nothing fancy, but they’ll get the job done if you have a bunch of kids. Holy Smoke also sells wine and beer to make sure you don't auction off the kids.

They’re open from 11am to 9:30 or, as the super-friendly owner says, “until the food runs out.”

1  Thank Kenneth A
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stopped in Bishop for a night on the way to Yosemite. We asked the guy at the front desk in our hotel where he would recommend for food and he advised Holy Smokes. The staff were lovely. We even got to sample the beef brisket before deciding what to order. The beef was delishous, tender and beautifully smoked.

Been to Holy Smoke Texas BBQ? Share your experiences!