“Great sashimi, exceeded my expectations”

Yamatani Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 61 Restaurants in Bishop
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Surprisingly good for an isolated town like Bishop. It is a large place and even on Monday it was full with mostly locals and a few tourists. The setting and the atmosphere is rather spartan, with a huge large room and a big bar in the center. There were some decent wines on the list, a few beers on tap and an extensive list of great sake, unfortunately none available by the glass. I had a roll for appetizer, which was OK, and a sashimi plate which was truly outstanding, fresh, tasty and well presented. It was equal or better than very good sushi places in New York or San Francisco. The service was adequate and the price very reasonable. I would highly recommend it, especially based upon the alternatives.

1  Thank marcopolo111

Reviewed July 22, 2012

The food is very tasty and well prepared. Sushi was excellent. My only complaint is there was no Japanese music for atmosphere. Music was good oldies, but I like the Japanese music. Other than that, service, food were GREAT!

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We went there on spec after a short walk from our hotel, particularly as my kids love Japanese food. Like many places outside the main centres, the kitchen shuts at 9:00 so we were the last people there, but were not rushed as our waitress was friendly. While I would not describe the food as better than average, my kids loved it. The wine selection was not great & the air con was turned up a little high for my taste.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We ate dinner here as it was right across the street from the hotel. They were not very busy but service was very slow. The food was good but it took 20 minutes after we had finished to get our check.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

amazing food! well priced, friendly staff. Need I say more.