Bishop Creek Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Bishop
See available hotels
View Hotel
All reviewshoneymoon cabingreat place to get awaynew ownersprivacylakescreek
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed in one of the cabins at Bishop Creek Resorts in July 2011. We loved it!

As far as location, you cannot get much better. Wedged between great hiking and fishing.

Although these are basic cabins, we had everything we needed...coffee maker, fridge, microwave, toaster, stove and basic dishes and utensils. Yes these are older cabins, and it is not the spa, but it was like camping but with a great bed. Complete with fire pit, picnic table and bbq.

Yes, I think that bear lockers would be an improvement, but from what we experienced, the outside trash was collected often...

The staff was very friendly...complete with the friendly resort dog.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants a rustic experience in a great location.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RockyMountainGirl67
Reviewed October 2, 2010

BCL has got to be a place that God looks down on and says" That's what it's all about". From the front desk and Tina and Derrick to the owner Gary all employees are there for the customer. The restaurant has a daily special and the beef is Harris Ranch, one of me favorites. The cooks do all the cooking from scratch so it's like a home style meal at a little higher price than you might think but well worth the cost. They have a well stocked store for all the fisherman and a ton of cloths, which we buy and for the little dudes and dudets....toys. Something for everyone. The bar has no foo foo drinks so if you want a mai tai go to town. During our visits we have gotten to know all the staff by first name and have became friends with the regulars. If something is missing, ask and you can get it sent to your cabin. I forgot to mention we have been coming up to BCL for 5 years and have looked other places and for my money, this is where I go. There are a number of lakes, ponds and well stocked creeks through the canyon that we have spent hours getting our limits out of. If you don't want to eat at the restaurant, there is alwasy your kitchen in the cabin. It is stocked with enough utinsels to make a great meal. Just remember to clean up your own mess before you leave. Firepits, and a BBQ for your steak and fish. That's what they have...Ths is how we feel.
It's like heaven to us. We get away from the city life and enjoy the place God created. We don't care that the carpets are used by hundreds of people a year or the beds have a tons of butt's that have laid in them. We are there because the staff makes us feel welcome, the food is great, and we enjoy the creature comforts of home in the High Sierra. When we want a drink it's a few steps to the bar and we walk home. Note: Long Island Iced Tea as created by Derrick... Not Tina! I have recommended friends to visit the area and have introduced friends for the weekends we spend at the cabin and we all leave tired, happy and mad that the trip is over. Do you have a place like that? Give it a chance and make up your own mind. Nina and I give it a 10

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Durwards
Reviewed July 31, 2010

We arrived on Sunday night...the lamp between the two twin beds in the front room had no lampshade and there was no outlet nearby to plug it in! We had to beg for an extension cord so that we could use the lamp. The water heater wasn't working and the cabin carpet didn't look like it had been vacuumed (even though there was a note suggesting that we tip the maid for cleaning before we came!) On THURSDAY, they brought us a microwave (when I said it would have been helpful when we arrived they claimed that we were told at check-in, which isn't true). We had to ask for dishcloths-we used our face towels for the first two days to wash dishes. The bath towels were small and very cheap (very rough on the skin). The "kitchen" was very narrow and you couldn't pass thru it if someone was at the sink/stove. The dining area had cheap chairs and was too small for the 4 people that the cabin claimed to be for. (3 barely fit at the table). There was a bear in the area at least two nights. Our last night, it knocked over trash cans (that were not bear proofed and did not even have lids) and had a feast. We told the staff and they said that they "like the bear" and that they put everything in bear proof containers at night (BS-ours was there for 3 nights before it was emptyed). Our cabin was set back about 20 feet from the main road-we had a nice view of cars driving by...so rustic, NOT! About the only positive thing that I can say is that the shower had good water pressure and was hot.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank mom2sage
Reviewed July 31, 2010

Stayed here for five nights with my sister and friend with the purpose of our trip to hike in the Sierra Mountains near Bishop. I will first mention the positive aspects of staying here. This lodging is near two lovely lakes, South Lake and Sabrina Lake and both lakes have trailheads into the wilderness (as well as supposedly good fishing). The hiking was very enjoyable here with beautiful scenery. The beds in the cabin were comfortable. Staff seemed helpful enough. There is a complimentary continental breakfast served to guests which includes cereals, bagels, packaged pastries. I will now outline my concerns. Upon check-in we soon discovered we had no hot water although this was remedied by a staff member. The cabin is very small with an odd design. The cabin is supposed to sleep four people with two twin beds in the front room and a tiny bedroom in the back with a queen(?) bed. I slept in the queen bed by myself and manuevering around the bed that was inches from the wall and closet was not easy. I can't imagine sharing the room with someone else due to the tight fit. There is a narrow kitchen with refrigerator, stove, sink, etc. and limited cooking, cutlery and dishware. There is a small round table with four chairs in the corner, but seating four people around it would have been almost impossible. A lamp was sitting on the nightstand between the two twin beds, but there was no outlet to plug it in. We had to ask for an extension cord. There was no lampshade on the lamp, just a bulb. A staff member eventually brought us a different lamp after we insisted, but initially said he would not be able to locate one. There was no microwave provided until we had been there for four days. A brand new microwave was brought to our cabin still in the box but no available space to put it in the cramped kitchen so the staff member had to take it away. We were not able to get dish towels to clean the dishware/kitchen for a day or so, had to use bath towels. No paper towels were provided. The cabin was dingy with a filthy stuffed chair to sit on. There is no insulation, you can very clearly hear what is said from the front room while in the bedroom. The cabin sits on the road and it was nice to use the firepit, but you are sitting close to the road around your fire watching cars occasionally drive by. The setting with the mountains is okay, but the grounds of the lodge are not that attractive. It appeared that at one time, there were more trees around the cabins, but I noticed a number of aspen had been cut down, not sure why that would have been necessary. A trash can is provided for each cabin outside and has no cover or way to secure it. Our last night a bear was rummaging through the cans of the cabins, knocking them down, banging around, strewing the contents. It was difficult to sleep with all the racket. The next morning we had trash all over. When I mentioned upon checkout the mess by the cabin, I was told that it was not a problem, they liked having the bears and they would clean it right up. I was surprised that a facility in the Sierras would not be more bear proof as bears getting into food containers can become a real nuisance and aggressive as well. Plus not very healthy for the bears. Our cars were parked near the trash cans, luckily they were not damaged. The lodge has a tiny store and a small restaurant/bar with limited menu. We did not eat there as we had other plans to fix our own food, but the menu prices were too high, so we would have gone into town of Bishop to eat if we had needed a meal out.

Now, some of these issues would be more acceptable if the cabin price was more reasonable, but at $200 per night, it was just too much to pay for a run down, tiny cabin with very little amenities, situated on the side of the road. I am shocked by how much is charged here and I can't understand why people would be willing to pay that kind of money. I travel frequently and this is one of my least favorite accommodations I have stayed in and probably the poorest value for the money. My traveling partners were also not happy with this place. I cannot recommend and if in the area again will be definitely staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends