“Looks can be deceiving”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by the old guy in the laundromat who said it was great food but a bit pricey. Pretty ordinary looking from the outside but on entry the fun begins. This place has been run by the same family for years. Early pioneers of the area and memorabilia covers the walls. Even an old family member came over for a chat. The service was wonderful. Really felt you were sitting in some bodies dining room. The food was excellent even though spaghetti was a choice with every dish instead of vegetables. The bologna is sauce was fabulous and the blue cheese salad dressing was to die for. The meal was finished with a spumoni for everyone. A really delightful touch. There was a birthday at another table and they were made to feel special. Well done Rossi family. A thoroughly enjoyable night.

2  Thank margtierney

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We go from the L.A. area to Mammoth skiing many times a year and this has become a traditional stop for us on the way up. We actually time our trip to make sure they are open when we pull into Big Pine. It may be expensive to some, but I've paid more for a lot less. They do take reservations & sometimes we do call ahead while we are diving up. Yes, we do have a favorite booth!

The family & local history on the walls is very interesting and genuine. The attached small bar looks like something out of a western novel. The place itself is not furnished all that well but that is part of the charm. It really is a step into the past and that is why we like it so much. We especially love the piano player who plays older songs like from the 40s and some classical. We often linger after dinner just to hear a few more songs.

The food is very good, maybe not great in all respects -- but their homemade salad dressings, which they serve in small jars with really fresh cold lettuce are to die for! We have gotten some of both the blue cheese & thousand island to go and kept them in our iced cooler for the whole weekend until we are home again. I usually get their pasta which is lasagna, ravioli or spaghetti. They are very accommodating about modifying orders so that you get what you want. The delicious bread and ice cream are nice touches.

Something that is a bit odd but fun at the same time is their wine cellar that you can pick out your dinner wine from. It is actually down some stairs with a dirt floor and dusty wooden shelves. What a kick!

Overall this is a funky place that you would not expect in a place like Big Pine, but really fun to eat at. We have also found the service to be very good. I have taken several friends there on ski trips and they all thought it was a great experience. They do have rooms for special occasions although Big Pine itself does not offer much.

2  Thank Walter M
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This place is interesting. I loved the ambiance of this old west place. The menu is expensive, but we asked about the pizza (it says on the menu to ask about the pizza). It was great after a long day of riding. My husband and I split one for about $18, so inexpensive compared to the rest of the menu....and it was really good! What I loved most was the pianist...great Gershwin and old tunes. They bring spumoni at the end of the meal; very creamy and wonderful. I'd forgotten ice cream could be that good. The waitress was very personable.

1  Thank BarbinDesert
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and I were passing through Big Pine on our way to the White Mountain Wilderness. We like to avoid preparing meals when we do these short camp outs so we decided to get a bite to eat in Big Pine before heading up into the White mountains for the night. Stopping at Rossi’s was by chance. It was on the right side of the road and the lights were on. When we entered the hostess asked if we had reservations, but having room, she sat us almost immediately. The atmosphere was homey, tables with plasticized tablecloths, and an old stand up piano, and walls covered with vintage photographs of Big Pine and the Rossi family.
Dinner for me was the Sirloin steak with a large baked potato - with the works. The meat was prepared to order, all fat trimmed off -100% edible and delicious. My wife had pasta with Alfredo sauce. Dinner was served with a large family style salad with homemade dressing – Thousand Islands and Blue Cheese. There was ample salad; as a matter of fact the attentive waitress brought us a second bowl of salad. It was great. Also served was a large round loaf of a coarse whole wheat bread with real butter. This, as well as a glass of wine, a coke, ice tea, and two ice creams came to $53. It was more $ then I planned to spend for dinner, but it was delicious and well served. I left a $10 tip as the help was very attentive, and I was so pleased with the experience. Next time I will call ahead and let them know were coming – by the time we finished, the room was full. Loved the guy on the piano too!

1  Thank ohtony
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We had dinner at Rossi's Steak and Spaghetti Restaurant when staying overnight in Big Pine. The atmosphere of the restaurant, as other reviewers have mentioned, reflected years of family business (there were lots of what looked like old family photos around). A large number of farming and ranching implements were used as decorations.

We were very disappointed in the food as well as in the service (slow and not especially graceful), especially after a positive recommendation from a local person. The food was way overpriced, when taking into account the location, the decor (which could be described as somewhat shabby), and the mediocre quality of the meal. The filet mignon was good, but the ribs were not, and the pasta was just OK, nothing special. A big selling point seemed to be the home-cooked bread and salad dressings, but, again, they were no better than the typical diner fare.

As a positive note, it's worth mentioning the live piano music, which greatly enhanced (ameliorated) the atmosphere.

5  Thank fresma