“Starlight Motel, Big Pine, California”
Review of Starlight Motel

Starlight Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Big Pine
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This motel is located along the Eastern Sierra mountains, on Hwy. 395 south of Bishop, CA. It is an older place but very well cared for. The landscaping was quite nice and made this an inviting overnight stop. The rooms aren't all that large, but not a closet either. The bathrooms were well maintained and everything was especially clean and tidy. They looked like new but were as old as the motel, probably back into the 50's, but well maintained. Sort of a retro look.

I was towing a small utility trailer with a canoe and when I explained my situation the manager said that I could unhook it and park it in a space adjacent to where I parked the vehicle. The manager was extremely helpful and nice with me about it. Another place just said "no trailers" and turned me away. There were convenient posts supporting the porch that I could chain the trailer up to to prevent its "wandering off". I doubt that would have really been a problem though. Big Pine is a small town and doesn't seem to have much of a crime problem.

There is satellite television with the usual complement of channels and something for everyone. But with the surroundings, why sit at the room watching TV? The Eastern Sierra mountains have to be one of the most spectacular sights in Western America.

Would I stay there again? Absolutely! The price was fair and less than I would have expected in Bishop, which is only a few miles to the north. The town is pretty quiet and the motel especially so.

Room Tip: For an overnight stay, this is a good choice. Rates are reasonable, service was great and it's...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank John B
There are newer reviews for Starlight Motel

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Don't know what this place is like and I don't care if I never find out. My husband and I were on a 3 week, cross country road trip with our daughter and 3 of our grandchildren. Never knowing where we would be on a particular day, we didn't make reservations for lodging until several hours before we expected to arrive at a particular place. My daughter called the Starlight Motel to ask a few questions..such as price, if they had accommodations for 6, amenities...etc.....and I guess the desk clerk could not be bothered answering her questions. She was asking the third and final question and he hung up on her. That upset me. It was rude. So this review is rated by how we were treated on the telephone. I know nothing about the accommodations.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ladymedonna
TusharOza, General Manager at Starlight Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2016

We appreciate your feedback and sincerely regret your past unfavorable experience.

I am delighted to inform you that the Starlight Motel has different owners & I am personally overseeing the management of this property. I promise you outstanding customer service & welcome you back so you may experience our warm friendly environment.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Do not recommend this place at all!! WAY overpriced for what you are getting . . . Rooms are dirty and bed stunk. Do not disturb sign does not mean anything to this place. A/C loud and kept getting turned off when we would leave room. Would come back to a HOT room. Bare bones place charging high end prices.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Matt D

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

My first disappointment was that they offered no decaf coffee - not in the room or in the lobby. My second disappointment was that when we asked for extra pillows the owner was not happy. He sighed and said he "would have to look for them." My third disappointment was the bathroom- an old sink and stall shower. There was a fish cleaning sink right around the corner from our room and an old styrofoam cooler on the ground. Not sure I would want to stay here even if I had been fishing all day!

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We've stayed here a number of times over the years on our way to Yosemite or Death Valley. It's clean and nice and easy to park the motorcycle in front of the room to unload. We paid $75 for a Saturday night on a three-day weekend. We got up in the morning and had a great ride up to the Ancient Bristlecone Pines in the White Mountains (It is a fantastic ride for you motorcycle enthusiasts!).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BarbinDesert
Reviewed September 27, 2011

This was a good place and family that runs really nice. The Starlight is older but very, very clean and bed comfortable. They surprised me by having wireless connection! I was even able to borrow a blow dryer from the owner.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dana W
Reviewed August 21, 2011

It's hard for me to fairly rate motels along US395, I'm finding. At least during the summer, they are all overpriced compared to comparable motels elsewhere. The Starlight Motel is a basic place with cinderblock walls, but it was clean and comfortable and met our need to be near the road to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest so we could get an early start. Mild downsides were the relatively high price ($72/night, I think it was), the WiFi key was not written down in the room and it was too late to wake the management to get it (be sure to ask for it when you check in!), and a lack of available outlets (for charging all the electronic devices that two people carry with them, these days). But I'm giving it 4 stars, because overall it was fine and it turned out it wasn't close to the highest-priced comparable place we stayed at along the route.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sc00byD00byD00

We appreciate your feedback and regret your past unfavorable experience.

I am delighted to inform you that the Starlight Motel has different owners & I am personally overseeing the management of this property. I have made notes based on your comments and will incorporate the necessary changes to make your next stay more comfortable with us. I promise you outstanding customer service & welcome you back so you may experience our warm friendly environment.

Thank you for drawing our attention to the issues. We promise to address your concerns and shall strive to enhance our services for all customers. I appreciate your comments and sincerely thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Big Pine
#7 of 20 in Bishop
Bristlecone Manor Motel
Bristlecone Manor Motel
#2 of 3 in Big Pine

Been to Starlight Motel? Share your experiences!