“Should be called the "Bare Bones Motel." If you like no frills at all, this place will do.”
Review of Starlight Motel

Starlight Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Big Pine
Monrovia, California
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

My first disappointment was that they offered no decaf coffee - not in the room or in the lobby. My second disappointment was that when we asked for extra pillows the owner was not happy. He sighed and said he "would have to look for them." My third disappointment was the bathroom- an old sink and stall shower. There was a fish cleaning sink right around the corner from our room and an old styrofoam cooler on the ground. Not sure I would want to stay here even if I had been fishing all day!

• Stayed June 2013
TusharOza, General Manager at Starlight Motel, responded to this review, April 5, 2016
We appreciate your feedback and regret your past unfavorable experience.

I am delighted to inform you that the Starlight Motel has different owners & I am personally overseeing the management of this property. I promise you outstanding customer service & welcome you back so you may experience our warm friendly environment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ridgecrest, California
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We've stayed here a number of times over the years on our way to Yosemite or Death Valley. It's clean and nice and easy to park the motorcycle in front of the room to unload. We paid $75 for a Saturday night on a three-day weekend. We got up in the morning and had a great ride up to the Ancient Bristlecone Pines in the White Mountains (It is a fantastic ride for you motorcycle enthusiasts!).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BarbinDesert
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed September 27, 2011

This was a good place and family that runs really nice. The Starlight is older but very, very clean and bed comfortable. They surprised me by having wireless connection! I was even able to borrow a blow dryer from the owner.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dana W
Northern California
Reviewed August 21, 2011

It's hard for me to fairly rate motels along US395, I'm finding. At least during the summer, they are all overpriced compared to comparable motels elsewhere. The Starlight Motel is a basic place with cinderblock walls, but it was clean and comfortable and met our need to be near the road to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest so we could get an early start. Mild downsides were the relatively high price ($72/night, I think it was), the WiFi key was not written down in the room and it was too late to wake the management to get it (be sure to ask for it when you check in!), and a lack of available outlets (for charging all the electronic devices that two people carry with them, these days). But I'm giving it 4 stars, because overall it was fine and it turned out it wasn't close to the highest-priced comparable place we stayed at along the route.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sc00byD00byD00
We appreciate your feedback and regret your past unfavorable experience.

I am delighted to inform you that the Starlight Motel has different owners & I am personally overseeing the management of this property. I have made notes based on your comments and will incorporate the necessary changes to make your next stay more comfortable with us. I promise you outstanding customer service & welcome you back so you may experience our warm friendly environment.

Thank you for drawing our attention to the issues. We promise to address your concerns and shall strive to enhance our services for all customers. I appreciate your comments and sincerely thank you.
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We've stayed here twice, and we've been quite satisfied with our stay each time. It's a very simple "road trip" type stop-off motel, but it serves its purpose well. There are only a handful of rooms, but you will probably not have a hard time getting a room if necessary. The rooms are basic, but have all the things you'd probably like or need, including a fridge, microwave, comfy bed, AC (very important in Big Pine!), and new flat screen TV's. The building is a brick building with brick walls, so you will rarely hear your neighbors. If this place was in a more touristy area, I'm sure these rooms would cost twice as much.

Why would you stay in Big Pine? Well first of all, it's cheaper than staying in Bishop, the nearest "big" town. If you are a hiker/backpacker, it's a nice place to stay if you are coming back from the mountains (the Big Pine Creek area has a lot of nice areas to hike/backpack). I will continue to stay here when I visit the Eastern Sierra mountains.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cthenn
Southern California
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Our family has been coming to Big Pine for several years in the spring and fall to fish in the area. The motel we keep coming back to is the Starlight. Keep in mind, this is Big Pine, not a large metropolitan area with four-star hotels, great restaurants and a night life. Viewing the motel in that light, the Starlight is always very clean and very quiet (for being on Highway 395). The rooms are basic, but the owners have begun to renovate. Some rooms now have a flat screen TV and new flooring, plus new paint inside and out. The rooms also have refrigerators and coffee makers. The place caters to hunters and fishermen, so there is a large freezer and fish cleaning area on site. The motel also has an nice shared patio area with BBQ and two nice grass areas to relax and have an evening cocktail or two. My only complaint over the years has been the lack of an ice machine. Ice is doled out in small buckets, so we usually come armed with our own ice. Also, the owners are not always in, so if you leave a message to make a reservation, be sure to follow-up. That said, over the years we have never had a mistake in our reservations.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Nipton501
Phelan, California
Reviewed October 22, 2009

I have been staying at the Starlight Motel in Big Pines since the early 80s. Rather than camp, when I go hunting in that area, I prefer to stay at the Starlight. The rooms are always clean, quiet and the TVs work just fine. There is good dining near (enough)by.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Days Inn Bishop
Days Inn Bishop
#15 of 20 in Bishop
Holiday Inn Express Bishop

Been to Starlight Motel? Share your experiences!