“Should have checked TripAdvisor before booking with Cool Cabins...”

and 1 more site!
Big Bear Cool Cabins
Los Angeles, California
“Should have checked TripAdvisor before booking with Cool Cabins...”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Ah, where to begin? First off, the original booking company we used, Red Awning, booked us in the Bear Necessities cabin with Cool Cabins for Memorial Day weekend (we have the email confirmation). When I called Cool Cabins on Friday morning to see if we could check in slightly earlier than 4pm, I was informed that the cabin had already been rented (!). Barbara was helpful, though, and did send through a list of cabins that were available at similar pricepoints for Memorial Day. Priority One was for us to find someplace to stay...so we ended up choosing Little Brown Bear, which happened to be available. Some of the property reviews on the Cool Cabins indicated that the carpeting was dirty, the furniture run down and uncomfortable, and there were holes in the walls. However, those reviews were posted over a year ago, and mgmt had responded to the review assuring upgrades, so we felt confident in our decision.

We arrived at the office to pick up the keys. Service was adequate, if distracted. We received instructions on how to access the cabin & keys, so went to the property.

We arrived at the property (in the fog and rain) and the lockbox code did not work. I called the Cool Cabins office, who said that they would send someone. We waited in the dark in the rain in our car for 30 minutes - no one showed. So we called Cool Cabins again, who said they would send a maintenance guy and that they "didn't know what happened" to the person that they thought they had sent originally. I would like to point out that all this time, they had my cell phone and could have called me with an update. So another twenty minutes later, no sign of the maintenance man. We called Cool Cabins again, who said he was 'on his way', and we started to make our contingency plans (find another hotel to stay the night, etc.). By the way, it is still raining, and is now dark. When the maintenance man showed up, he tried the lockbox and couldn't make it work either. Then when he called the office, someone on the other line gave him a different lockbox code, which thankfully worked. My question is, why didn't Cool Cabins give us the correct lockbox code either 1) when we checked in, or 2) when we called and said that the lockbox wasn't working? Either way, poor service & organization all around. We finally had access to the cabin, and decided to stay the night.

The cabin itself was barely serviceable -- carpet was filthy, including patches of stiff crud on the floor where something had been spilled and not cleaned up. Furniture (1 couch, 2 folding chairs) was caved in in the center so difficult to sit on (let alone sit on with any sort of comfort). Luckily we brought our own zero gravity chairs and ended up using those all weekend. Main bedroom was serviceable, bathroom was OK. Kitchen was listed as 'fully stocked', which translated to a plastic shopping bag of assorted silverware on top of a small microwave, and a handful of plates. At least the refrigerator and dishwasher worked...

I would definitely not stay in this property (Little Brown Bear) again, and will also not be using Cool Cabins to book my next stay in Big Bear. However, we did learn one helpful tip from the owner of our backup Bed & Breakfast - if you encounter any issues with your cabin rental in Big Bear, you should call the Big Bear Code Compliance hotline immediately (909) 866-CODE.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank k23p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Loma Linda, California
Reviewed March 14, 2012

These guys are the epitome of cheap and penny pinching. We stayed at 39342 Aurora Road. This place was run by Cool Cabins and owned by a cheesy, cheap guy. When you're spending thousands of dollars a night for a cabin you should have access to the rooms. These guys lock off the rooms including the master!! Secondly, they charge you for garbage collection. Yeah you heard that right. $5000 a night doesn't get you garbage removal. I'm not talking about cleaning up a messy house. I'm talking about Cool Cabins making you drive your garbage in bags, to the city dump or pay $50 for them to do it. Really? Obviously when staying here you can afford the $50 but it's the principal. Combine that with no access to half the rooms in the house, a dirty spa, rules against using the DVD player, a laundry list of things you have to do before departure, and signs everywhere telling you to rat your neighbors out if they have too many guests, and this place leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth! Suffice it to say we are never coming back to the Aurora house or using Cool Cabins again!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank m k

Travelers are raving about these Big Bear Region hotels

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We rented the 1classic cabin do presidents day weekend and overall it was an awesome place to stay. Check in was easy just go to the big bear cool cabin office near the center of big bear city to check in and get the directions to the cabin. The cabin we rented was clean, the electric and heaters worked great and there was a big flat screen tv in the living room. There was also a great wood deck with a propane grill out back. It was covered in snow when we stayed but would be a great place to hang out during the spring/summer. I should also mention that cool cabins gives a 10% military discount so if you rent from this company b sure to mention if you are in the military. Our weekend centered around snow boarding and we were less than 5 mins from big bear snow summit which was fantastic considering how tired we were at the end of the day. I highly recommend the 1classic cabin for families with kids as there was plenty of space for my husband, myself and our two young sons ages 3 and 5.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Nikinjl
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I had to delete and recreate my review because of the outright lie of a response posted by the management.

Here is my original review: (We stayed 2/25/2011)
-----
We stayed at adirondack. The cabin was nice but dirty. There were cobwebs everywhere. Two of the beds downstairs were broken; if you sat on it, it would fall to the side. The air filter for the heating system was extremely old, full of dust, and halfway on.

The cabin is listed as being able to park 4 cars, yeah right! When we arrived, the driveway was iced over and only one car was able to fit. You have no access to the garage, so a max of 2 cars fit. I have no idea where they got the 4 from, especially since the street is very narrow and you can't park on the street during snow season.

When we got inside the cabin, one of the beds upstairs was not made and the sheets were just tossed around. We called and told them about the driveway and about the bed. They said they would send someone over to make the bed and bring ice melt for the driveway. We left so they could take care of it and when we returned, there was a trashbag at the front steps with fresh sheets and no ice melt.
We called again and they sent someone out to make the bed, but the icemelt never came. We ended up buying our own ice melt and a pickaxe to take care of the driveway problem. We arrived around 2pm and the bed was finally made at around 7pm. Sure we could have made the bed ourselves, but it was the principal and the money we paid that kept us from doing so. I felt bad for the ladies that came to make the bed and tipped them for making the bed, I'm sure it wasn't them that left the sheets on the front porch and it was cold and snowing.

It snowed that weekend and we got blocked in the driveway by the plow piling up snow. We didn't bother to call the management company due to the fantastic service we received prior. (sarcasm) We dug ourselves out.

Overall we enjoyed the cabin but were very dissatisfied with the management company. They have very poor service and low quality in what they do. No one seems to check the cabins because the condition of the cabin was definitely not satisfactory for rental.

If you want service and a clean cabin, DO NOT rent from big bear cool cabins. It was our first, and our last time renting with them.
-----

This is the management response:
-----
Thank you for taking the time to share information regarding your stay; your feedback allowed me to address these issues and correct them immediately. The problems you experienced have been noted and are in the process of being resolved. According to our records, management did issue a refund in the amount of $200.00 due to the issues you experienced. We would like you to know that customer satisfaction is our main priority and we deeply apologize for the service and issues you received. Our records also indicated that we did send housekeeping to remedy the cleanliness, but you were not at the cabin when they arrived. There was also no key left in the lock box at the premise, which did prevent the crew from being able to clean the home and make the beds. We also sent a maintenance technician to the home with ice melt, and to look at the parking situation. I am looking further into this, to see if he ever made it out. During the winter months, snow does not accomodate our guests and the parking at many of our cabins. Snowplows are to go out and plow the driveway as best as they can, but when a car is at the cabin they are legally not allowed to plow, due to anything that may happen with a car being present. Once again thank you for taking the time to share this information, we hope that we can extend our hospitality to you in the future, to show you that we can do a lot better in regards to customer service, cleanliness... the whole picture. If there is anything I can be of assistance with please feel free to give me a call or email me anytime.

The Big Bear Cool Cabins Team
-----

I am outraged and re-posted this because you cannot respond to the management response.
Pretty much, they did NOT refund us $200. I have the credit card records to prove I paid the full amount. Management, do you have a refund receipt to back your claim?? They didn't even apologize when we checked out at the office. All phone calls to them during our stay were answered with attitude. When I called about the bed upstairs, they said they were going to send someone and we specifically told them we would be out. They told us to leave the key in the lock box and we DID, my guess is they didn't even check. The "technician" for the driveway never came and like I said, we had to clear the ice and hardened snow out ourselves. My original thought stands:

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Avg2424
Fontana, California
Reviewed February 10, 2012

My family and I had the pleasure to spend the weekend in "Misty Morning". It had everything!!! Dvds in every room and cable. Fireplace for romantic nights and fun for the kids. And a tempur pedic king size bed in the main bedroom.
The kitchen was equipped with everything I needed to make some warm meals!! We already are planning to go again.

• Stayed February 2012
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We rented the Bear Hug Hideout for a weekend in January and had an absolute blast! Checking in was easy and took less than 10 minutes, the house was clean and ready for our arrival, the parking was ample, and the location was less than a mile from Snow Summit! We've been renting cabins in Big Bear for 3 years now and BBCC was by far the easiest and most pain-free experience we've had. Everything was perfect. We will 100% use them again for next year's trip

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
California
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I booked and cancelled a cabin within 1-2 hours and was told my card would not be charged for the full amount. HOWEVER, my credit card was charged and now I'm in the process of disputing the several thousands of dollars with my credit card company and Cool Cabins. Their service is anything but cool and I wouldn't ever use them again. They are dishonest and have stolen my money.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family